Author Topic: Bulbs  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Bulbs
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »
Exasperating  evil:

Bayonet or screw cap, 60W, 100W, different size threads, energy saving, pearl or clear? And as for those fiddling pin halogen widgets that fit under the kitchen cupboards and of course aren't the same size as the one for the desk lamp - which has just blown and there's no spare to be found, anywhere  ::)

Uplighters, downlighters; I bought a couple of bulbs from Tesco recently - own brand - made somewhere in the European Union. Must be in one of the darker recesses of the EU because both bulbs blew within 2 hours  ::)

Can one revert to gas? The warm friendly hiss and glow of the mantle that I remember from childhood. Ahh, yes. Except that we're not on the gas  cussing:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:15:36 PM »
May I suggest

Candles aren't just for Birthdays you know  ;D
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
Yes, I know, I know. And there is a stash of them... night lights, fragranced, scented, Christmas  redface:, and good old plain utilitiarian for the power cut - when it happens.

An earlier Madame Pastis had a predilection for nightlights surrounding the bath  eyes:. Until one fell in and spattered hot wax where she was least expecting it  rubschin:

This desire then escalated to dimmer switches controlling the downlighter spots  eeek: . A jobsworth energy assessment technician ( ::)) subsequently informed me that dimmer switches wouldn't reduce consumption (sic)  ::).

As if that were the point...  eeek:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:32:31 PM »
Paraffin, that sorts it, trust me. And some rags cry:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Mr Happy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »
Pastis be warned.  Some of those oscilating devices you use will actually appear still under energy saving bulbs.  May cause injury!

Berek

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:36:54 AM »
we are mostly using low energy ones, 39p in ASDA , shows what sort of profit there is in them when they used to sell for ?10.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »
we are mostly using low energy ones, 39p in ASDA , shows what sort of profit there is in them when they used to sell for ?10.

I've told this story before in "another place" but it stands repeating here. Some years ago I agreed to answer a "survey (AKA a sales device) on energy conservation" conducted by British Gas. They gave me four free low energy bulbs (you'll remember the huge things like mini neon tubes that they were at first) as a gesture of thanks. Of course I got the obligatory follow up sales calls but they stopped after I told the callers that there is no gas in this village so they stood no chance of getting me to sign up. Every six months or so since then British Gas have sent me four free low energy bulbs. The year before last I (as key holder of the village hall which is opposite my house) I opened up one morning for a Help the Aged promo that was touring villages to promote energy efficiency to the elderly. This group were giving away 4 low energy bulbs to anyone who completed their form for an energy survey. At the end of the day I went across to see them off the premises and lock up. As you do, I enquired of the earnest young lady running the show if they had enjoyed a good response and she replied in the negative. Well said I, if it's any help I'll fill out a form whilst you pack your stuff away. She gave me four free low energy bulbs. Bugger me if 6 months later I didn't get another four from the sponsors of the Help the Aged initiative (Norweb or somebody like that). They too have continued to send me four low energy bulbs every six months. So I now get 16 of these bulbs every year. The latest batch arrived a couple of weeks ago. I have used them wherever they are suitable in the house (I have to say they don't actually seem to last very much longer than "normal" bulbs) and I have supplied sundry In Laws, Married Daughters etc with bulbs as well.
How much longer this will go on I do not know but who am I to complain?
 We have enough bulbs to last several years........ 39p in ASDA Pah! I need them not. lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
Low energy bulbs only really make sense in applications where they can be left on for long periods. Otherwise they break quickly if being switched on and off repeatedly and also take some time to produce their full light output.

Mind you, if they are free?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
Low energy bulbs only really make sense in applications where they can be left on for long periods. Otherwise they break quickly if being switched on and off repeatedly and also take some time to produce their full light output.

Mind you, if they are free?

My thoughts exactly.
The one in the loo which tends to stay on all night or little boys "miss" the target has lasted for three years and show no signs of giving up (pauses and awaits distant "PING") but the others last on average about 12 to 16 weeks. Yes they do go on and off as we walk about the house. My upbringing will not allow me to leave a light on in an unoccupied room. noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »
Did it ping?  scared2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »
Lucky you - very brave tempting fate in that way...

I was going to give you a longevity of bulbs story but have decided that it?s not worth the risk?  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Misunderstood

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:44 AM »
Grandma loved watching telly.  One day she rang us and said it no longer worked,  I went to investigate and learned it only malfunctioned at night.  Odd!

Then I noticed she had been kitted out with low-energy bulbs.  Apparently they interfere with remote control signals and when tested proved true, when the bulb was on the RC didn't work.

I told her she would have to put the old bulb back but she preferred to switch the light off to change channels and things.   confused:

The argument about getting up to switch off the light may as well be for changing the TV channel did not succeed in getting through.   Banghead

Come to think about it she used to keep getting up to reset the thermostat from Min to Max all the time too, said the house was always either too hot or too cold.   surrender:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »
Exasperating  evil:

Bayonet or screw cap, 60W, 100W, different size threads, energy saving, pearl or clear? And as for those fiddling pin halogen widgets that fit under the kitchen cupboards and of course aren't the same size as the one for the desk lamp - which has just blown and there's no spare to be found, anywhere  ::)

Uplighters, downlighters; I bought a couple of bulbs from Tesco recently - own brand - made somewhere in the European Union. Must be in one of the darker recesses of the EU because both bulbs blew within 2 hours  ::)

Can one revert to gas? The warm friendly hiss and glow of the mantle that I remember from childhood. Ahh, yes. Except that we're not on the gas  cussing:

Hell that takes me back a good few years mate..

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »
Hell that takes me back a good few years mate..

Dare I assume you're referring to the hiss and warm friendly glow of the mantle? I remember them from holiday guest houses and caravans in the fifties... and the street lamp on the corner  redface:

How the world turns eh?  I have today managed to purchase a 12V 50W Halogen bulb for the princely sum of ?1.99 (eeek:) and, with the help of micro posidrive screwdrivers, magnifying glass and tissues to clean the bulb, have the desk lamp back, up and running.  cloud9: