Author Topic: Changing power suppliers and solar panels.  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Changing power suppliers and solar panels.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
Maybe I'm over simplifying things here but isn't there supposed to be enough shale gas under north and north west England to keep us going for decades? Surely if that was tapped then the lower costs could then be passed on.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
The tree huggers are against it  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
Maybe I'm over simplifying things here but isn't there supposed to be enough shale gas under north and north west England to keep us going for decades? Surely if that was tapped then the lower costs could then be passed on.

Hoone doesn't want to tho does he...?  noooo:

And as far as the lower costs being passed on >>>>> happy002

Remember how lektrik would be soooo cheap when nuclear came on line it wouldn't be worth charging us for it....  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »

That's bloody stupid, the environmental impact of a gas leak is a hell of a lot less than that of a ruptured oil pipe plus gas burns more cleanly.

If it's down to an argument that it isn't a renewable source of power then they shot themselves in the foot by championing wind turbines instead of tidal power. Personally I think either they have no idea what they are talking about and are just choosing the option that makes it look like they are doing something or there is some kind of shady back hander deal going on.

Remember how lektrik would be soooo cheap when nuclear came on line it wouldn't be worth charging us for it....  ::)

Nuclear power coming on line here was a bit before my time BM, I'm pretty sure Windscale was anyway.  rubschin: rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

That's bloody stupid, the environmental impact of a gas leak is a hell of a lot less than that of a ruptured oil pipe plus gas burns more cleanly.

If it's down to an argument that it isn't a renewable source of power then they shot themselves in the foot by championing wind turbines instead of tidal power. Personally I think either they have no idea what they are talking about and are just choosing the option that makes it look like they are doing something or there is some kind of shady back hander deal going on.

Nuclear power coming on line here was a bit before my time BM, I'm pretty sure Windscale was anyway.  rubschin: rubschin:

Suffice to say energy won't get any cheaper....  noooo:

... in the same way that North Sea Oil didn't reduce petrol prices...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
Oh and they do say that there is at least 200 years worth of coal still under Wales.

Two birds with one stone .... a real win-win situation  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »
My mate does solar panels, however, these are purely for heating the water - not PV panels. A "mates rates" installation is about £3,500 and most customers estimate it reduces their electricity bill by about £500 per annum, so the payback time isn't too bad. In most instances, the solar panels heat all the water from about March-Novemberand; even in the winter the solar panels still heat the water by 20 degrees or so, so less mains electricity is needed to fully heat it and your bolier is doing less work, so should last longer.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
My mate does solar panels, however, these are purely for heating the water - not PV panels. A "mates rates" installation is about £3,500 and most customers estimate it reduces their electricity bill by about £500 per annum, so the payback time isn't too bad. In most instances, the solar panels heat all the water from about March-Novemberand; even in the winter the solar panels still heat the water by 20 degrees or so, so less mains electricity is needed to fully heat it and your bolier is doing less work, so should last longer.

We all have those here for heating water...

It is only for a couple of months a year that we need to heat it with gas or lektrik...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 05:29:39 AM »
Oh and they do say that there is at least 200 years worth of coal still under Wales.

In the same way that previously uneconomic oil fields are now viable, there must be vast amounts of coal under the whole of the UK that could now compete with the cost of importing gas...

Of course, it isn't 'green' coal...  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 05:31:30 AM »

It is only for a couple of months a year that we need to heat it with gas or lektrik...

Had to use the emersion yesterday morning(afternoon  redface: )..........

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »

Had to use the emersion yesterday morning(afternoon  redface: )..........

Spect your panels are all covered in shite....  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:50 AM »

In the same way that previously uneconomic oil fields are now viable, there must be vast amounts of coal under the whole of the UK that could now compete with the cost of importing gas...

We could export it to China
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 05:33:41 AM »

We could export it to China

Indeed!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: