Disgusterous

Author Topic: One hell of a caffiene high  (Read 1266 times)

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
One hell of a caffiene high
« on: August 13, 2007, 03:20:55 PM »
Bloody hell, comparing my caffiene intake to hers I should totally buggered by now  eeek: scared2:

A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.
Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.

The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.

She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.

Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.

She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.

"My nerves were all over the place.

"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.

"I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.

"I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."

The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.

Her father Gary, who runs The Sandwich Bar in Stanley, said: "She did not realise she was drinking double measures.

"I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Sour Puss

Re: One hell of a caffiene high
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »
Bloody hell, comparing my caffiene intake to hers I should totally buggered by now  eeek: scared2:

I now try to keep mine to 3 or 4 a day, I used to drink a lot of coffee, although I have never had that sort of problem. Her dad was right, anythng in moderation.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
Bloody hell, comparing my caffiene intake to hers I should totally buggered by now  eeek: scared2:

A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.
Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.

The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.

She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.

Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.

She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.

"My nerves were all over the place.

"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.

"I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.

"I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."

The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.

Her father Gary, who runs The Sandwich Bar in Stanley, said: "She did not realise she was drinking double measures.

"I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."

Excess of anything is not a good idea.
That said life would be bloody boring if you never indulged in whatever took your fancy.

Personally I gave up on caffeine drinks some time ago. I don't even drink those that are supposed to be non-caffeine (because they are not) teas and coffees. I do drink Green tea (no milk) and some herbal teas. BUT then I have indulged (some would say over indulged) on most of life's pleasures over the years. Now, with responsibilities I did not expect at this time of my life, I am taking a little more care.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
I've been a fairly heavy coffee drinker since I was in college and I know I can go without but after a couple of days I tend to feel like hell on toast but on the other hand I know I dont have a problem as I'm not nipping out every 5 minutes to rub Nescafe on my gums.

That said, there are certainly worse things to have any kind of dependancy on.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »
You can limit the effects of caffeine by consuming alcohol to fight it:- ten coffees and ten pints of Young's a day seems to balance nicely.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »
You can limit the effects of caffeine by consuming alcohol to fight it:- ten coffees and ten pints of Young's a day seems to balance nicely.

In the days when I ran my own Pub I would have had that by lunch time. SWMBO kept count over a couple of days without my knowledge 23 pints per day and 3 pots of coffee was the average ~ which may go some way to explaining my current state of health. Like I said I have (over) indulged through the years. Now seems the right time to slow down and leave it to the next generation. I can truly say "Been There, Got the Scars".
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »

She prolly just had the painters in...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »
No wonder it took so long to decorate the cafe then, she was drinking their coffee  drumroll: