Author Topic: Quiz for know it alls.  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Quiz for know it alls.
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't.  These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several  growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?   

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?   

5. In many liquor stores you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is
whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?     

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.     

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?   

8.  Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'   
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Quiz for know it alls.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
Answers To  Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends ... Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward s .  Niagara Falls (The rim is  worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons ... Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside ... Strawberry.

5.  How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle
is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with 'dw' Dwarf, dwell and dwindle .

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar ... Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh Lettuce.

9.  Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S'   Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:25:36 AM »
I got about half right.  Re question 1 - what about Chess?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't.  These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
 Yacht/Dingy racing

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several  growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?  Rhubarb and Asparagus 

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?   Strawberries

5. In many liquor stores you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is
whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle It grew there

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.     Dwelling, Dwell, Dwindle

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?  Full stop, colon, semi colon, comma, question mark, exclamation mark, inverted commas, apostrophe, brackets, hyphen(?)  

8.  Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh. Cucumber

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'    Shoes, Socks, Sandals, Slippers, Spats, Skis
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
 evil: I didn't see you had posted the answers as well. I was too busy thinking.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
I got about half right.  Re question 1 - what about Chess?

Racing Dingies are a sport where the results are unknown until after the race because of the system of handicaps and appeals that apply. Anyone who has indulged in this sport will know that the results are never announced, nor known, until everyone is in the bar after the racing has finished.

I would also argue that the definition of English has been taken to mean American English in question 7 and in question 9 sneakers is deffo an Americanism.

In question eight ~ we certainly cook lettuce and I know many others who do. Google "Cooked Lettuce" and you'll get over 2 million hits. Many, many recipes and uses for cooked lettuce.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:38:41 AM by Snoopy »

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Good answer with cucumber Snoops, I've never seen anything other than fresh.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
You can buy cucumber pickled.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »

True but aren't they Dill Pickles?

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
Dill Pickles is an American comedienne, I think
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »
Dill Pickles is an American comedienne, I think

You are thinking of Don Rickles old boy.  whistle:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »

True but aren't they Dill Pickles?

They can call them what they like but technically they are still cucumbers!

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
Is there a technical definition of a cucumber then?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 12:41:15 PM »
Is there a technical definition of a cucumber then?

Go and sit on your stool

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
I note my question has not been answered  evil: