Disgusterous

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 5217 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Retirement
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Oh yes ~ 'course it helps having a child bride who can werk for another 12 years yet  :thumbsup: NOW THAT'S A TOP TIP!

:thumbsup: Only works if she doesn't walk out  sad32:

Fortunately she left me with my money and pension so I was still able to retire early. I was getting seriously stressed out and then the heart op made me realise that life's too short to be working in job I no longer enjoyed.

Best thing I ever did.

There's hope then.  :thumbsup:

Being content with your 'lot' is the key i reckon.  cloud9:

Trouble is, I'm not content, at all, and exceedingly and uncomfortably restless presently.
Feel like scccccreaming, but not actually sure exactly what particular issue it''s about. Banghead

Feel like a wild Bear locked in a cage is the best description. confused:

Confuzzled.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:36:28 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Oh yes ~ 'course it helps having a child bride who can werk for another 12 years yet  :thumbsup: NOW THAT'S A TOP TIP!

:thumbsup: Only works if she doesn't walk out  sad32:

Fortunately she left me with my money and pension so I was still able to retire early. I was getting seriously stressed out and then the heart op made me realise that life's too short to be working in job I no longer enjoyed.

Best thing I ever did.

I believe we may have played a small part in influencing your decision Uncle...?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
I get access to my final salary index-linked pesnion in 2 years, but I won't be able to afford to retire and don't really want to either
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I get access to my final salary index-linked pesnion in 2 years, but I won't be able to afford to retire and don't really want to either

Same 'ere. :thumbsup:

NOT werking seems alien to me. confused:
Werked all me life, and never claimed a penny from anyone. angel1

Luv being kept bizzy wizzy. cloud9:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Smart^ . 

One other serious point: work doesn't only pay you money, it stops you spending money too as you're too busy to go shopping or eating at tea shops or having an extra week of holiday abroad etc

Could you go part time Growler?  I don't mean only get work part of the time but you actually say you will not work on certain days of the week. 

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Oh noes ..........I like not working .........I always find something to do..........as I had said before twice in my life did not work (through choice)  and never bored .....

Well I am, so p'raps that's just me then? Shrugs:

I can't stand doing nowt. Absolutey frustrates me beyond belief.
I'm an exceedingly restless owld Bear, and I need adventure and excitement in me life, not mundane every day shite wot everyone else seems to enjoy doing for some inexplicable reason. evil:

Not just you Growler - I think a very high percentage of blokes are the same. Especially when you hear of those who croak it 6 months into retirement. Boredom is te biggest killer if you've spent your life "busy"  noooo:

That's just reminded me of one particular instance actually.

Lickle independent arage i diid loads of werk for , back in the mid 90's....long since gone and demolished now sadly. sad24:, and the owner was well into his 80's, AND he had Parkinson's disease.

He kept going thouggh, shuffling about doing his paperwork and generally keeping an eye on business matters.
He was a shrewd ole buzzard, and kept his finger on the pulse.
He used to go to the quacks regulary, and he told me that the quack used to be amazed that he could carry on, and simply put it down to the fact that he was keeping busy and occupied.
He really was a tough old git,albeit quite poorly for many years, but extremelly pleasant to deal with.

He evntually got ripped off by a tosser that he put in charge of the car sales, and ended up having to close the business he'd run for over 60 years, selling Rootes Cars initially. cloud9:

6 months after finally closing the doors, he was dead.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:41:38 PM by GROWLER »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
Smart^ . 

One other serious point: work doesn't only pay you money, it stops you spending money too as you're too busy to go shopping or eating at tea shops or having an extra week of holiday abroad etc

Could you go part time Growler?  I don't mean only get work part of the time but you actually say you will not work on certain days of the week.

Yea, I probably could tbh Stevie lad.
Been looking for a stop gap job, but it seems all the piggin' Poles have taken all the jobs 'round here. Banghead

Just a driving job 3 or 4 days a week would do me, and then if any of 'MY' work comes in, i could do that on the other free days.

BCA are looking for drivers...apparently.
Wages will be the bare minimum, but at least it gets me out and about, which is probably more than half the problem. eveilgrin:

Going to ring them in the morning.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:48:10 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
. . .That's just reminded me of one particular instance actually.

Lickle independent arage i diid loads of werk for , back in the mid 90's....long since gone and demolished now sadly. sad24:, and the owner was well into his 80's, AND he had Parkinson's disease.

He kept going thouggh, shuffling about doing his paperwork and generally keeping an eye on business matters.
He was a shrewd ole buzzard, and kept his finger on the pulse.
He used to go to the quacks regulary, and he told me that the quack used to be amazed that he could carry on, and simply put it down to the fact that he was keeping busy and occupied.
He really was a tough old git,albeit quite poorly for many years, but extremelly pleasant to deal with.

He evntually got ripped off by a tosser that he put in charge of the car sales, and ended up having to close the business he'd run for over 60 years, selling Rootes Cars initially. cloud9:

6 months after finally closing the doors, he was dead.

Sad story

But surely you'd never get bored with all the shite to laugh at here

BTW all the smart advice is to avoid that brown bread in months issue is to retire slowly by cutting your hours more and more.  I never had that option.
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »
Probably the first real job I had was as a result of the top bod retiring and everyone else shuffling up the ladder. I never met him (top bod) but by all accounts he lived for his holidays in Spain. He'd planned his retirement out there and had everything lined up... He collapsed and died within 6 weeks I think it was  eeek:

I have no plans for retirement and if I wish to stay where I live I'll continue werking until Mr Babble and Mr Dribble come a-visiting. I did have pension plans they were royally fvcked up thank you  evil:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=203280383144662" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I will prolly get slated for posting this but hey why not. I haven't had a good slating for ages.
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »
Looks like quite a few of us here don't want to retire.

Perhaps we should get together and start a company doing something? rubschin: Like buying, restoring and selling classic cars / motorbikes  rubschin:

Growler and me can do all the restoring stuff, Snoops can do the books...

...and Nick can do all the PR stuff

happy001 happy001 happy001

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Just back from the pub ....talking to a friend 64 ......he has just bought a chopper-type bike (boy-hood dream) and intends to tour the whole island ,,,,,,, :thumbsup:

another guy 60 plus is taking up bowling ,,,,,,

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=203280383144662" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I will prolly get slated for posting this but hey why not. I haven't had a good slating for ages.

Well that's thouroughly depressed me now, but hey, that's what the truth does sometimes. sad24:

Don't do hiding behind rose tinted glasses. noooo:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:05:36 PM by GROWLER »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Just back from the pub ....talking to a friend 64 ......he has just bought a chopper-type bike (boy-hood dream) and intends to tour the whole island ,,,,,,, :thumbsup:

another guy 60 plus is taking up bowling ,,,,,,

Push bike 'Chopper'?  eeek:

They're werth an absolute fortune now! :thumbsup:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »

Fucking awesome .........and so true ......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: