Author Topic: Operational Inefficiency  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Operational Inefficiency
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
As Duty Manager I was sat in the Control Room drinking coffee one night when a call came through from the Police (Hertfordshire Force) to ask us to send a patrol with the keys to a warehouse in Stevenage. They "had reason to believe" that intruders were in the warehouse and had half a dozen cops "surrounding" it.
Normally the controller would have radioed the nearest patrol to RTB and collect the keys (we had a number of clients for whom we held the keys and offered a first response to) however since I was there I grabbed the keys from the safe and taking a marked patrol car raced off up the A1M.
As I entered Stevenage I was still going for it but in a 40 mph area. It was 3 in the morning and not a soul on the roads. It was also a dual carriageway but I admit that it was restricted. Got pulled by a Police Patrol Car and despite my explanation was issued a ticket. As the cop slowly wrote out the ticket and took his opportunity to lecture me my radio was squawking. Our controller was telling me that the Police had been back on to ask why it was taking so long to get to the warehouse. The cop who had pulled me heard all this but still went through all his procedures, blow in the bag, no licence, well you'll have to produce one at a police station of your choice, here's another form. Where's your insurance, oh company car (like I'd choose to drive a car emblazoned with "Security"  on all doors, bonnet and rear end) well you'll need to get their insurance certificate and take that to a police station of your choice, here's another form etc etc etc.
After I finally got away from him I reached the warehouse and sure enough a couple of local lads were nicked and charged.
I complained bitterly to the local sergeant who replied that once a ticket had been issued he could not do anything about it but recommended that I take it to court rather than pay it.  As the sergeant said at the time "Sorry mate but there's one in every nick ~ your problem was that you found him"
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »
On topic after sixteen replies...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »
I do my best   angel1

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
I do my best   angel1

Good man dog!  :thumbsup:

Have a Tesco Value 'Bonio'....  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
Ta!

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
I remember you...

It's so good to hear that you are having a good alzheimer's day, they are so few and far between. noooo:

I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
As Duty Manager I was sat in the Control Room drinking coffee one night when a call came through from the Police (Hertfordshire Force) to ask us to send a patrol with the keys to a warehouse in Stevenage. They "had reason to believe" that intruders were in the warehouse and had half a dozen cops "surrounding" it.
Normally the controller would have radioed the nearest patrol to RTB and collect the keys (we had a number of clients for whom we held the keys and offered a first response to) however since I was there I grabbed the keys from the safe and taking a marked patrol car raced off up the A1M.
As I entered Stevenage I was still going for it but in a 40 mph area. It was 3 in the morning and not a soul on the roads. It was also a dual carriageway but I admit that it was restricted. Got pulled by a Police Patrol Car and despite my explanation was issued a ticket. As the cop slowly wrote out the ticket and took his opportunity to lecture me my radio was squawking. Our controller was telling me that the Police had been back on to ask why it was taking so long to get to the warehouse. The cop who had pulled me heard all this but still went through all his procedures, blow in the bag, no licence, well you'll have to produce one at a police station of your choice, here's another form. Where's your insurance, oh company car (like I'd choose to drive a car emblazoned with "Security"  on all doors, bonnet and rear end) well you'll need to get their insurance certificate and take that to a police station of your choice, here's another form etc etc etc.
After I finally got away from him I reached the warehouse and sure enough a couple of local lads were nicked and charged.
I complained bitterly to the local sergeant who replied that once a ticket had been issued he could not do anything about it but recommended that I take it to court rather than pay it.  As the sergeant said at the time "Sorry mate but there's one in every nick ~ your problem was that you found him"
As I said earlier...Twats, the lot of 'em. I was hit once by an illegal immigrant- ''old bills'' wording, not mine. He had no insurance, no tax, car not registered in his name, despite the fact he had owned it for over 2 years, speeding, no seatbelt and no lights even though it was early evening in October. I had to produce, he was let go. When I bought it up with the desk sargeant he said '' yeah mate, it 'appens all the time. We know they are illegal, but we 'ave to bail 'em, and then they bugger off. Its just not worth the paperwork''  You couldn't make it up. Wankah: Wankah: Jail:
I started my life with nothing and I still have most of it left

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
As I said earlier...Twats, the lot of 'em. I was hit once by an illegal immigrant- ''old bills'' wording, not mine. He had no insurance, no tax, car not registered in his name, despite the fact he had owned it for over 2 years, speeding, no seatbelt and no lights even though it was early evening in October. I had to produce, he was let go. When I bought it up with the desk sargeant he said '' yeah mate, it 'appens all the time. We know they are illegal, but we 'ave to bail 'em, and then they bugger off. Its just not worth the paperwork''  You couldn't make it up. Wankah: Wankah: Jail:

lol: lol: lol:
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »
With apologies to Pirate, I was brought up to trust the plod. All my experience in the last 35 years has taught me to do so no longer. They have been politicised, forced into daft targets and have developed an arrogance that I find unhelpful. I avoid them nowadays, which is a shame.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »

lol: lol: lol:

The police car is for TMR....  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
With apologies to Pirate, I was brought up to trust the plod. All my experience in the last 35 years has taught me to do so no longer. They have been politicised, forced into daft targets and have developed an arrogance that I find unhelpful. I avoid them nowadays, which is a shame.

I would not trust old bill as far as I could throw them. Arrogant, power crazy, always after the easy nick, targets or not. http://youtu.be/OEoJQpkUNRc     Not only America !!

Offline bodiam

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 05:04:38 AM »
this thread has gone rather quiet......too near the truth methinks Shrugs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
Nah, it's just that we have all gone back to sleep.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
Nah, it's just that we have all gone back to sleep.
Those who have nicked all the duvet may have.  evil:
I mostly despair