Disgusterous

Author Topic: Mobility scooters  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Mobility scooters
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »
Whilst I fully appreciate that these allow their users freedom to get about, which they would otherwise be physically restricted from doing, what , if any are the roolz about using them.

Yesterday whilst shopping there was a wumman in her fully covered up, totally pimped up scooter ( think furry dice and butterflies stuck all over it ) hurtling along the pavement. Now if anyone was in front slowing her journey or prams obstructing her path she would blow her horn to inform you to get the heck out the way  evil:

They don't have any greater priority as a pedestrian ( motorised or not ) do they. It is not uncommon for the expectation to be that you have to get out the way !

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:19:39 AM by Miss Demeanor »
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Mobility scooters
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:55 AM »
I have one .... I can tell you that the "Pavement" variety are restricted to 4mph and most come equipped with a horn to warn of the rider's approach.
From my side of the story whenever I use mine I seem to become invisible. People frequently trip over me and claim they didn't see me.
I try to inconvenience as few people as possible but frankly the dawdlers of this world want too much space. A mobility scooter cannot turn sideways and squeeze past. We need to be given a bit of room. I have spent up to five minutes stationary whilst I wait for people to notice I am trying to get past. I cannot step into the road and back to the pavement the way someone on foot can.
All that said some scooter users are selfish bastards but this is probably because they hate being confined to the damned things...... I know I do.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »
To continue ~ The larger "road worthy" scooters can travel up to 8mph .... these must be equipped with lights (fore and aft), a warning horn, indicators and have to be insured for use on the road. They may not be driven at more than 4mph on the pavement and usually have a switch to govern their speed when "off road".

Getting back to the "cloak of invisibility" I have been accused of driving into people when in fact they have tripped over me from the side. Now it is possible for me to drive the thing forward and back but not sideways so when some idiot topples into my lap I think it fair to say "Look where you're going". Without fail "I didn't see you" is their excuse. I am not easily missed, I am a large bloke, sitting on a blue mobility scooter that is 3 feet high and 3.6" long but because I am not at eye level it seems I don't exist!

BTW Kiddies love the little beep-beep noise and often ask if they can "Have a go" .... their mothers drag them away as tho' I am some kind of infectious monster.  noooo:

And on the subject of disability why oh why do the doors granting disabled access by means of a push button always open outwards into my face, knocking me back down the fvcking ramp? Council Offices are the worst offenders!

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:07:01 AM »
I have no problem moving out of the way, if and when possible, and do so as a matter of course. However when the user of the scooter is tooting away at you to simply get out of the way because they cannot be expected to have to wait or they should be given priority over all users of the pavement that gets my goat.

Admittedly this wumman yesterday was an horrendous example and normally this would not be an issue but I wanted to stuff her fluffy dice up her ****.

She managed to park ok and waddle into the bakers  lol:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »
I am good to walk (not waddle) up to about 50 yards. Part of the problem is that the scooters are silent and people just don't notice them as the rider is below eye level.

Personally I feel that there ought to be some sort of driving test for them. As a car driver who has held a licence since I was 17 I tend to be aware of the problems but some of the disabled community have never taken a driving lesson let alone a test.

Planners could do more to help by making pavements wider .... personally I stick to the cycle lanes whenever possible and get abuse from the lycra clad fools who want to belt along as though they are in the Tour de France ..... and don't get me started on supermarket managers who place "gondolas" full of crap in middle of their aisles  Banghead

What you encountered was not a typical mobility rider but a selfish owld git .... please don't tar us all with the same brush ..... you'd be welcome to ride on mine any time. whistle:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
 scared:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »
 lol: lol: lol: tit!

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
I'll be your Toto  lol:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
I'll be your Toto  lol:

And sit in me little wire basket?  lol: lol:

Ackchooly Miss D you asked about roolz ...... I have given you what roolz there are but basically it is a matter of common sense and good manners ..... both of which are sadly lacking in the majority of people both able and disabled.

See also mothers pushing double buggies...... especially those who fill their pushchairs with shopping and have the kids toddling alongside of them.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
Oooh another pet hate  evil:

Kids that are so friggin big ...about 3 or 4 that are in buggies with the feet scraping along the floor because they should be feckin up and walking . Not sitting there as big lumps being pushed around with their squidgy fingers stuck in a packet of wotsits or some such other and pulling and tugging at everyone as they pass. Tip em out  evil:
Skubber

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »

Kids that are so friggin big ...about 3 or 4 that are in buggies with the feet scraping along the floor because they should be feckin up and walking . Not sitting there as big lumps being pushed around with their squidgy fingers stuck in a packet of wotsits or some such other and pulling and tugging at everyone as they pass. Tip em out  evil:

Wot she said ^^^

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »

rubschin: Sooooooo ..... in your ideal world the streets would be emptied of people before you set forth on your luncheon sandwich foray? A Miss D Only lane would whisk you from home to work and back again, shopkeepers would clear their premises of customers to allow you unhindered access to the chocolates, cakes and vodka ...... would  cheering crowds, waving banners from behind barriers as you progress on your stately way be acceptable?

Well I suppose Prince Harry is still available but he is GINGER!  ;)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
I’ll have you know I am a considerate pavement dweller and probably spend an awful lot more time on it than many here using only public transport and my feet !!!!
( not rolling around on it after a vodka fuelled night I hasten to add)

I am NOT unreasonable. I will move out of the way willingly but do not be up my arse  hooting and hollering and beeping expecting me to move aside ( when this is not possible) simply because you are in a Barbie carriage and believe you have right of freakin way.

Also do not haul you lardy lump of a child around when it should be using those two appendages attached to it’s hip and then wondering why it comes last in school sport’s day or whinges within 2 seconds of being asked to do somefink for itself !!!
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

whistle: