Author Topic: Stop! Don't make that sandwich ......  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
Stop! Don't make that sandwich ......
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:41 AM »
LONDON (Reuters) - A woman has died and two more people are seriously ill after an outbreak of E.coli in Scotland which may have been caused by cooked meat from the supermarket chain Morrison, health authorities said on Tuesday.
A BBC undercover investigation at Tesco and J. Sainsbury supermarkets hit the headlines in May when it showed employees sometimes failing to follow food hygiene rules.

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another outbreak ? caused by supermarkets sometimes failing to follow food hygiene rules my bottom?

On many a occasion I?ve blanched to see the servers on deli counters, although adhering to the rules of wearing protective overalls, hair covering and using those thin see through plastic gloves move from one product to the next without changing gloves (ie: meat to dairy and back again, etc etc) and then, even worse bringing the said gloves up to their face to wipe something away or passing the said gloves over loose bits of straggling hair and continuing to serve wearing the same gloves ?.
My trolley has then developed its own exit strategy and I?ve returned any previous deli purchases to their counter!

And don?t get me started on hygiene in hospitals nowadays ? okay if you insist I will say something on it such as:

One of the memorable instances that springs to mind is staying with my Mother when she was transferred from A&E to the monitoring ward and watching in bewildered disbelief as the nurse, when asked by me for a jug of water for my Mother, moved from my Mother?s bed to the bed of the man just across the way who was packing up to be discharged and blithely took the jug and glass he had been using off his side cabinet and placed it in front of my Mother. Beggars belief doesn?t it and no I did not allow my Mother to use that particular jug or glass and yes I did make a formal complaint to the ward sister ? for what it was worth.  Banghead

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Stop! Don't make that sandwich ......
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
When, on rare occasions that we use supermarkets, Mrs Snoopy reverts to Jewish mode and insists that her purchases are packed in a Kosher fashion. That does cause chaos (and gives me much amusement) but is in reality basic hygiene.
Mrs S also keeps her fridge and freezer in a Kosher manner.

AND before some ignorant would be smart arse asks that has nothing to do with bacon. OK? evil:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Berek

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
given Morrisons record for selling stuff out of date i'm not surprised, for example, just last month

http://www.talkingretail.com/news/5989/Morrisons-fined-for-selling-ou.ehtml

and here in Barrow :

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=412606

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:42 AM »
Of course E.coli has more to do with washing your hands after wiping your arse than sell by dates but Berek has a point. This organisation has a track record of such problems.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »
Of course E.coli has more to do with washing your hands after wiping your arse than sell by dates but Berek has a point. This organisation has a track record of such problems.
Made worse by employing such a high proportion of arses. ::)
I mostly despair

Misunderstood

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
Looking to the wise experiences of Mrs Snoopy and ever mindful of the dour warning posted by the mutt...

I really would like to know what he means by kosher packaging and.....

Would they laugh at me for demanding kosher packed bacon?

scared:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
Looking to the wise experiences of Mrs Snoopy and ever mindful of the dour warning posted by the mutt...

I really would like to know what he means by kosher packaging and.....

Would they laugh at me for demanding kosher packed bacon?

scared:

Kosher Packing not Packaging. Packaging is what the products are wrapped in. Packing is what they do at the checkout.
Basic hygiene rules apply ~ do not mix cooked and uncooked meats in the same carrier bag etc but Kosher takes it further in that you may not mix dairy products with cooked meats. Eggs may not be placed in the same bag as chicken. Fish and meat should not be mixed in the same carrier and so on ~ there are any number of "rules" but I suspect she makes some of them up to annoy checkout supervisors.
As explained before Mrs S is Jewish by race and not by religion but she can throw a Nigella type fit when she wants to.
As for Ham and Bacon yes we eat them. In my experience so do most Jews apart from the "Orthodox" variety but that is Race PLUS Religion and is a whole different ball game (No pockets ~ they tie things about them with string)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:04:30 PM »

In my experience so do most Jews apart from the "Orthodox" variety but that is Race PLUS Religion and is a whole different ball game (No pockets ~ they tie things about them with string)

Oooo errrr  eeek:

The mind boggles at that one - is it a bit like Opus Dei then??
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »

In my experience so do most Jews apart from the "Orthodox" variety but that is Race PLUS Religion and is a whole different ball game (No pockets ~ they tie things about them with string)

Oooo errrr  eeek:

Rubbish!
I use baler twine to hold my trousers up, same thing.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »

Oooo errrr  eeek:

Nothing like it. Note the dangling strings:

Have you never seen them???

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »

Oooo errrr  eeek:

Nothing like it. Note the dangling strings:

Have you never seen them???

Yes, once whilst waiting for a flight at Thiefrow - he had several bundles strung about his body. He then began to pray (at least I assume that's what he was doing) by preparing himself. He first tied something round his arm, then produced a book from somewhence under his voluminous clothing (despite it being summer) and proceeded to stand looking out of a large window with book in hand, rocking and swaying and saying something in an odd language.

Very odd it was. Quite disconcerting. Many people moved away. I think if it had been nowadays, rather than 10 years ago, he'd have been jumped on by security or police with guns!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Misunderstood

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
GOSH!

You learn something new every day.  rubschin:   But why the string?   surrender:

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a Muslim I happen to know. 

He said "If the British government enacted a law that forced or forbade Muslims to do something, then I would support obeying that law.  If I do not like the law then I would look for somewhere else in the world to live."

I asked him why he does not protest at what Muslims do in protests?  he replied "My life would not be worth living if I spoke up, and if I criticised the deeds done in the name of my religion then they would issue a fatwa against me."

So now we know!  There are real Jews and there are real Muslims, I understand there are real Christians too.

If we had the guts to ban religious action and reaction, we'd be OK...  What could go wrong?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »
They are in fact strings tied to the edges of a four-cornered garment worn by orthodox Jewish men in fulfillment of Biblical commandment in the verse “They shall make fringes upon the corners of their garments."

They do tend to use them to attach symbols of their religion etc. Leading to the urban myth that they do have pockets in their garments.

Sorry when I started this I did not allow for the fact that I have spent half my life working in London where such things are everyday and one says such things safe in the knowledge that others know what you are talking about. redface: It's a play upon the alleged carefulness with money. No pockets means I can't pay.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
No pockets means I can't pay.
Aye! Quite correct.
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »
So where does the Bible or Torah mention Volvo estate cars?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile