Author Topic: Drought warnings  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Drought warnings
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
I have a question about this whole mess. Why the hell, as an island nation, do we not have desalinisation plants already in place especially in the south east where ridiculous amounts of housing have been encouraged without making sure that the infrastructure was in place to truly support it.

As a long term solution building the plants now with the government co-financing the endeavour would be a valid option with the added bonus of creating a large number of jobs for the next few years at least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103809/UK-drought-2012-Water-companies-say-mustnt-spend-FOUR-minutes-shower.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Drought warnings
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
I have a question about this whole mess. Why the hell, as an island nation, do we not have desalinisation plants already in place especially in the south east where ridiculous amounts of housing have been encouraged without making sure that the infrastructure was in place to truly support it.

As a long term solution building the plants now with the government co-financing the endeavour would be a valid option with the added bonus of creating a large number of jobs for the next few years at least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103809/UK-drought-2012-Water-companies-say-mustnt-spend-FOUR-minutes-shower.html

:thumbsup:

The desalination plants could be wind-powered as well.
I mostly despair

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »
going back to my early fishing days, there was a study done in the 60's which promoted the idea of linking the multitude of canals and waterways as a means of transferring water around the country. Twas low cost, low tech and very simple.
Now they are talking about the expense of pipelines!

RTFM

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
going back to my early fishing days, there was a study done in the 60's which promoted the idea of linking the multitude of canals and waterways as a means of transferring water around the country. Twas low cost, low tech and very simple.

They mentioned the canal solution on the wireless this morning...

It does beggar belief that they'll spend squillions on a high speed rail link (not to mention foreign aid to India) when there isn't enough water to drink....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
The canal system is quite amazing. People don't realise how they link up (or could be linked)

RTFM

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »

It does beggar belief that they'll spend squillions on a high speed rail link (not to mention foreign aid to India) when there isn't enough water to drink....  noooo:

Canals are full of fish and fish fuck in them  sick2:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »

As are reservoirs and rivers!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

Which is why all water consumed should first be treated with Hops and Barley.  :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »

Which is why all water consumed should first be treated with Hops and Barley.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »

India has already said that they don't want our aid, we had to beg them to take it ffs  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline barmisspah?

• Fool Member
    • Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
Drought measures would not be needed if the pipes had been systematically repaired/replaced over the last umpteen years.
Instead we have a system that leaks like a seive with extra holes.
But of course it was far more important to give huuge bonuses all round.
I couldn't ask for better friends. I could ask for more NORMAL friends, but not better ones.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
Funny but they keep on putting out flood warnings here ...... Living half way up a mountain I ignore them.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
We can't have a drought in the South East this year....it's not in any of the Olympic planning  happy001
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
But they are doing an explosion at ALdwych. WHat can possibly go wrong? Stumpy  angel1
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
But they are doing an explosion at ALdwych. WHat can possibly go wrong? Stumpy  angel1

Miss D is not an aldwych.........