Author Topic: The BIG Strike (or how to fiddle the figures)  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
The BIG Strike (or how to fiddle the figures)
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
Soooooooo! The medja are supporting the TUC claims that 2 million people will be on strike today. They also tell us that this is the BIGGEST strike since ..... well ...... the last biggest strike. Comparisons to the "General Strike" are rife.

Let's just look at this shall we?
The General Strike was a short lived and, as it turned out, generally meaningless little interlude that didn't actually change very much.

But today's BIGGEST ever etc .... well that needs some attention too. Woodstock works at a local college but she cannot attend today because the college is locked as the caretaker is on strike. Since he is also the caretaker of the school next door that too is locked. All staff, unable to get into their place of work, are therefore deemed to be "On Strike". One person has actually withdrawn his labour for the day but 150 people are said to be on strike. Banghead

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: The BIG Strike (or how to fiddle the figures)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:08:28 AM »
I am in work ....but at least three quarters of  the team are not
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
At least you could get in ..... many, as I demonstrate above, cannot ........ even when they want to.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Well worn cliche, but they should all be glad and happy that they've at least got a job (for now)

It's shit for everyone now apart from those bastard millionaires that are dictating to us and that got us into this mess in the first place, so share the bloody pain like the rest of us poor sods and those less fortunate I say.
I DO NOT support their actions today, the only upside so far being that the bone idle binmen didn't wake me up with their loud chitter chatter, crashing and banging as much as they possibly can as is the norm. at 07:00 on a Wednesday morning. cussing:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
I refuse to join in with anyone. 
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
My point being that even if you have no wish to join in you can be prevented from working and will therefore be included in the numbers claimed to be "On Strike".

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
Interesting that reports are coming in that major shopping centres are saying they are unexpectedly busy today.
Seems like the "strikers" are taking the chance for a day's Christmas Shopping.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
I refuse to join in with anyone.

Me too.

No change there then. whistle:

Just been listening to some of these 'public servants' that are on up to 40k p.a., eeek:  whinging and whining about having their rights eroded that WE private sector idiots are helping to fund for them.....on the JV show. eeek:
GREEDY BASTARDS. MORE MORE MORE, ME ME ME ALL THE FUCKIN' TIME! Banghead Angry9:

Anyone got a spare radio I could borrow for now as this one of mine is now  rubschin: ....faulty, as is my right hand steel toe capped boot. Explode:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:12:36 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »
Who are these uninformed harridans screeching about rights and "Government ministers who won't engage in sensible dialogue" etc.
They don't know what the government have said in negotiation ~ They only know what their union leaders are willing to tell them and then they go out and spout absolute shite at any convenient camera.

Remove the Fecking Media and they'd all go back to work.

So far we have had teachers on the news complaining about having to work longer and get less in their pensions.... No they fecking won't ~ Just look at them .....  they'll all be well retired by the time any of these so called cuts take effect.  cussing:

And why are they all fat and spouting their nonsense in regional accents so thick they are almost unintelligible?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
I have refrained from watching any news. Saves me getting  cussing: or  Banghead. Almost had an argument with my brother who works at a school and is on strike today. We agreed to differ.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »
Well, I travelled through London to the Telegraph on public transport without a hitch. At home, this is my usual day to have my recycle bins collected and my local council duly collected them. Or rather, the company (employing the usual complement of East European university graduates) which is contracted to perform that function by my local council, collected them. Three of my four grandchildren are attending school as normal. At the airports where twelve hour delays were being darkly predicted, passengers are waltzing through border control more easily than is normally the case. (One bemused traveller apparently said, "Maybe they could go on strike more often.")

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100120819/strikes-aint-what-they-used-to-be/

whistle:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
Well, I travelled through London to the Telegraph on public transport without a hitch. At home, this is my usual day to have my recycle bins collected and my local council duly collected them. Or rather, the company (employing the usual complement of East European university graduates) which is contracted to perform that function by my local council, collected them. Three of my four grandchildren are attending school as normal. At the airports where twelve hour delays were being darkly predicted, passengers are waltzing through border control more easily than is normally the case. (One bemused traveller apparently said, "Maybe they could go on strike more often.")

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100120819/strikes-aint-what-they-used-to-be/

whistle:

And if you want to know why this action is so feeble, it is only necessary to look at what is being said on its behalf. At Birmingham Women's Hospital, theatre nurse and Unison president, Eleanor Smith has offered a classic self-defeating defence of her strike action. "I came into the public sector not for great wages…" she said. Now what would you expect to follow that opening: "…but to serve the community", or "…to provide care that is free at the point of use"?

No, what Ms Smith said was that she did not enter the public sector for great wages "…but for a pension." And she went on, "Now this pension is going to be taken away – not totally, but considerably reduced. I get the impression the Government doesn't like the public sector." So her pension is not going to be taken away – just reduced. But still not reduced nearly so much as those of the unfortunates who work in the private sector. And this reduction is being forced on her, she believes. simply because the Government has, for some irrational reason, a personal dislike of people who work in the public services. Nothing to do with national debt, or the need to curb government spending – just inexplicable prejudice against public sector employees. If this is what constitutes justification for the union action, it is scarcely surprising that it is falling flat.

Excellent!  eveilgrin:

Ugly mind....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »
Good old Jezza!

"The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot".

The Top Gear presenter was speaking on the BBC's The One Show on the day of widespread public sector strikes.

He said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 06:25:21 AM »
Good old Jezza!

"The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot".

The Top Gear presenter was speaking on the BBC's The One Show on the day of widespread public sector strikes.

He said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

Excellent!  Sinister:

http://youtu.be/NuuDnqSPnhA
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:44:39 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 07:06:14 AM »
ANd since when has the BBC been a private sector organisation?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile