Disgusterous

Author Topic: A large bang  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
Re: A large bang
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
Lady in the Nissan came round last night with a card and a bottle of whisky.

I hate whisky, but said thank you anyway. Her car is a write off.

You'll be needing a hand then???? What sort of whisky.

Probably Isle of Tesco 6 month old pure malt at a guess.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
You can have it. Famous Grouse. No point asking if it's any good. Can't bear the stuff
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
You can have it. Famous Grouse. No point asking if it's any good. Can't bear the stuff

Aye well aboot 30% o the Famous Grouse is Highland Park Single Malt ~ the rest comes from all over. It is one of the better known and most popular "blends"
We make a point of keeping a bottle or two for those who like their scotch with water or ice (Shudder) because I'm damned if I am going to pay upwards of £35 a bottle for decent malt to see it "added to". I make a point of pouring drinks in another room to where the guests are sat so that Mrs S and I get the malt whilst the peasants who ask for Ginger Ale etc with it get the Famous Grouse. They can't tell the difference anyway but one doesn't wish to appear mean.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:11:11 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
I defer to your greater knowledge of this ghastly Scottish invention

• Fool Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 12:15:15 PM »

Aye well aboot 30% o the Famous Grouse is Highland Park Single Malt ~ the rest comes from all over. It is one of the better known and most popular "blends"
We make a point of keeping a bottle or two for those who like their scotch with water or ice (Shudder) because I'm damned if I am going to pay upwards of ?35 a bottle for decent malt to see it "added to". I make a point of pouring drinks in another room to where the guests are sat so that Mrs S and I get the malt whilst the peasants who ask for Ginger Ale etc with it get the Famous Grouse. They can't tell the difference anyway but one doesn't wish to appear mean.

Reminds me of my Mum that does. She swears she can tell a good whisky from bad.

Now, if I mention that her favourite is Bells you'll see where I'm coming from! I regularly make a habit of buying supermarket blended and putting it in an old Bells bottle I keep for the purpose. Every time she has some she says, "You can't beat Bells you know"

Mind you, she is 99 in couple of months.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 12:15:27 PM »
I would never buy the stuff after that terrible advertising campaign ? who thought of that?  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »

We make a point of keeping a bottle or two for those who like their scotch with water or ice (Shudder) because I'm damned if I am going to pay upwards of ?35 a bottle for decent malt to see it "added to". I make a point of pouring drinks in another room to where the guests are sat so that Mrs S and I get the malt whilst the peasants who ask for Ginger Ale etc with it get the Famous Grouse. They can't tell the difference anyway but one doesn't wish to appear mean.

Now, if I mention that her favourite is Bells you'll see where I'm coming from! I regularly make a habit of buying supermarket blended and putting it in an old Bells bottle I keep for the purpose. Every time she has some she says, "You can't beat Bells you know"

Many years ago I worked in a pub ? I used to laugh at the customers that ordered whiskey and insisted that it was Bells. The landlord filled all the bottles up with Vat 69 after closing as it was the Charringtons brew at the time and cost less.  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
I am sure Berek will find something on YouTube which will enlighten us.

Offline Nick

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »

Many years ago I worked in a pub ? I used to laugh at the customers that ordered whiskey and insisted that it was Bells. The landlord filled all the bottles up with Vat 69 after closing as it was the Charringtons brew at the time and cost less.  point:

I thought you still worked in a pub. Ah, that explains a few things...............

• Fool Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »

With regard to what exactly?

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

With regard to what exactly?

that terrible advertising campaign

Do keep up!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »

Exactly ~ same as the arseholes who ask for a Gin and Schweppes. Firstly why ruin good gin and secondly tonic is tonic 'specially as they always want ice and lemon in it as well. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a G&T but let's not be silly eh?
As for can one tell one whisky from another. Mrs Snoopy grew up in Scotland and went to a Scottish Uni. She can indeed tell which side of the country and often which distillery single malts come from just by taste. Blended whisky is another matter though. Bells, VAT 69, Famous G, Johnny Walker, Sainsbugs own brand ~ all much of a muchness really. Some will be harsher than others is about the biggest difference.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »

Exactly ~ same as the arseholes who ask for a Gin and Schweppes. Firstly why ruin good gin and secondly tonic is tonic 'specially as they always want ice and lemon in it as well. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a G&T but let's not be silly eh?
As for can one tell one whisky from another. Mrs Snoopy grew up in Scotland and went to a Scottish Uni. She can indeed tell which side of the country and often which distillery single malts come from just by taste. Blended whisky is another matter though. Bells, VAT 69, Famous G, Johnny Walker, Sainsbugs own brand ~ all much of a muchness really. Some will be harsher than others is about the biggest difference.
The only problem we ever had was when the dozy old bugger topped-up the brandy bottle with lime cordial. We had to explain to everybody that it was a ?special blend? but they didn?t seem to mind the taste.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: