Author Topic: Foreign Drivers  (Read 865 times)

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
Foreign Drivers
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
Feckin foreign drivers!!!!  Driving home from Heathrow Airport on Tuesday a German truck driver decided to pull out and pile into the side of my car forcing me across 3 lanes of motorway traffic. After I came to an eventual halt in the outside lane and managed to get to the hard shoulder- me and Mrs B, not the car- The lorry driver who had fortunately stopped, apologised and said he never saw me. In his hand he had all the documents he said I would need for my insurance company. It had obviously happened to him before yet his company had never invested in the type of wing mirror that would probably have prevented the accident.
The sooner these mirrors are made law for the left hand drive trucks the better, its only good luck I am here now and it could have been so easily avoided. The beaurocats in Europe are quick enough to pass the crazy laws. thatsit: angry037
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Foreign Drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
My sympathies. I give foreign vehicles a wide for that reason
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
My sympathies. I give foreign vehicles a wide for that reason

whacky115
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
Feckin foreign drivers!!!!  Driving home from Heathrow Airport on Tuesday a German truck driver decided to pull out and pile into the side of my car forcing me across 3 lanes of motorway traffic. After I came to an eventual halt in the outside lane and managed to get to the hard shoulder- me and Mrs B, not the car- The lorry driver who had fortunately stopped, apologised and said he never saw me. In his hand he had all the documents he said I would need for my insurance company. It had obviously happened to him before yet his company had never invested in the type of wing mirror that would probably have prevented the accident.
The sooner these mirrors are made law for the left hand drive trucks the better, its only good luck I am here now and it could have been so easily avoided. The beaurocats in Europe are quick enough to pass the crazy laws. thatsit: angry037

This happened to LL on the M25...

The Polish driver admitted that he hadn't seen her and that it was his fault... the police admitted that it happened all the time as they didn't have the right mirrors to see overtaking cars before pulling out (they still wanted to breathalyse LL tho - their main concern - wankers)... We thought it would all be covered by insurance as he had admitted that it was his fault to the plod...

Not a chance - his insurance denied responsibility and we ended up picking up the repair bill...  cussing:

You only have to watch an episode of one of those Police stop action camera death programmes to realise how completely fucking useless the motorway plod are....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
We never saw the police, we ended up with the muppets from highways. They made sure we were ok?! dragged our car onto the hard shoulder and pissed off....leaving us standing beside the motorway for nearly an hour before recovery came. To our astonishment he said he never had authorisation from our insurance company to take us home only to get us off the motorway and leave us somewhere safe which happened to be an Esso garage in Leatherhead at 10 o'clock at night. WE then had to try and find a taxi to take us home which cost us £80. Best thing was, I paid extra on my policy to be taken home-or put up in a hotel. I am still waiting for the head honcho from their ''customer care'' department to phone me with why, wherefor and what they are going to do?   Car written off . cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: Did I mention it was Direct Line? Wankah: Wankah: Wankah:
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
We never saw the police, we ended up with the muppets from highways. They made sure we were ok?! dragged our car onto the hard shoulder and pissed off....leaving us standing beside the motorway for nearly an hour before recovery came. To our astonishment he said he never had authorisation from our insurance company to take us home only to get us off the motorway and leave us somewhere safe which happened to be an Esso garage in Leatherhead at 10 o'clock at night. WE then had to try and find a taxi to take us home which cost us £80. Best thing was, I paid extra on my policy to be taken home-or put up in a hotel. I am still waiting for the head honcho from their ''customer care'' department to phone me with why, wherefor and what they are going to do?   Car written off . cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: Did I mention it was Direct Line? Wankah: Wankah: Wankah:

happy100 happy100 For you and Mrs B. Stressful and frightening at the time.  Sooo frustrating and irritating after the event.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
Glad you both escaped unscathed fellah.  :thumbsup:
Must have been pretty damned scary for you both, especially on such a busy motorway that the M25 is too.

The sooner these foreign drivers are only allowed into the country by customs AFTER they are satisfied that the correct mirrors are fitted, the better.
Shouldn't be that bloody hard to enforce surely? rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
Glad you both escaped unscathed fellah.  :thumbsup:
Must have been pretty damned scary for you both, especially on such a busy motorway that the M25 is too.

The sooner these foreign drivers are only allowed into the country by customs AFTER they are satisfied that the correct mirrors are fitted, the better.
Shouldn't be that bloody hard to enforce surely? rubschin:

You can bet your life that British trucks aren't allowed off the ferry without them!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline beerhead

• Wet behind the ears
  • Not quite a regular
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Quite right, BM.
An old pal of mine runs a trucking company with150+ rigs all over Europe. There are constant spot checks. Never happens in the UK.
Not quite a regular ! Regular as clockwork me !

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »
WHY WHY WHY?  Banghead Banghead Banghead Angry9:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
Bloody terrifying watching their antics on the unrestricted  two lanes (sometimes) autobahns in Geeeermany too. They just pull out and take 5 minutes to overtake another truck going 0.001 kph less than them. Saw a couple of extremelly fast moving beemers and mercs having to slam on for these idiots. eeek:

Offline beerhead

• Wet behind the ears
  • Not quite a regular
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
Nick. Honest question. Why What ?
Not quite a regular ! Regular as clockwork me !

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
Unequal EU regs. They get away with it and we don't. Banghead Banghead Banghead

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...