Author Topic: Mortgage without a house.  (Read 569 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Mortgage without a house.
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
Don't really want (or am indeed doing so) to piss on Miss G's chips like, but now she's been told that she's achieved the required grades for Uni (element of suprise now gone BEFORE she even receives her results, tar ::)) errrr, can someone actually explain to me where this is all going to lead to?

No idea what career path she wants to follow, so here's to the most expensive party of your life sweetie.

G Jnr will have earned approx the same in the next 3 years she will owe.

Cause for celebration?

More like serious cause for concern imo.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Mortgage without a house.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Firstly well done to Miss G  :thumbsup:
I know we all knock the modern A levels but they still take some getting.
Does she know which Uni she is going to accept an offer from yet and what course is she planning to take?

The THW is home for the hols having just finished her first year at Royal Holloway. The work load is tremendous although this is partly due to the course she selected which has a compulsory 25 contact hours i.e with Tutors and/or in lectures each week. The self study element is estimated by the uni to be a further 30 hours per week but she swears it is more like 50 most weeks. Many courses do not have that many contact hours and seem like a bit of a skive but the students still have to do a hell of a lot of self teaching (Better named Guided Reading I think) and of course they have regular exams etc to contend with as well as several thousand words of written work to submit each week.

Yes she has been on the p*ss a few times but TBH they simply can't afford it once they have paid their rent, food bills etc. It really isn't the 3 year party that Woodstock and Nick remember with an occasional tutorial and non compulsory lectures that you didn't bother about if you were hung over as most of the study is now taught in a modular fashion and they have to turn up and do it.

Of course we were lucky in that The THW got in under the old fees and not the new ones and since she did her fees are fixed for the three years at £3250p.a. so her "debt" will not be that big at the end of it all Fvck knows how we'll manage if the other two get to uni.

TBH I have moaned a lot about the child over the years and she is now an even bigger pain in the arse 'cos she thinks she knows everything ..... but didn't we all at that age. I am however enormously proud of her and the fact that she is the first in my family to ever get to university.

The only other thing I can tell Miss G via you is that it will be nothing like she is expecting and will all come as a total shock but she'll get through that and in a few months will be an "old hand" at it. Wish her all the luck in the world ..... Oh and one last thing, don't worry about the new "Friends" she'll make. They will all be unsuitable to parental eyes but by year two she will have dropped them and found better. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:42:11 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
Well I don't know if I've been reading and or listening to too many horror stories of uni students that are coming out after 3 years of studying and gaining degress and such, and then straight onto the dole, or at best,, stacking shelves in The Asda, but I think I'm rightly concerned for her future.
Uni is NOT ...imo...the be all and end all, but students are made to feel as though it is now.

Young G jnr was not academically brilliant and has stated over and over again how he thinks he is thick and stupid simply becuase his little sis is probably going to uni, now confirmed.
Dreading him coming home tonight from his PROFFESION, but there'll be no consolling him.

In many ways, I'm more proud of him, as he's struggled throughout his childhood and teen years, battling with health problems and bullying, and now here he is, the pride of the fleet at GHA coaches...the youngest PCV driver, and one of the most popular amongst the passengers.

Meanwhile, Miss G is rightly very proud of herself, as we all are, and she's off to Lancaster at the end of Septemeber.
I just pray and hope we are all going to see something positive in terms of a career at the end of this horrendously expensive 'trip'.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
  eeek: Lancaster!  That takes some getting into. THW elected not to apply to them after the initial visit  as she felt it was too close to home AND they have a 5 year rebuilding programme and she didn't fancy the noise/mess that goes with such a thing .... well that was her story anyway. Still it is a good uni if a bit up its own arse in their brochures. As it happens she would not have got an offer from them anyway.

A degree from there should be a passport to a good future and 3 years is a long way off so she has time to look at the options available.

THW has already applied for her job ...... In Australia where geologists are in demand it seems. She has got in early so that she can hopefully qualify to do her PHD over there under some sponsorship deal offered by one of the mining companies. I confidently expect that Marriage and Babies may come into the equation before she finally gets there. Such things happen.  ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
Snoopy is correct. Well done the Moose. What is she going to study|?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
Snoopy is correct. Well done the Moose. What is she going to study|?

Anger management........... whistle:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
 happy001
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
  eeek: Lancaster!  That takes some getting into. THW elected not to apply to them after the initial visit  as she felt it was too close to home AND they have a 5 year rebuilding programme and she didn't fancy the noise/mess that goes with such a thing .... well that was her story anyway. Still it is a good uni if a bit up its own arse in their brochures. As it happens she would not have got an offer from them anyway.

A degree from there should be a passport to a good future and 3 years is a long way off so she has time to look at the options available.

THW has already applied for her job ...... In Australia where geologists are in demand it seems. She has got in early so that she can hopefully qualify to do her PHD over there under some sponsorship deal offered by one of the mining companies. I confidently expect that Marriage and Babies may come into the equation before she finally gets there. Such things happen.  ::)

Add my congratulations to the others Growler.  At the end of the day it is just a path that she is taking be proud of her.

My middle daughter went to Lancaster she graduated last year.  It's a great Uni. It changed my daughter in many ways but the biggest and most surprising although it should not have been I suppose, was her sense of finally finding her own place. Daughter 1 went to Southampton my old stamping ground so we both knew our way around when I went to visit but I had never been to Lancaster so she got to show the place off to us.  It was lovely. cloud9:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
It is indeedeedodo C.
One of my favouristist haunts is just up the road too...Grizedale Forest complex. :thumbsup: cloud9:

The uni is quite astonishing.
Massive and akin to a small town really.

What I can't werk out is that even though I've driven up the M6 hundreds of times, literally passing it by just a few hundred yards, I NEVER knew it was actually where it is! eeek:
You can hear the motorway quite clearly from the car park.

Even got its own garage repair center/petrol pumps!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:49:57 AM by GROWLER »