Author Topic: These fibre optic providers  (Read 13569 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
These fibre optic providers
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Am I right in saying there's just the three of them?
BT Infinity, Virgin and Sky?

Just been on another site what I frequent, and ther's much discussion as to which one scores better over the others.

Conclusion?
There doesn't seem to be one tbh.
All receiving loads of praise and critisism, albeit the praise wins generally speaking.

April is fast approaching and I want to make the right decision when I come to change IP away from this poxy ao hell contract end.
Will be requiring a good built in blower deal and will even consider selected tv channels of interest too.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: These fibre optic providers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »

Just been on another site what I frequent, and ther's much discussion as to which one scores better over the others.

Conclusion?
All receiving loads of praise and critisism, albeit the praise wins generally speaking.

April is fast approaching and I want to make the right decision when I come to change IP away from this poxy ao hell contract end.
Will be requiring a good built in blower deal and will even consider selected tv channels of interest too.

Check out which ones are available to your house first....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

Conclusion?

Check out which ones are available to your house first....

Well I know Virgin are most certainly, 'cus i keep getting big slaes letters off them every month telling me so!
Virgin do seem to edge it over Sky from what i can gather, both on price and product. rubschin:

Know very little about BT Infinity.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
Dun'it. eveilgrin:

Good riddance aoHELL from next month. :thumbsup:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
Dun'it. eveilgrin:

Good riddance aoHELL from next month. :thumbsup:

Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
Bit worried about the transition going a bit tits up mind. scared2:

Men coming to dig the garden up and runniong some cables around the place, and then transferring stuff over on the 'puter of course.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
Bit worried about the transition going a bit tits up mind. scared2:

Men coming to dig the garden up and runniong some cables around the place, and then transferring stuff over on the 'puter of course.

It'll be fine!

They even managed to get Nick up and running!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Am I right in thinking that I haven't really  got to save anything onto discs and sticks and things, 'cus most of that sort of stuff is just on the 'puter and not on the broadband side of things?

It's all causing much confuzzlement in me Anna L og tuned 'ed, and this has been the main reason for putting it all off for so long (12 years)

Apparently I can even keep me existing email addy too, which is a great relief. cloud9:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Am I right in thinking that I haven't really  got to save anything onto discs and sticks and things, 'cus most of that sort of stuff is just on the 'puter and not on the broadband side of things?

It's all causing much confuzzlement in me Anna L og tuned 'ed, and this has been the main reason for putting it all off for so long (12 years)

Apparently I can even keep me existing email addy too, which is a great relief. cloud9:

Yes, you are just changing the method of connection to the internet...

Your PC will work the same (but faster) and everything else will remain...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
Spare a though for those bereft of fibre optic, give generously to ByteFam.  This is the plain Engish version of the reply all those providers give the likes of me:

"Piss off you country bumpkin, wet string links for you losers and no hope of it getting wetter"

evil: evil: evil:    [/bitter, twisted and jealous mode]

In theory yes, in practice you can never do too many backups esp if they ask to load some of their software on your puter.

And if your email address has your current providers name anywhere in it then life can get more difficult once you ditch them and at some point will likely be cut off.  Hotmail, Yahoomail and Gmail are very very transferable. 
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
Spare a though for those bereft of fibre optic, give generously to ByteFam.  This is the plain Engish version of the reply all those providers give the likes of me:

"Piss off you country bumpkin, wet string links for you losers and no hope of it getting wetter"

evil: evil: evil:    [/bitter, twisted and jealous mode]

whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »

Yes, you are just changing the method of connection to the internet...

Your PC will work the same (but faster) and everything else will remain...

100 MONSTER bites speed, rising to 120 soon too apparently. confused:

I presume that's fairly quick, seeing as this aoHELL one is only UP to 25 or 30 or summat, but in reality, about 6.

Going to have the Discovery channel on the telly too, so that'll be lots and lots of Bear and out in the wilderness's tv for me then. cloud9:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
And this is with 4 of us all using the same wireless router.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »
Don't even remotely understand all that^^^ stuff tbqatth. noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
If you click on either mine or BM's speed test you'll be able to do your own test on your own 'puter and connection.
Download is the speed that you use to compare what your provider says you get and the actuality.
Upload is always way slower
Ping is speed of response from your provider.
Generally the speed of the PING is considered important but only for gamers etc.
I can usually find download speed of around 15 if the boys and Woodstock aren't soaking up bandwidth .... which is what they are doing this afternoon. One is watching fillums on YouTube, One is doing homework research and Woodstock is preparing lessons for next week and "stealing" ideas from the www.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.