Disgusterous

Author Topic: Bedroom tax  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Bedroom tax
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
I make no apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I want to get this seen by as many people as possible.....

http://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/we-could-stop-bedroom-tax-if-we-chose.html
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: Bedroom tax
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline boogs

• Power Poster
You only get one chance at this life so make the most of it .

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Bedroom tax .................blokes have been paying this for years,........ noooo:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
TBH I can see no real cause for complaint about this so called tax ..... as long as the implementation is sensible and therein lies the problem. Can we trust the Government to implement anything sensibly?

People with too many bedrooms for their needs, as defined by whatever legislation eventually comes, have a choice and as long as there is an appeal system, with independent adjudication, then it makes a lot of sense. After all I have four bedrooms and frankly could make do with two as the boys could share, as I did with my brother, and the daughter is now only here for a few weeks each year. But I like having this many rooms, until it comes to cleaning that is. Anyway I have to pay my council tax on the value of the property with its 4 bedrooms, two of which would be deemed as surplus were it a local authority or social housing so why shouldn't others? AND let's not forget that here in Wales we were all revalued four years ago whereas in England the revaluation of properties was abandoned so our council tax is higher anyway.

So who needs an extra bedroom? I would hope that any appeal panel would see that even a pensioner with children who visit regularly or a single parent with access rights would have an obvious need to be able to accommodate their visitors. After all when access arguments go to court one consideration is the suitability of the accommodation that the parent is able to offer his/her visiting children and it would be plain wrong that such people would be denied their parental rights because the children had no bedroom ..... and that has been used as a reason to deny residential access to some in the past.

And where should those dispossessed move to? Until there is sufficient housing of suitable size then simply asking them to pay for their spare room is also wrong but if a sensible choice is offered then it becomes a different matter ...... So we need more social housing to be built. Get that right Mr Duncan - Smith and we can think about your plans .... until then you have no chance.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »
On my travels around the country I see loads of new developments, often on green field sites of 3 and more storeys of flats/appartments.  These mostly appear to be empty and up for sale.  Look on the net and they are usually being offered for sale as 25% shared ownership.  They are usually, in my opinion, badly designed and do not fit with the location they are in.  I did last year sometime pass through the Cotswolds and think I was somewhere on the A5 or near it where I saw one of these such developments, miles from anywhere and with almost every window broken.   noooo:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »
I hate to be the one to dampen a grump BUT:

The "bedroom tax" is NOT a tax!

It's a reduction in housing BENEFIT for anyone in receipt who's occupying a house with redundant bedrooms!

If you are not in receipt of HOUSING BENEFIT it is irrelevant to you!

This is media hype (left wing BBC) of the worst type.

Rant over . . .
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »

It's a reduction in housing BENEFIT for anyone in receipt who's occupying a house with redundant bedrooms!

Rant over . . .
You are not alone in that view, makes me mad too

And I agree with Snoopy's post too

IMHO there's nothing wrong in principle with stopping paying benefit for spare rooms but jeez has the gubberment got some details wrong and then the opposition has just opposed it in principle and done very little to oppose and help refine the details

Result: a lot of people are going to get hurt, the gubberment is going to lose out in popularityand the opposition will be left with a mahoosive dilemma when they ave to write their next manifesto.

Not exactly politics at its best. 

[/serious mode]

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »

Rant over . . .
You are not alone in that view, makes me mad too

And I agree with Snoopy's post too

IMHO there's nothing wrong in principle with stopping paying benefit for spare rooms but jeez has the gubberment got some details wrong and then the opposition has just opposed it in principle and done very little to oppose and help refine the details

Result: a lot of people are going to get hurt, the gubberment is going to lose out in popularityand the opposition will be left with a mahoosive dilemma when they ave to write their next manifesto.

Not exactly politics at its best. 

[/serious mode]

Agree with both...

How much betterer it would have been to have stopped foreign aid until the election eh...?

An instant win with the population at large... an instant win on the bank balance too... Looking after our own people first, etc.

Oppose that labour if you dare...

But no, CallMeDave couldn't do that could he...? Much better to increase the money we spunk away abroad while trying to chip a few million away in housing benefit...::)

What a complete, utter cunt the man is....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »
. . .How much betterer it would have been to have stopped foreign aid until the election eh...?

An instant win with the population at large... an instant win on the bank balance too... Looking after our own people first, etc.

But no, CallMeDave couldn't do that could he...? Much better to increase the money we spunk away abroad while trying to chip a few million away in housing benefit...::)

Actually I think he's a decent guy in a party and front bench stuffed with feckwits and outright nasties

That whole foreign aid discussion is difficult but the size of it is often exagerated

I wouldn't zero it

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
. . .How much betterer it would have been to have stopped foreign aid until the election eh...?

Actually I think he's a decent guy in a party and front bench stuffed with feckwits and outright nasties

That whole foreign aid discussion is difficult but the size of it is often exagerated

I wouldn't zero it

Isn't it £10B per year?

It is a no-brainer - stop it now for five years and spend the money at home where it is needed...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
Even if it's a million .........stop it ........ noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
£6.8B economic aid and £3.2B foreign military aid

Some of it wasted no doubt and some helps us manage variables in the world we have to trade in.

Simple answers do not work in a complex world

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
£6.8B economic aid and £3.2B foreign military aid

Some of it wasted no doubt and some helps us manage variables in the world we have to trade in.

Simple answers do not work in a complex world

I don't doubt that there is some benefit to it...

But the UK has a huge deficit - it has to borrow the money in order to spunk it away around the world...

That really cannot make any sense at all...
Pro Skub  Thumbs: