Author Topic: FFS !!  (Read 935 times)

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
FFS !!
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »
Members of a union representing up to 1.3 million workers have voted in favour of joining strike action on November 30.

Unison , which represents staff ranging from social workers to school dinner ladies, balloted its members on whether to stage a walk out in a dispute over pension reform.

The union said 245,358 voted in favour, with 70,253 voting against.

This suggests less than a quarter of the potential number of voters back industrial action.

Unison had mounted a campaign calling on its supporters to vote in favour of a strike.

The other public sector unions will announce over the next few weeks if their members will take part in industrial action that day. The NASUWT teaching union will poll its members from Friday.

It comes despite talks between ministers and union chiefs on Wednesday that aimed to avert the day of action, which could cause significant disruption across the country.

The Government tabled a revised offer, compromising on some but not all of the issues considered contentious by the unions.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber, who took part in the negotiations, said while he "welcomed" the new terms, plans for industrial action "remain unchanged".

"We are determined to secure a fair deal, pensions justice, for the workers we represent," he said.

He said they want to negotiate "but as things stand, unions are absolutely firmly committed to our plans for November 30.

"That will be a day on which millions of people will show their anger that they feel they're not being treated with fairness and justice in terms of these very damaging changes the Government intends to make to people's pensions," he added.

The GMB union said it too "welcomed" the latest offer from the Government but warned it may be "too little too late".

Sticking points for the unions remain the Government's position on increasing contributions, raising the pension age and linking pensions to the typically-lower CPI index of inflation rather than RPI.

Ministers including Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander appealed directly to workers and urged them to accept the deal on the table.

He said the compromises would only stand if the unions accepted. If they go ahead with a walk-out on November 30, the Government could withdraw its offer, he suggested.

Mr Alexander said he understood families were facing financial pressures during tough economic times.

But reform was essential because the cost of funding pensions had risen dramatically to £32bn a year, he said.

"The bottom line is that we are all living longer."

The updated offer to union chiefs would see an increase to the cost ceiling, so future schemes would be based on a pension to the value of 1/60th of average salary accruing for each year worked.

This is 8% higher than under the previous offer.

A teacher retiring on a salary of £37,000 would receive a pension of £25,000 - compared to £19,100 under the current final salary scheme, he told the Commons.

A nurse retiring on £34,200 would receive £22,800 compared to £17,300, he added
 cussing: Banghead cussing: Banghead cussing: Banghead   Is the country not in enough shit????
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: FFS !!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:07 AM »
Let the strike and see if anybody notices!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
wot he said :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:07 AM »
It is amazing how: -

"The bottom line is that we are all living longer."

Yet we are all gonna die younger than our parents from smoking, burgers, salt and booze...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:46 AM »
I am with BM on this.  Let them strike.  As Bodiam says this country is 'in the shit'  a day of striking will not resolve the problems and they will not be paid for that day.  maybe we should all strike and get ourselves out of the shit in that way. rubschin:

IMO serious and long term changes need to be made.  This people of this country have been fed pap and crap for so long most are in a state of complete apathy. The MP s expenses scandal got us all furious, for a while then the apathy returned, the bankers actions got us all furious for a little while and then the apathy returned.  By the lack of our own action we have condoned what went on and is continuing to go on. Bah pass the coffee and let me go back to bed.... surrender:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »
I am with BM on this.  Let them strike.  As Bodiam says this country is 'in the shit'  a day of striking will not resolve the problems and they will not be paid for that day.  maybe we should all strike and get ourselves out of the shit in that way. rubschin:

IMO serious and long term changes need to be made.  This people of this country have been fed pap and crap for so long most are in a state of complete apathy. The MP s expenses scandal got us all furious, for a while then the apathy returned, the bankers actions got us all furious for a little while and then the apathy returned.  By the lack of our own action we have condoned what went on and is continuing to go on. Bah pass the coffee and let me go back to bed.... surrender:

worthy:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »
ok I give in but in the words of that well known American pop ensemble The Beastie Boys......http://youtu.be/9oM3VMhbxN8...................................                            .Lets Rock!! :thumbsup:

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »
I say that's a tad loud for this time of the morning chap. razz:

Don't give in or up.  I am not quite sure just what would make the great British public rise from their apathy and revolt, although there are some that already revolt me, but I wish it would happen and happen soon.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:00:22 AM by Miss Creant »
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »
I am not quite sure just what would make the great British public rise from their apathy and revolt, although there are some that already revolt me, but I wish it would happen and happen soon.

We haven't had a proper war for more than a generation. A common threat and enemy always gets us to work together.

It also tends to reduce the number of breeding males from the proletariat.

Lets all wind up that Angular Merkin woman and see if we can provoke her to annexe somewhere because of the Euro, then we can step in and sort it out as heroes.
I mostly despair

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
Excellent idea Darwin, cannon fodder is what we need. Trouble is I am serious as I think many on here would be.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Trouble is I am serious as I think many on here would be.

Perish the thought.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
Years ago when I was a student nurse the Unison rep came around to sell the benefits of  membership to my cohort. It was supposed to be a half hour long presentation but after 10 minutes of the "we protect your right to strike" rhetoric I started packing up to leave much to the anger of the rep. When she asked me where I was going I told her that I believed the right of the patient to have decent care was more important than a bunch of kamikaze militants pushing their right to strike so I was signing up with the RCN instead.

You can imagine the dozy tart's reaction.  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »
well done to you :thumbsup:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »
I'm not against the right to strike when it's genuinely needed but Unison have a strike first ask questions later mentality.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »
I'm not against the right to strike when it's genuinely needed but Unison have a strike first ask questions later mentality.

[serious] As a member of UNISON in its many guises since 1975, I'd be interested in examples of that [serious]  rubschin:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie