Disgusterous

Author Topic: Revelations  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Revelations
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
Channel 4 are broadcasting some documentary tomorrow night about work conditions and pay for staff working on cruises.

Billed as ..

Channel 4 Dispatches goes undercover to investigate the reality of life below deck for the multi-national workforce who toil behind the scenes of glamorous ocean going holidays.

The cruise industry generates billions of pounds in revenue each year and working on a ship provides many people from around the world a much needed source of income.

However Dispatches reporter Tazeen Ahmad - travelling as a passenger on a European cruise - and an undercover reporter working as an assistant waiter discover working conditions below the legal minimum in the UK

Seems like an excuse for a few people to go on a cruise to me  rubschin: Isn't this common knowledge and common practice within most tourist workplaces ?
Skubber

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: Revelations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
Channel 4 are broadcasting some documentary tomorrow night about work conditions and pay for staff working on cruises.

Billed as ..

Channel 4 Dispatches goes undercover to investigate the reality of life below deck for the multi-national workforce who toil behind the scenes of glamorous ocean going holidays.

The cruise industry generates billions of pounds in revenue each year and working on a ship provides many people from around the world a much needed source of income.

However Dispatches reporter Tazeen Ahmad - travelling as a passenger on a European cruise - and an undercover reporter working as an assistant waiter discover working conditions below the legal minimum in the UK

Seems like an excuse for a few people to go on a cruise to me  rubschin: Isn't this common knowledge and common practice within most tourist workplaces ?

Well said .............they get a contract before they live/join ...........but they get to see the places

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
We await a reply from Pasty.... Popcorn:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
I couldn't possibly comment ...   whistle:    angel1 

Ackchewlly, I could, but I'll wait until the prog is aired tomorrer, like. The cruise fora are waiting with bated breath   happy001
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »

This is the typical shite that qualifies as entertainment for the sheeple in the UK these days...  noooo:

I wonder if it is because the ships aren't registered in the UK nor do they spend much of their time in UK waters...  Ipso facto they have no need to comply with any UK regulations... rubschin:

Have they brought back press gangs and forced these workers onto the ships? No.

Perhaps they should get their team of crack reporters to look at the conditions of UK citizens serving in Afghan and being killed on a daily basis in a pointless 'war' that we can never win and will serve no purpose except waste thousands of lives and cost billions of taxpayer's hard-earned...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:46 PM »

This is the typical shite that qualifies as entertainment for the sheeple in the UK these days...  noooo:

I wonder if it is because the ships aren't registered in the UK nor do they spend much of their time in UK waters...  Ipso facto they have no need to comply with any UK regulations... rubschin:

Perhaps they should get their team of crack reporters to look at the conditions of UK citizens serving in Afghan and being killed on a daily basis in a pointless 'war' that we can never win and will serve no purpose except waste thousands of lives and cost billions of taxpayer's hard-earned...?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wot I say .............One day on the mic it will all come out .........

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
Is the cruise industry any worse than other forms of tourism in other countries though ? Most waiting staff I would assume are on minimum to below minimum wage in their country and rely on any tips etc to bolster their pay packet .

It is not lucrative and bloody hard work but in many countries it is dependable and reliable work and that has it's own value.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:37:54 PM by Miss Demeanour »
Skubber

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
Is the cruise industry any worse than other forms of tourism in other countries though ? Most waiting staff I would assume are on minimum to below minimum wage in their country and rely on any tips etc to bolster their pay packet .

It is not lucrative and bloody hard work but in many countries it is dependable and reliable work and that has it's own value.

Clearly, they wouldn't do it if it didn't offer terms and conditions as good as or better than they could receive elsewhere....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Zackly , and how are they going to offer a lifetime of love and devotion to widowed and single wimmin that they wouldn't get a chance to meet otherwise  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Zackly , and how are they going to offer a lifetime of love and devotion to widowed and single wimmin that they wouldn't get a chance to meet otherwise  whistle:

They have widowed and single wimmin on there...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
They create them on some cruises  whistle:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
They create them on some cruises  whistle:

Perfick!  eveilgrin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
Emails have been flying back and forth over this prog   lol:

Some note comparing will follow tomorrow.   whistle:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »
Well I'm sure that it won't have done too much for recruitment in the UK but tthere will be plenty of others that will always fill the places.

Having to pay for your uniform seems a con as do a few other tactics!
Skubber