Author Topic: The all new THW comes to visit and other arguments thread  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
The all new THW comes to visit and other arguments thread
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
 Popcorn:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: The all new THW comes to visit and other arguments thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »
Oh we've already had the first one.

Should we collect her or should she come on the train.  ::)

Remember that she does not have to vacate her flat and that she is "in halls" with attendant security on duty throughout the vacation so what she is leaving there will be perfectly safe and is, in any event, insured.

She and Woodstock advocated car because she has Christmas Presents to bring with her.
Yeah right  ::) A CD for her mother, Nintendo DS game each for the boys and a book for me .... would all fit in one pocket of her coat  Banghead

I pointed out that it is 220 miles to the college and thus 220 miles back. Repeat maths for return journey on 8/9th Jan
Total driving time will be something close to 18 hours and total miles covered will be 900 give or take the odd detour.
Car does an average of 30 miles to the gallon thus 30 gallons of diesel will be consumed or put it another way 137 litres @ 1.39 pence per litre the cost will be £190,43. The return train fare, if pre-booked a week in advance using her student rail card, would be £79. Journey time by train is a shade over 5 hours and her flat is 10 minutes walk from the station.

So how did this resolve? ...... That's right. Woodstock has called me a miserly bastard and other names because I refuse to drive down to Surrey and back ..... TWICE and has gone herself.  Banghead

Economically it makes no sense either financially or in terms of time wasted. noooo:

I did offer to pay the train fares but I cannot see the point in leaving here at stupid o'clock and not getting back until 10ish tonight, absolutely knackered and a £120 worse off when the damned child could have got her arse down to the station by 10.30 this morning and been here 7 hours sooner.

I'm sure somebody here will see my point.  evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »

Remember that she does not have to vacate her flat and that she is "in halls" with attendant security on duty throughout the vacation so what she is leaving there will be perfectly safe and is, in any event, insured.

She and Woodstock advocated car because she has Christmas Presents to bring with her.
Yeah right  ::) A CD for her mother, Nintendo DS game each for the boys and a book for me .... would all fit in one pocket of her coat  Banghead

I pointed out that it is 220 miles to the college and thus 220 miles back. Repeat maths for return journey on 8/9th Jan
Total driving time will be something close to 18 hours and total miles covered will be 900 give or take the odd detour.
Car does an average of 30 miles to the gallon thus 30 gallons of diesel will be consumed or put it another way 137 litres @ 1.39 pence per litre the cost will be £190,43. The return train fare, if pre-booked a week in advance using her student rail card, would be £79. Journey time by train is a shade over 5 hours and her flat is 10 minutes walk from the station.

So how did this resolve? ...... That's right. Woodstock has called me a miserly bastard and other names because I refuse to drive down to Surrey and back ..... TWICE and has gone herself.  Banghead

Economically it makes no sense either financially or in terms of time wasted. noooo:

I did offer to pay the train fares but I cannot see the point in leaving here at stupid o'clock and not getting back until 10ish tonight, absolutely knackered and a £120 worse off when the damned child could have got her arse down to the station by 10.30 this morning and been here 7 hours sooner.

I'm sure somebody here will see my point.  evil:

Bravo hound - utter madness it is!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »
 Popcorn:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »
I bet she gets the train back!  lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
I bet she gets the train back!  lol: lol: lol:

Oh noes .... she wants to take back "Loads of stuff" from her bedroom.

TBH there is very little that she didn't take when she went in September.

I have given Woodstock the train fare (£79) and told her she and the THW can pay for any fuel they use over and above that.  razz:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »

Yea! All off to a flyng start on the happy holiday front ey? :thumbsup:
Happy bastard crimbo mate!! lol:

You're right btw. ;)

Fortunately I shall be going into hospital on the 29th so I will be spared at least some of it.

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
 Popcorn:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
Yesterday was a case of two monologues competing for space.

The boys and I kept well clear.

Today Woodstock is werking, boys are at skool, THW is still in bed. All is quiet in my werld.  cloud9:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
"yeah, but it's too quiet"  whistle:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
"yeah, but it's too quiet"  whistle:

She emerged looking for food at about 12.30.
We had a row by 12.45
She returned to her room at 12.50 ~ I like to think a wiser child.

Well if nothing else she heard a few truths about herself expressed in "Barrack Room" language.  evil:

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
 Popcorn:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
Has Snoopy barricaded himself in ?  scared2:
Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
Nope but I am pretending she is not here.

Apparently she told her mother yesterday that she thinks "Dad doesn't seem to want me at home, he stops speaking whenever I come into a room and goes off to his study"

Woodstock replied (so she says) "have you tried not contradicting everything he says and perhaps showing a little respect for his opinions....You might find he'll talk to you more if every time he opens his mouth you don't start an argument"

THW "Why?"

And that last question, dear readers, is the whole thing summed up in a nutshell.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
Nope but I am pretending she is not here.

Apparently she told her mother yesterday that she thinks "Dad doesn't seem to want me at home, he stops speaking whenever I come into a room and goes off to his study"

Woodstock replied (so she says) "have you tried not contradicting everything he says and perhaps showing a little respect for his opinions....You might find he'll talk to you more if every time he opens his mouth you don't start an argument"

THW "Why?"

And that last question, dear readers, is the whole thing summed up in a nutshell.

Thank heavens for studies/basements....  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: