Disgusterous

Author Topic: Interweb Woes  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Interweb Woes
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
Okay clever dicks and PC saddos?

Sometimes I switch my PC off at night and sometimes I leave it on all night ? bollocks to the environment.

Anyway, when I sit down in front of it in the morning with my cup o? tea it all works fine (okay pedants, it works fine if I switched it off at night but switched it back on in the morning).

However, if I switch it to ?standby? at night the Interweb doesn?t work in the morning ? why?

I can get e-mail and ?ping? Yahoo, etc. but the Interweb (IE 7) just won?t find and load web pages?

I?d like to leave it on standby because it is up-and-running in a couple of seconds and I can be reading your priceless nocturnal writings even faster?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
Re: Interweb Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:52:58 PM »

Sometimes I switch my PC off at night and sometimes I leave it on all night ? bollocks to the environment.

Anyway, when I sit down in front of it in the morning with my cup o? tea it all works fine (okay pedants, it works fine if I switched it off at night but switched it back on in the morning).

However, if I switch it to ?standby? at night the Interweb doesn?t work in the morning ? why?

I can get e-mail and ?ping? Yahoo, etc. but the Interweb (IE 7) just won?t find and load web pages?

I?d like to leave it on standby because it is up-and-running in a couple of seconds and I can be reading your priceless nocturnal writings even faster?  whistle:

Next time this happens BM, do the following (the bits in green are what you type):

Open a Command Prompt window. In there type: ipconfig and hit the enter key.

You should see something like this:

Quote from: computer
C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home   (you may see something different)
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx

C:\>

Where xxx will be a 1 to 3 digit value. I suspect that when you are experiencing your problem, you will find there is no value at all in the Default Gateway. If so, this explains your problem.

To rectify, either log off and on again, or, in the Command Prompt window, enter this: ipconfig /release

Wait until you see a result (you'll see something similar to above with no values) then enter: ipconfig /renew

Wait, eventually, you should see something like above with values for all fields. At this point, you should find that t'Interweb is working again.

Let us know how you get on.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:55:08 PM »
Be quicker to turn it off at night and back on in the morning.
I switch mine on en route to the kettle. By the time I return with a cuppa in hand there you all are.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »

Next time this happens BM, do the following (the bits in green are what you type):

Where xxx will be a 1 to 3 digit value. I suspect that when you are experiencing your problem, you will find there is no value at all in the Default Gateway. If so, this explains your problem.

To rectify, either log off and on again, or, in the Command Prompt window, enter this: ipconfig /release

Wait until you see a result (you'll see something similar to above with no values) then enter: ipconfig /renew

Wait, eventually, you should see something like above with values for all fields. At this point, you should find that t'Interweb is working again.

Done that - renewing the IP didn't work...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:22:08 PM »

Try burning a Joss stick shoved in the disk slot, to ward off the evils spirits that enter the box at night.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »

I refer the honourable member to the answer I provided earlier.
Frankly how you can face this lot without at least a cup of tea in your hand is beyond me.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Misunderstood

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 01:15:04 AM »
Try hibernate instead of standby,  I have the same type of problems out of standby and so do most other people I know, a lot can never get XP out of standby at all.   I imaging its a generic problem that they have never got round to fixing - and won't bother now Vista's about.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:53:23 PM »
Standby seems more stable with media centre edition than standard XP. I'm guessing that they tried fixing the problem as they wanted it to be the centre of the home entertainment experience before Vista escaped.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
Upgrade from a Vic20 to C64.  happy088
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »
Or a ZX Spectrum at least  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Sour Puss

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 01:51:24 AM »
Or a ZX Spectrum at least  whistle:

noooo: BBC B surley?   rubschin:

I have a few rubber bands around here somewhere...would you like to borrow them?

No... Wait...I know... I will post over these two white mice, they claim to know lots about computers...   ;)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: