Disgusterous

Author Topic: Prizes  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Prizes
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »
I won a prize for being "Top of the class" when I was ten.......... It was a book I already owned.  Banghead

I used to hate prize giving day....  noooo:

I sat there, cross-legged in me little shorts on the hall floor hoping beyond hope that they were going to surprise me with a book...  surrender:

Of course, all the real prize winners chose theirs the week before....  sad24:

We weren't given a choice .... Books to be awarded were chosen by the English Master and they were always books that were deemed "worthy" (No shaggin' or stuff of interest to boys of that age). As I recall mine was an adventure in darkest Africa tale of the type frequently filmed starring square jawed heroes like Stewart Granger

.... you know the sort of thing, wherein all the blacks were referred to as "Natives" and called the only white man "Bwana" and the bad guy was always a German.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
I won a Roxy Music record in a disco dancing competition in 1973  redface:

Now THAT I'd have luved to have witnessed.  happy001

The YOU  dancing bit, not the record

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
I won 100 chart LP's off Piccadilly Radio one Christmas around 1979 - 81

WOW!! eeek:

Top bloody prize that man! :thumbsup:

You still got 'em?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
Further to the German  in the "Africa/India" fillums .... usually played by Herbert Lom ..... who was actually Czechoslovakian  ::)

Saw him recently in one of those day time movies on TV .... played opposite Kenneth Moore (who was the square jawed hero). They had "blacked" Lom up a bit to make him into a Muslim spy. Summat about Kenneth Moore rescuing some Hindu Prince (a young boy actor) from the Muslim Hoards by driving a steam train across the sub-continent.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:48 AM »
I know it was a raffle, but this time last year when I went up to the rally, I won whopper of a home made Crumblee CAKE at the annual hunt charity evening in the ale 'ouse in Satterthwaite. cloud9:

That nasty CAKE nicking Nick thing didn't even gera sniff of it. Finger:  sparkle:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
I won a prize for being "Top of the class" when I was ten.......... It was a book I already owned.  Banghead

I sat there, cross-legged in me little shorts on the hall floor hoping beyond hope that they were going to surprise me with a book...  surrender:

Was that the meeting you went to this week........ whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »

Was that the meeting you went to this week........ whistle:

It was a 'vote for me as muhktar' bash...  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
In 1999 I won a full racing Mini 7 (about 15k's worth) together with entry to the final round of the Mini 7 championship in October of that year. Oh - they also paid for me to get a racing licence so I could enter and all my kit. Apart from the crash helmet - I already had one.

I qualified 34th out of 34. Come the race, I finished 18th.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »

Indeed we did.  angel1

My ex won a family holiday to Disneyland, Florida. This was before the sprogs. I had to renegotiate the prize so the inlaws could come.  eeek:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »

Indeed we did.  angel1

My ex won a family holiday to Disneyland, Florida. This was before the sprogs. I had to renegotiate the prize so the inlaws could come.  eeek:

Teacher's pet!  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
In 1999 I won a full racing Mini 7 (about 15k's worth) together with entry to the final round of the Mini 7 championship in October of that year. Oh - they also paid for me to get a racing licence so I could enter and all my kit. Apart from the crash helmet - I already had one.

I qualified 34th out of 34. Come the race, I finished 18th.

Awesome, and bestest one so far I'd say! :thumbsup:

You still got the car then? Be werth an absolute fortune now. Even bogo ones are fetching silly money, which is why BM is such a wise old owl, even though you lot (apart from me of course  sparkle: ) take the piss out of him relentlessly. evil:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Alas no, Bear. My car was number "40" and was built at Silverstone during the celebrations for the Mini's 40th birthday. My raffle ticket was picked by Vicki Butler-Henderson, but I was sunning my arse in Kos at the time. I only found out about it when my brother phoned me on an ex-exes mobile phone when he was given the news by my ex. Confused? You should be. I couldn't afford to race it (£1000 per meeting) so I sold it for a paltry £7500 and the bloke who bought it wrote if off in his first race.

I still have the Mini magazine that has a 4 page spread about it all - I'll scan it all and send it.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »
Alas no, Bear. My car was number "40" and was built at Silverstone during the celebrations for the Mini's 40th birthday. My raffle ticket was picked by Vicki Butler-Henderson, but I was sunning my arse in Kos at the time. I only found out about it when my brother phoned me on an ex-exes mobile phone when he was given the news by my ex. Confused? You should be. I couldn't afford to race it (£1000 per meeting) so I sold it for a paltry £7500 and the bloke who bought it wrote if off in his first race.

I still have the Mini magazine that has a 4 page spread about it all - I'll scan it all and send it.

You were soooo close to that Silver Coconut....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »

That would be great. :thumbsup:

BM. He IS a strong contender for the SILVER COCONUT, 'cus you see, he's a petrol 'ed too, he's not rude and orrid to me, in fact he's ALWAYS been polite on the rare occasions he converses with me.
He's also a raging nutter, and I lurve raging nutters. cloud9: