Author Topic: Foreign Drivers  (Read 859 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Foreign Drivers
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »
Unequal EU regs. They get away with it and we don't. Banghead Banghead Banghead

Because in the UK we have a lot of "Jobsworths" employed to enforce these regulations but in the EU on the whole they don't.
Also in the UK there seems to be a tendency to interpret EU rules and regulations in a different way to that of the "Continentals".

EG In wholesale butchery and abattoirs we have vets constantly checking work practices .... Lil Bruvver reports that many of these vets are Portuguese whose command of the English language seems to be limited to "No!" ... apparently they cannot get work in Portugal so they are over here enforcing EU regs and that's why so much of our food is more expensive than in their home country.

You wouldn't find a more bureaucratic country than France but as far as food hygiene is concerned ~ they just ignore it.

At one point, a few years ago, Italy was revealed to have only 3 Food Safety Officers in the whole country .... we have that many in each town hall.

It is, I suspect, that we are a far more litigious people than our EU partners.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
Then why are we not fining or impounding the vehicles that don't have the right mirrors?
I mostly despair

Offline beerhead

• Wet behind the ears
  • Not quite a regular
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Same regs, but I know that in Italy there is a lot of "local interpretation" !
Not quite a regular ! Regular as clockwork me !

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
Then why are we not fining or impounding the vehicles that don't have the right mirrors?

Because it is a difficult and time consuming process to chase down the fines. We cannot hold the drivers who simply vanish back to Poland or wherever whilst their employers (vehicle owners) happily sue for the return of their property + compensation in the sure and certain knowledge that our courts will uphold their Human Rights.

By litigious I meant as individuals we run to court every time we feel aggrieved whereas the Continentals shrug their shoulders and get on with life.

Drive without the correct headlamp deflectors, mirrors, reflective waistcoats, fire extinguishers etc in France and the fine is instant. Human Rights ~ they haven't heard of them. We don't give that power to our police..... But then drivers are more likely to pay up when the police officer is carrying a gun and they know that the second cop is sat in the car fingering his safety catch.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Same note, different tune, why are we still letting these foreign truck drivers come over here with full tanks of cheaper diesel with no futher costs to pay unless they go through the Dartford Tunnel/Bridge, M6 Toll road or inner London congestion charge?
These lucky bastards get away with virtually no contribution whilst US British sheeples pick up the tab...as usual. cussing:

The Swiss have the best plan imo. You enter the country and choose which lane to go through. The lane for those that haven't got the annual motorway user annual pass sticker on display in the windscreen and purchase it there and then for about £30, or the other lane for those that have it already.
If you try getting away with it and going through the green lane, and are pulled, you face an instant fine of about £100 plus the cost of the pass.
This method is fantastic imo. EVERYONE makes a smallish contribution regardless of how long they stay or how regulary they visit within the 12 months, without exception iirc. :thumbsup:
This also frees up motorways from all those confuslicating and time wasting/que forming toll booths. Banghead