Disgusterous

Author Topic: This changing world  (Read 748 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
This changing world
« on: September 15, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
When I toddled off to get a hair-cut this morning I had several self imposed chores to attend to.
First the haircut then I went to an ATM to draw some cash for the week ....   Shocked: £1.90 for the privilege of drawing my own money out ~ Not on your Nelly! So I drove to another machine (Prolly spent the £1.90 on petrol but one has to take a stand I feel)
Thence to the tobacconist for some rolling mixture but they've shut down due to lack of trade so Golden Virginia it'll have to be. I even have to Mail Order me pipe baccy angry041:
AND then a thought struck ~ It might be well received on the home front if I purchased some cream cakes for afternoon tea. Drove all round Rhyl and Prestatyn and could not find a single Bakers Shop where I could park, pop in and say "I'll have a couple of cream horns, a choux bun and one of those eclairs please" Not a fvcking one! Choice is Mr Kipling from the Spar (The equivalent of "garage flowers" for the lady of your life in my opinion ~ so a definite no-no) or a trudge around Sainsbugs, Morrisons or Asda just to buy 4 cakes .... too much like hard work and anyway I don't do supermarkets for cakes ... all come in from central bakeries. The so called in-store bakeries are a con.  noooo:
But this set me to thinking:
When did you last hear a TV chef say "Get your butcher to bone the joint for you" or "Ask the fishmonger to prepare the fillets for you". I have noticed that they all now say "If you have a good butcher/fishmonger he'll do this for you" and such creatures are a rare breed in this area. Once again it is all pre-packed shite from the big supermarket chains. Don't be fooled by the striped aprons and straw hats ~ those idiots are not butchers nor are they fishmongers shovelling the ice over some indifferent haddock.

Now those of you fortunate enough to live in big cities or down sarf no doubt wonder what I am so vexed about because bakers, butchers and even candle stick makers do still exist there but here in North Wales they are as extinct as the friggin dinosaurs.
Popping out on a whim for a cream bun is simply no longer possible .... and my neighbours ask why we want to sell the house and move back to England. Fvcking obvious I should have thought!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: This changing world
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
When I toddled off to get a hair-cut this morning I had several self imposed chores to attend to.
First the haircut then I went to an ATM to draw some cash for the week ....   Shocked: £1.90 for the privilege of drawing my own money out ~ Not on your Nelly! So I drove to another machine (Prolly spent the £1.90 on petrol but one has to take a stand I feel)
Thence to the tobacconist for some rolling mixture but they've shut down due to lack of trade so Golden Virginia it'll have to be. I even have to Mail Order me pipe baccy angry041:
AND then a thought struck ~ It might be well received on the home front if I purchased some cream cakes for afternoon tea. Drove all round Rhyl and Prestatyn and could not find a single Bakers Shop where I could park, pop in and say "I'll have a couple of cream horns, a choux bun and one of those eclairs please" Not a fvcking one! Choice is Mr Kipling from the Spar (The equivalent of "garage flowers" for the lady of your life in my opinion ~ so a definite no-no) or a trudge around Sainsbugs, Morrisons or Asda just to buy 4 cakes .... too much like hard work and anyway I don't do supermarkets for cakes ... all come in from central bakeries. The so called in-store bakeries are a con.  noooo:
When did you last hear a TV chef say "Get your butcher to bone the joint for you" or "Ask the fishmonger to prepare the fillets for you". I have noticed that they all now say "If you have a good butcher/fishmonger he'll do this for you" and such creatures are a rare breed in this area. Once again it is all pre-packed shite from the big supermarket chains. Don't be fooled by the striped aprons and straw hats ~ those idiots are not butchers nor are they fishmongers shovelling the ice over some indifferent haddock.

Now those of you fortunate enough to live in big cities or down sarf no doubt wonder what I am so vexed about because bakers, butchers and even candle stick makers do still exist there but here in North Wales they are as extinct as the friggin dinosaurs.
Popping out on a whim for a cream bun is simply no longer possible .... and my neighbours ask why we want to sell the house and move back to England. Fvcking obvious I should have thought!

Starting to change here too ................too many ex-pats wanting tesco-type products etc ............................................................ noooo:

Defo a sign of the times ......still plenty of bakeries tho.......but butchers are finding it hard to compete with the big stores..........

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
The other thing going is the old style barbers .........used to go for haircut n wet shave ......... :thumbsup:.......shave was a quid ,,,,,,,

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »

Do you not have farmer's markets? Not much good for fish or cakes but decent meat is readily available if there are no butchers.

Alternatively, PYO venison.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
The other thing going is the old style barbers .........used to go for haircut n wet shave ......... :thumbsup:.......shave was a quid ,,,,,,,

Oh yes! The bliss of the hot towels, the creamy lather, the cut-throat gliding over the chin, small scissors to trim the moustache and "anything for the week-end sir?" All gone from this area. It's all fat tarts with brightly coloured hair and poncing about wiv water sprays "'cos I can't do a dry cut"  cussing:

Back in the early 70's I used to go to a Greek Barber in Bernard Street, Southampton (Close to Dock Gate 10) where a shave was a daily luxury to which I treated myself. A glass of wine was included and if I desired (and had the time spare) I could spend the morning playing cards with locals and blokes off the boats ~ right there in the barber's shop. He even employed a "boy" to take bets round to the bookies for his customers. Ah .... Halcyon Days!  cloud9:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »

Do you not have farmer's markets? Not much good for fish or cakes but decent meat is readily available if there are no butchers.

Alternatively, PYO venison.  whistle:

Not a Farmer's Market within 20 miles of here. Venison I buy mail order from  Scotland ~ very few deer in this part of Wales. Even the local shoot (Pheasant only) would rather bury/burn the birds they bring down than sell them to the locals. Makes no sense to me but the local gamekeeper tells me that his orders are that all birds not taken away by the shoot members have to be incinerated and he will not sell them to anyone. Unbelievable that he is clearly paid so much that he actually does this and makes no attempt to sell the surplus to make a few £s on the side.

Lil Bruv is a butcher, works in Oswestry now, and he tells me that they cannot buy local meat, birds etc for love nor money. All is imported.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
I used a fab butcher on the Wirral  and have found one almost as good just up the road. Even took Growler there  cloud9:

Got a great combined fishmonger and greengrocer here

http://fredhallam.com/

ANd I know a baker in Ainsdale.....
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
I know Nick but at £1.43 a litre the fuel cost makes "popping to them" a tad expensive for me. That's why I want to move ..... well among many other reasons.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
I knows I complain about it sometimes but living dahn 'ere amidst a cornucopia of suppliers varied 'as its benefits Guv ...  ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
Borough Market is fab but stoopidly expensive. Is Brixton market still good? I recall seeing live chickens on sale. Sort of Kill yer own  rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
I knows I complain about it sometimes but living dahn 'ere amidst a cornucopia of suppliers varied 'as its benefits Guv ...  ;)

I often question the reasons for coming here and leaving all that behind. 
rubschin: Mind you it has got much worse here over the last 11 years.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
Borough Market is fab but stoopidly expensive. Is Brixton market still good? I recall seeing live chickens on sale. Sort of Kill yer own  rubschin:

Borough market is hideously expensive and has become nothing short of a tourist attraction. Round here East Street market is reasonable... birthplace of Charlie Chapin by the way  ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
"This changing world" has other detriments - I've given up the number of times I've heard people say "Can I get...xyz". Bloody Americanisms do my feckin' head in.