Author Topic: Another School Rant  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Another School Rant
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
Minor has a cold. His nose and top lip are very sore and he feels generally unwell BUT like a good little soldier he trotted into school yesterday.

It seems that in this part of Wales (I can speak for no other) the "Welshies" consider it bad manners to blow your nose in public ..... no alternative is suggested so I suppose they either sniff a lot or "cuff it".  sick2:

In every class yesterday he was reprimanded for pulling out a handkerchief and blowing his nose. Each teacher told him he should raise his hand, ask to be excused and leave the room before blowing his nose. Since he was, and still is, in a permanent snot running situation this struck him as unreasonable so he tried dabbing at his nose instead of blowing it. This too was not liked. Many pupils objected (using the teacher to bully him) and again the teachers tossed him out of the room.

He was also subjected to a tirade from one teacher, later taken up by several of the class, that using a handkerchief was "Being Posh" and he should use tissues. Not unreasonably he asked if he would then be allowed to blow his nose in class and where was he supposed to dispose of the used tissues. Again "Get Out!" and a bony finger indicated the door.
He spent more time in the corridor than he spent in class so today I have kept him off school. I have telephoned the attendance officer at the school to explain his absence as required. She tells me that she personally considers handkerchiefs to be "unhygienic" and tissues are better. In answer to my question as to whether the staff would prefer a boy to have a couple of hankies in his pocket or to be filling the class room waste paper basket with snot filled tissues drew no reply.

The sooner we sell this house and move back to civilisation the fucking better!  cussing:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Another School Rant
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
Unbe-bleddy-believable....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
I must admit that when the THW used to come home complaining of this we put it down to her "telling a tall story" to try to get out of school, which we knew she disliked, but he is so keen to be there that we have to believe him. The THW, being a girlie, always used tissues and she too was thrown out of the room for using one but surely chaps carry a handkerchief. I never get dressed in the mornings without putting a clean hankie in my pocket. Kleenex is used for other purposes in my book.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
I must admit that when the THW used to come home complaining of this we put it down to her "telling a tall story" to try to get out of school, which we knew she disliked, but he is so keen to be there that we have to believe him. The THW, being a girlie, always used tissues and she too was thrown out of the room for using one but surely chaps carry a handkerchief. I never get dressed in the mornings without putting a clean hankie in my pocket. Kleenex is used for other purposes in my book.  whistle:

My Mum always ensured I had a clean hankie in my pocked when I went to school...  :thumbsup:

I remember many of the kids didn't have them though and the sleeve was their preferred method of snot removal....  sick2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »

My Mum always ensured I had a clean hankie in my pocked when I went to school...  :thumbsup:

I remember many of the kids didn't have them though and the sleeve was their preferred method of snot removal....  sick2:

Historically the reason that buttons on the cuffs of gentlemen's jackets became fashionable was that the Navy had them sewn onto the uniform sleeves of Midshipmen. Officers could afford linen handkerchiefs and ordinary seamen used scraps of canvas or their fingers to blow snot over the side into the sea but Midshipmen could not afford the linen, nor could they be seen to behave like common sailors as they were "Officers in Training" so brass buttons were thought to be a way of stopping them "cuffing it". To this day Midshipmen in the Royal Navy are known as "Snotties", officers and ordinary seamen do not have buttons on their uniform sleeves.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »

Historically the reason that buttons on the cuffs of gentlemen's jackets became fashionable was that the Navy had them sewn onto the uniform sleeves of Midshipmen. Officers could afford linen handkerchiefs and ordinary seamen used scraps of canvas or their fingers to blow snot over the side into the sea but Midshipmen could not afford the linen, nor could they be seen to behave like common sailors as they were "Officers in Training" so brass buttons were thought to be a way of stopping them "cuffing it". To this day Midshipmen in the Royal Navy are known as "Snotties", officers and ordinary seamen do not have buttons on their uniform sleeves.

Well I never...  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
Shouldn't this be in the Medical Centre? rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
Nooo it's about buttons. ::)
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:06:17 PM »
So it should be in  the VP'ers pantomime thread?  rubschin:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »
So it should be in  the VP'ers pantomime thread?  rubschin:

drumroll:

Offline Nick

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
Whio are the Ugly Sisters?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
 scared:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
Whio are the Ugly Sisters?

BM = Baron Hardup
Nick = Buttons
JOM & Baldy = Ugly Sisters
Uncle Mort & Grumpmeister = The Broker's Men
Wicked Stepmother = Miss C
Fairy Godmother = Miss T
Cinderella = The Brat
Prince Charming = Tipsy (she has the thighs to take all the thigh slapping)
Dandini = Miss D

The rest are in the chorus.

I shall be the Narrator.  angel1

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:30 AM »
 sad24: noooo:
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!