Author Topic: Gizmo battery chargers  (Read 13579 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Gizmo battery chargers
« on: August 18, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
I'm taking the opportunity whilst it's lashing down...yet again...to do a bit of office sorting.
I seem to have a rather large abundance of these bulky mains adaptor battery charger things.
Haven't got a clue what half of them are for, and wonder if I should turf them out tbh, as they take up so much space.
Be just my luck if I did that, that I'd come across some long forgotten gizmo  that requires binned adaptor.
If the plug hole thingy at the end of the cable fits the gizmo though, is it ok to use it, or are they all differnt ratings and stuff, with the likelyhood of blowing the place up, Nick style? rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Gizmo battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
If your appliance works off 9v and you plug in a 6v (output) adapter probably nothing bad will happen, in fact nothing will happen as the appliance will not work. However if you plug a 9volt (output) adapter into a 6volt appliance  ~ you can throw both away as you will probably have burned out the appliance and buggered the internals of the sealed adapter.

The size of the bang will, of course, depend entirely on two factors:
(i) The output of the adapter relative to the input required by the appliance
AND
(ii) The proximity of Nick at the time you plug it in.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks for that 'our resident electrical gizmo' expert. ;)

Isn't there a product available that does the one job of charging ANYTHING gizmoee, that you can p'raps change the input and size of the hole in the end of the cabely type thingy then, cus if there isn't, there damned well should be.
I'm drowning in a sea of adaptors here. eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks for that 'our resident electrical gizmo' expert. ;)

Isn't there a product available that does the one job of charging ANYTHING gizmoee, that you can p'raps change the input and size of the hole in the end of the cabely type thingy then, cus if there isn't, there damned well should be.
I'm drowning in a sea of adaptors here. eeek:

Yes there is ~ they are not cheap whereas all those you have got arrived FREE with whichever appliance they belong to.
The second problem with the one size fits all is that you have only one and then you want to run two appliances at once so you have to buy another
The third problem is that you have a third appliance that you would really like to use at the same time as the other two and so you have to buy another one
The fourth problem is ....................... Well I'm sure you get the picture.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
Oh good. I'll have a sniff on t'internet then. happy088

I'll keep the ones that I currently use for both mine and Mrs GROWLERS mobby blowers then, but bin the rest with gay abandon.

Our phones have the same bloody input/output, as most mobbys do i think, but the size of the holey sticky in the back of the phone on the end of the cable thingy, are two different orifice sizes, and as such, cannot be used on the same phone ffs. eeek:
WHY!? evil:

Discovered several in car chargers now too.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:24:56 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
I caught Mrs Nick trying to charge her Black and Decker drill with a mobile phone charger. Trouble is we have loads of those chargey things now and they all look the same. We even have chargers for appliances that no longer exist noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »
Every home has a box of cables and stuff. It is a law of nature.
I tried marking each Gizmo and appropriate charger using typex but then the kids scraped the typex off evil:

I refer the Honourable Members to: http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=POWER%20MULTI%20ADAPTERS

But you will note that even this is not the final solution as every gizmo has a different connection. This is, of course, a deliberate ploy on the part of the manufacturers but you can buy the charger unit and add suitable connectors via this site. Then all you have to do is work out why you bought which connector and which is the correct setting for each gizmo. ::)

This one would seem to answer most needs but remember what I said ~ it can only charge one gizmo at a time Variable Voltage 1000mA AC/DC Unregulated Mains Adaptor    £13
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:23:17 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
If the plug hole thingy at the end of the cable fits the gizmo though, is it ok to use it, or are they all differnt ratings and stuff, with the likelyhood of blowing the place up, Nick style? rubschin:

Been there, done that. When I was a kid I didnt realise that plugging an acorn power pack in the back of a ZX Spectrum would create a pretty light show  redface:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »
Mrs Nick forgot once (and once only) that her US purchased radio cassette player ran on either batteries or 110v. Batteries ran out and she plugged it in to the mains.

The smoke!! point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
Bring back steam I say. Problems solved.
Quink and quill too come to think of it, and p'raps dragging the missus around by her hair in one hand, club in t'other. happy088

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »
Bring back steam I say. Problems solved.
Quink and quill too come to think of it, and p'raps dragging the missus around by her hair in one hand, club in t'other. happy088

rubschin: That should sort the pikeys

Sour Puss

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »
I tried marking each Gizmo and appropriate charger using typex but then the kids scraped the typex off evil:

Figure out what it is for and mark the item with a stick on label, cut to size, one label can do a number of these things and then you chuck them all in the correct box of cables.  ::)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »

Figure out what it is for and mark the item with a stick on label, cut to size, one label can do a number of these things and then you chuck them all in the correct box of cables.  ::)

That is what I tried before the typex. These things get hot in use and the glue on the sticky labels fails to adhere.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »
This reminds me of when my "dear departed" Dad decided to get a mobile phone... in his 80's.
Realising his memory was not what it used to be he put a sticky label on the phone and wrote the number on it.

On hearing the news I thought to give him a call and see how it was working out. It went something like this:

Me: Hello Dad, how's the phone then?
<< PAUSE >>
Dad: Hello?
Me: Hi, Dad, it's me!
<< PAUSE >>
Mum (in background): Who is it, then?
Dad: Don't know. They're not answering...
<< PAUSE >>
Me: DAD! IT'S YOUR SON !!
Mum: Oh, for goodness sake!
Dad: Perhaps it's one of those nuisance callers?  confused:
Me: DAD... WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
Mum: Are they not speaking?
Dad: No. Can't hear a bloody thing. Bloody pranksters.
Me: DAD. PUT MUM ON THE PHONE!
Dad: Oh sod it. How d'you shut it orf?
Me: Dad?  confused:

click......... brrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I went to see them at the weekend, as I used to do. You can guess where he'd placed the sticky note with his number on it? Yep. Right over the ear piece.  ::) Poor old boy.
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »

That is what I tried before the typex. These things get hot in use and the glue on the sticky labels fails to adhere.

You can buy pens that write on them. We have gold and silver ones at work. No need for glue and neater than tipex.