Disgusterous

Author Topic: Holidaying alone  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Holidaying alone
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
He drives a bus? Surely old enough to let him go abroad unhindered then.
The THW will not be 20 until June but she has spent the last two weeks mapping rock formations in the Sierra Nevada and will be doing a three week mapping trip in the Pyrenees over her birthday. FFS you have to let them go sometime!

Of course we are concerned for her safety (it's a risky exercise) but happy to see her doing what she wants to do and learning to be independent at the same time.

I have a son aged 45 and a daughter aged 43 ..... I still worry about them but I certainly don't let them know it.

You just have to trust in your own ability to have brought them up to be sensible and responsible ~ the actions and stupidity of others they may come across are outside of your influence or control. Hang on to their coat tails and they will not thank you for it now or ever..... In fact all you do is drive them away from the claustrophobic atmosphere they will detect in your trying to control them long after they should have flown the nest.

I left home at fifteen and a half and never looked back. My parents were wise enough to let me....... for which I have always been grateful.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
Wouldn't dream of holding him back, I'm just a bit concerned that it's going to be a lonely experience for him, especially as he's talking about going on a package holiday and sitting there poolside, 'Billy No Mates, surrounded by families. redface:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Wouldn't dream of holding him back, I'm just a bit concerned that it's going to be a lonely experience for him, especially as he's talking about going on a package holiday and sitting there poolside, 'Billy No Mates, surrounded by families. redface:

Some form of activity holiday... The Ring for instance...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »

there are a lot of hotels now that where children aren't allowed, also if he goes during term time there shouldn't be many brats around. When is he thinking of going?

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
Also, the time of year determines the type of tourists. October (not half term) birings the best kiind of clientele. No teenage groups or families. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but the quality of people is better then.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
I found the best holidays for a singleton were activity types. For example, I've done a rail tour of India, a week on a yacht off the south coast, a flying experience week based at Sheffield University, even did a couple of dinghy courses. Most of my companions were also on their own. You soon get to know each other.

After the divorce, I took the sprogs on a couple package holidays. Big mistake, they were alright playing in the pool or the sea. Me? I was 'billy no mates' Hated it. Then I discovered a company that catered for single parents. Both the sprogs and I then had ready made companions.

Now the sprogs are older I'm looking again at activity holidays.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
I said that!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
Just reinforcing your argument like.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
Just reinforcing your argument like.

Thanks Uncle!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline Nick

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
FFS the lad is an adult  Banghead. He can go on holiday wherever and whenever he wants  Banghead

Growler is being totally overprotective here and should leave him to it. I went to Paris (alone) aged 15 and then cycled back to Cherbourg. All paid out of my paper round. Can't believe my parents let me go tbqh and I did end up in hospital (malnutrition  redface:) but I had paid for insurance so that was fine.

If you go on holiday alone at that age you can meet other people and take em or leave em. Fab  :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

Offline miss Tchevious

• Senior Moment
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
FFS the lad is an adult  Banghead. He can go on holiday wherever and whenever he wants  Banghead

Growler is being totally overprotective here and should leave him to it. I went to Paris (alone) aged 15 and then cycled back to Cherbourg. All paid out of my paper round. Can't believe my parents let me go tbqh and I did end up in hospital (malnutrition  redface:) but I had paid for insurance so that was fine.

If you go on holiday alone at that age you can meet other people and take em or leave em. Fab  :thumbsup:

I came to cyprus on my own for a short while when I was 19. Best thing I did.