Disgusterous

Author Topic: Face your fears - Conquer your fears  (Read 920 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Face your fears - Conquer your fears
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
Send Miss D on an assault course, you say?  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
Did me a power of good!

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

True story in answer to Miss D's opening post
Many years ago I spent 28 days with the Army (OK I was in the "Glass House" for minor misdeeds and the RAF don't have their own 'Correction Facility'). The daily routine was harsh and included an assault course, part of which was the "Tree Top Run". This consisted of a rope climb up into the trees and then a sprint long a series of planks tied to branches that led from tree to tree and a "Death Slide" back down at the end. H&S didn't come into it. To get from one plank to the next was a jump of about two feet. Not hard at the run, if it was on the ground but this was 30 feet in the air! The target was to complete the run from ground, up the ropes and then along the planks and down the "Death Slide" in 5 minutes.
The whole thing terrified me but the Staff Sergeant was having no nonsense. I just could not do it until he took me to one side and offered advice. "It is not the height that is your problem.... it's the fear of falling ..... Now what are you more afraid of? A few weeks in sick quarters with those luverly nurses or ME?" ........ "Come on lad, follow me and do what I do" and he went up the rope like a bloody monkey. I followed and managed the course with him shouting at me to "Buck up" the whole way. Repeat daily for 28 days and I was no longer afraid of heights. I still get that tingle in the feet and butterflies in the stomach if I stand on the edge of a cliff or tall building but I know what my fear is and that with effort I can cope with it

So in answer to you question: Yes you can conquer fears if you face and rationalise them.

scared2:

You obviously have more of a fight instinct than my predominantly flighty one  lol:

Skubber

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
If you had seen the power that those Staff Sergeants had over detainees in the 60's you would have gone up the rope too.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
 lol:

Probably but the rope would have been well slippy for those following me as I woudl have wee'd meself  redface:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
I guess it depends on how it is done, when I was a student nurse a couple of friends decided they were going to get me over my fear of heights so arranged an activity weekend with me.  It started off well enough, rock climbing and a bit of abseiling was fine as long as I didn't look down so they decided to take things a little further......bridge swinging and a bungee jump (the latter they didn't tell me anything about). If you haven't heard of bridge swinging its basically a massive rope swing under a tall bridge or viaduct, jump off and physics does the rest.

Then came the bungee jump, I wasn't overly happy when they sprung it on me but I decided to give it a go anyway.  What I hadn't been told was that there were to kinds of jump available, normal and 'daredevil' where you end up dropping far enough that your heard ends breaks the surface of the river below.....

No prizes for guessing which one that pair of evil feckers signed me up for.  evil:

On the plus side I have to admit while I'm still not keen, I'm not as bothered about heights as I was before, but falling on the other hand...  scared2:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.