Disgusterous

Author Topic: ContactPoint  (Read 1377 times)

Online Nick

• Needs to get out more...
ContactPoint
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »
 Angry9:

Right, for those of you who don't know, but certainly for anyone with children, ContactPoint is the new national database which stores records of ALL children and is accessible to Social Services, Schools, Police anbd other numpties. They reckon it is  safe database (HA!) but conservative estimates reckon that about 500,000 people will have access to it.

It is possible to have your child's record 'shielded' to guard against unauthorised access. Essentially this means that whoever lgos in to a child's records is warned off but, if they persist, they are identified and an alert is posted to the Contact Point admin for investigation.

I want The Boy's record shielded. Why?

1. He is adopted
2. He has contact with 2 siblings
3. He has a 3rd sibling of whom he knows nothing, nor do most others know of this person
4. His natural Grandmother is an IT person in effing Social Services. It would be dangerous to have her getting access to those records (address etc.) and also dangerous for others to get access and discover more than he knows about his family structure (cats out of bags etc.)

So I call the named contact at the Council. She gives me another number. I call that. Person has never heard of Contact Point. I get shirty. Get passed on. Person refuses to give name. 'Someone will call you back, but why do you want record shielded?'

I refuse to say to someone I have not met who refuses to give name.

General air of suspicion.  evil:

If I get any further then it seems I have to go to see some effing Social Worker along with my passport, proof of address, begging bowl and countless other shite. Bastards should come to me. Their office is 20 miles away

I am now spoiling for a fight!

Got kids? Want their records clearly visible on a national database? No?

Go here: http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/deliveringservices/contactpoint/

Oh, important people (MPs and suchlike, can get thier kids' details shielded without problem!  evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: ContactPoint
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
 rubschin:

We have esatablished that
(i) Nulabour will do whatever they can to take total control and the fvck it up
(ii) Nick is not an important person
(iii) We need to do something about (i) but will have to accept (ii) as a fact of life.

Piss taking aside it is very worrying and I shall be taking steps to shield my children. ~ Thanks Nick for reminding me. This is just one more that the bastards have crept in with under the radar.

I am now going to disguise my boys by taking them for a haircut ~ even their mother will not know them on her return. eveilgrin:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Nick

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
I have also demanded that I see a copy of whatever information they hold about him. One assumes, of course, that the database is entirely accurate (NOT  evil:).

This, it seems, is not part of the deal. Oh yesit is matey, as far as I am concerned. Numpty has gone off to enquire further of manager and will 'call back'  evil:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
As I understand it, under the DPA you should be able to have access to the Boy's file as you are his legal guardian.

Having said that I wouldnt be surprised to find out that they have changed the rules to mean that you are the only person not allowed to see what is on there.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Nick

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
I agree, but they are dodging it!!  evil:

And I am his Dad, as well as his 'legal guardian' whatever that means

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
A legal guardian is a person who has the legal authority (and the corresponding duty) to care for the personal and property interests of another person, called a ward. Usually, a person has the status of guardian because the ward is incapable of caring for his or her own interests due to infancy, incapacity, or disability. Most countries and states have laws that provide that the parents of a minor child are the legal guardians of that child, and that the parents can designate who shall become the child's legal guardian in the event of death.

Given the government's track record of employing half trained mouth breathing morons for critical posts such as this, hitting them with that argument and following it up by telling them you are prepared to go to the Information Comissioner if need be may be the answer if they continue to dodge your request.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Nick

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Well, legally and in every other respect (bar shagging and sperm) I am his Dad. Even his new Birth Certificate says that. Adoption is adoption. 'Birth' parents are out of it and dead in the water.

But thanks for the clarification

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
You have a right in law to check that any and all information held is accurate. They have a time limit in which to respond to your written request and they are allowed to make a reasonable charge for the service (It is about a tenner). The only information they may withhold is where it can be argued that it is in the child's best interests to so do and you are entitled to challange that decision. The local authority will have a Data Protection Officer who is able to resolve local disputes and can overrule his/her colleagues. Ultimately arbitration, in the event that it cannot be resolved locally, will be by the Information Commissioner although some people have tried the High Court route but this is not normally necessary.

Online Nick

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
Here be some of the rools

Other key facts
• You can ask to see the information that is held about you on ContactPoint, and you can ask to have it corrected if it is wrong.
• ContactPoint uses the latest technology to keep your information safe and up-to-date.
• A young person’s information will be removed from ContactPoint when they turn 18 (apart from some young people who can stay on until they are 25 if they want to).
• ContactPoint will only be used by people whose job it is to help children and young people – such as a headteacher, a GP or a social worker. They must be trained and security cleared before they can use ContactPoint.
• There are rules about sharing information that all professionals must follow.

When I asked about point One I was told that this would have to be referred since numpty was not sure if I could see this. Of course I fooking can. They are not making it easy, thasall. Usual default position, I fear

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 01:03:34 PM »
Don't suppose it applies exists in Wales or Scotland tho'.

Online Nick

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »
National!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
But children's services in Wales are "devolved" ~ not that it matters as mine are out of the system now anyway and we will be moving on before many more years are out ~ three at most I would reckon. Once you are out of the system it is very hard for them to get you back in.

Say "National" in Wales and they instantly think you mean from Cardiff.

Online Nick

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »
Hmmm Contact Point is English

You, on the other hand, have this pile of shite: http://ssia.wlga.gov.uk/ics

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »
Hmmm Contact Point is English

You, on the other hand, have this pile of shite: http://ssia.wlga.gov.uk/ics

Indeed but it will take years to tag all their ears  lol:

Online Nick

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
Excellent!