Disgusterous

Author Topic: Downfall (Der Untergang)  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Downfall (Der Untergang)
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Finally got around to watching this last night!

What an amazing, startling, stunning, shocking movie!  eeek:

Quote from: Amazon
The riveting subject of Downfall is nothing less than the disintegration of Adolph Hitler in mind, body, and soul. A 2005 Academy Award nominee for best foreign language film, this German historical drama stars Bruno Ganz as Hitler, whose psychic meltdown is depicted in sobering detail, suggesting a fallen, pathetic dictator on the verge on insanity, resorting to suicide (along with Eva Braun and Joseph and Magda Goebbels) as his Nazi empire burns amidst chaos in mid-1945. While staging most of the film in the claustrophobic bunker where Hitler spent his final days, director Oliver Hirschbiegel dares to show the gentler human side of der Fuehrer, as opposed to the pure embodiment of evil so familiar from many other Nazi-era dramas. This balanced portrayal does not inspire sympathy, however: We simply see the complexity of Hitler's character in the greater context of his inevitable downfall, and a more realistic (and therefore more horrifying) biographical portrait of madness on both epic and intimate scales. By ending with a chilling clip from the 2002 documentary Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary, this unforgettable film gains another dimension of sobering authenticity. --Jeff Shannon, Amazon.com

Yeah, yeah, all that and more too… I think it is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen – the acting of Bruno Ganz is quite remarkable in the depth of his passion… I was left breathless…

If you never plan on watching another film in your life you should see this one first…

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Downfall (Der Untergang)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »
 rubschin: I may rent it then.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »
rubschin: I may rent it then.
Worth seeing however you obtain it...  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »
I've just worked out what I have watched on TV in the past week. The second half of a football match involving Germany and ........ er ........... some other country. There was a thunder storm somewhere that interferred with the pictures for a while and they substituted comentary from Radio Five Live whilst the problems were resolved...... That's it.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I've just worked out what I have watched on TV in the past week. The second half of a football match involving Germany and ........ er ........... some other country. There was a thunder storm somewhere that interferred with the pictures for a while and they substituted comentary from Radio Five Live whilst the problems were resolved...... That's it.
Um...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
Our TV remains firmly its box eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
Um...  rubschin:

That said the damn thing is on from 6am until 8.45 and again from 3.30 until 11pm every day. I just don't go into the room, where it sits, very often.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:07:19 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

Mr Wench went to watch the missing portion on the iplayer. It made the unmissable missable.  Banghead