Disgusterous

Author Topic: Being stupid  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Being stupid
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
This is wonderful!  Thumbs:

Quote from: Simon Hills
How infuriating it is being stupid.

I don’t understand global how warming will make sea levels rise, for a start. I remember well my antediluvian physics lessons in which we were told water expands as it freezes. And geography lessons in which we were told that nine tenths of an iceberg was below the water. Why then if ice-bergs are melting will the sea-water not become lower (Especially as more heat would mean more evaporation)?

But my imbecility doesn’t stop there. I wonder why carbon dioxide is the devil when the biggest greenhouse gas is water vapour? Then methane. And carbon dioxide makes up 0.033 per cent of the atmosphere. And man-made CO2 is 0.03 per cent of the total.

And I don’t understand how wind turbines could ever power an industrial nation. I sail a boat. The wind comes, it goes, it blows too hard, it doesn’t blow hard enough. Denmark is covered in wind turbines and hasn’t decommissioned one conventional power station. Remember sailing ships? And how long it took them to sail around the world? And think of an oil-powered cargo ship carrying fifty times the load? So why doesn’t that power discrepancy occur when it comes to creating electricity?

Stupid me. Don’t understand.

I don’t understand why buses are greener than cars. Given they put out thirty-four times the emissions, and given they keep trundling up and down their routes regardless of how many people are on them.

I’m too thick to see why putting a minimum price on alcohol will mean that people won’t just spend more money on alcohol. As they have done with petrol.

Or why a black market won’t develop, as it has with tobacco.
Talking of which, why is it a health benefit to lead people to smoking contraband fags? And encouraging a criminal network to sell cigarettes to minors? Too stupid to see how that works, too.

And definitely too stupid to see how you can keep rueing the fact that pubs and local shops are the glue that keeps society together and at the same time pretty much ensure that they’ll close down in huge numbers now you can’t smoke in the former and the latter won’t be able to display cigarettes. And given that no-one’s buying newspapers any more, I’m not sure exactly what they’ll sell.

I don’t understand why more taxes are going to make us richer, either. If I’m not taxed too heavily, I might fork out £400 for a new sail for my boat. That will help the manufacturer, the retailer, the company that makes the bag that the sail it goes into. And the plastic for the window in the sail. And the manufacturer of the brass eyelets in the sail. And the manufacturer of the numbers. And the adhesive for the numbers.

If that £400 goes to the government, it will go towards more five-a-day co-ordinators.

Don’t understand why we have them, either. In ten years of five-a-day co-ordinators, people have got fatter and fatter. Don’t understand why the government doesn’t give us the money instead and we’ll spend it on what we want – sails. Or pizzas.

I really don’t understand social housing having to be built on new estates. It means cheap housing in expensive areas. Which means housing in cheap areas becomes more expensive. I could be a three-bedroom house for £155,000 in Dagenham and be right on a Tube line. Don’t understand why we should pay for someone to live in Mayfair for the same price. Or who gets to choose who needs the houses.

I don’t understand why Haringey Council has spent £100,000 on an electric car scheme that only one driver has joined.

Don’t understand electric cars, either. They don’t work. And they certainly don’t work if you want a heater, radio and windscreen wipers. Don’t even begin to think about air-con.

Far too stupid to see how it’s right for the taxpayer to pay for full-time union activists. Or why the NHS employees take twice the amount of sick leave of employees in the private sector.

Don’t understand the works for Tracey Emin, Martin Creed or Gillian Wearing. Or why the artist Sam Firth was paid £160 an hour with taxpayers’ money to film herself standing still on Knoydart peninsula on the West coast of Scotland every day and create a video. It was partly funded by ‘Creative Scotland’. Don’t understand Creative Scotland.

Don’t understand why 365 staff at Transport for London are paid more than £100,000 a year.

Don’t understand why child poverty is different to poverty. Don’t understand anyway why it’s calculated as the child’s family earning fifty per cent or less of median income. Child poverty in Monaco must mean being down to having sevety-five Jack Wills outfits, three mini electric Ferraris and only a forty-two-inch TV in your bedroom.

It’s beyond me how you can impose quotas for women without discriminating against men so long as a percentage of women choose to bring up children rather than work. Don’t understand any quotas, really. Such as university quotas for state school children discriminating against private school children. Etc.

And really, why can’t we have exams where the A-Grade that’s the top grade?

But now I have read the curriculum at Key Stage 4 for my daughter’s GCSE subjects.

There is no mention of Kings and Queens in history, calculus in maths or grasping the subjunctive tense or irregular verbs in Languages. Modern language topics do include, however, ‘Media and Culture, and Environment; Current problems facing the planet. Being environmentally friendly within the home and local area.”
No wonder I’m so stupid.

Clicky....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: Being stupid
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
True,,,,,,,,,,, :thumbsup:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
 :thumbsup:  I'm proud to be as thick as him  :thumbsup:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
Electric cars.... bad and wrong.
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »

Quite so...  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:08:21 PM »

Quite so...  Thumbs:

I want my car to make the noises and I join in with it sometimes too.....  ;)    RRRrrrrrruuum  RRRrrrrruuuuuummmm etc.  :thumbsup:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »

Quite so...  Thumbs:

I want my car to make the noises and I join in with it sometimes too.....  ;)    RRRrrrrrruuum  RRRrrrrruuuuuummmm etc.  :thumbsup:

Umm.... yes....  whacky115
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »
Humour me I am running on Cocodamol at the moment.   ... and  evil:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
Humour me I am running on Cocodamol at the moment.   ... and  evil:

scared2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
:thumbsup:  I'm proud to be as thick as him  :thumbsup:

I am with you on this one JOM. :thumbsup:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
A great deal of thickness in here eh?  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: