Author Topic: Ex Military...  (Read 1776 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Ex Military...
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
One of the features of living in Cyprus is that there are lots of ex-military personnel here. Many of them of course served their time in Cyprus and it was only natural for them to come back here when they retired...

I also shoot clays on the British base and have been privileged to meet many ex-soldiers (and serving soldiers just returned from Afghan) there...

One bizarre thing tho is that every single ex-soldier you meet here was in "Special Forces"...  rubschin: I've never meet anybody that claimed to have served their time peeling spuds, driving a tank or just running around with a gun - like you would imagine most normal soldiers do... Perhaps normal squaddies just don't like Cyprus...?

There was a guy in the village that died recently... He was ex army and of course in "Special Forces". it was well known that he was the only survivor of the helicopter accident in The Falklands that killed all of the other SAS people on the aircraft and left him with terrible injuries...

I'd mentioned just recently that I was somewhat sceptical of his claims given all of the other "Special Forces" guys I've met since I came here...

Anyhoo... after he died a collection was held to repatriate his body to the UK. Apparently the SAS had already given a large donation because of the high esteem in which he was held...

You can see where this is going can't you readers...?  whistle:

Today the Residents Association distributes a letter from the executor of his will...

Many of you, who knew XXXXXX, as he was affectionately known in Cyprus, believed he was a SAS war hero from the Falkands war from April 1982 and he sustained his substantial physical injuries as a result of him being involved in a helicopter crash during that campaign.
It is only right you are all aware of the true situation which has now come to light as it is strongly felt that to raise these funds under the belief that you are supporting a war hero would be tantamount to fraud. It is with great sadness that, as UK executor of XXXXXX’s will, I have to tell you XXXXXX, did not go to the Falklands.  He did not suffer horrendous injuries in a helicopter crash with the SAS; He did serve in the army for a number of years.  He sustained his injuries in a car crash which ultimately led to his medical discharge from the forces on a military war/disability pension.

eveilgrin:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
Re: Ex Military...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »
 lol: lol: lol:

We get it all the time in Paphos.  noooo:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
I always thought that SAS must be a huge regiment.... ;D

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »
I always thought that SAS must be a huge regiment.... ;D

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Maybe you confused him with a London gangster who used to knock about with the Krays......coz there seems alot of them too....... rubschin:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:12 PM »
It is not unusual.
We had a character in the village who purported to be a retired Major who did his time with the Paras in Ulster. He dressed like the Major in Fawlty towers and always checked under his car before leaving the pub, because he was still on an "IRA hit list".

After his funeral, one of his old chums who turned up, revealed that he had actually been a sergeant in the Catering Corps and for most of his time had run the apprentices canteen at Catterick.  whistle:
I mostly despair

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »
Maybe you confused him with a London gangster who used to knock about with the Krays......coz there seems alot of them too....... rubschin:

Oh yes, there are loads of those too!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
It is not unusual.
We had a character in the village who purported to be a retired Major who did his time with the Paras in Ulster. He dressed like the Major in Fawlty towers and always checked under his car before leaving the pub, because he was still on an "IRA hit list".

After his funeral, one of his old chums who turned up, revealed that he had actually been a sergeant in the Catering Corps and for most of his time had run the apprentices canteen at Catterick.  whistle:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »
It is not unusual.

lol:

They're nearly all the piggin' same. EX Army, Navy, RAF, firemen, rozzers.

I know a few from each, and they talk immense amounts of bullshit about their exploits generally speaking.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:33:26 PM by GROWLER »

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
Bloody hell, Hampshire's full of the SAS and Kray connected people, they always tell you of their connection, but then it's "don't like to talk about it"    ... just as well I wasn't gonna ask then  Wankah:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Bloody hell, Hampshire's full of the SAS and Kray connected people, they always tell you of their connection, but then it's "don't like to talk about it"    ... just as well I wasn't gonna ask then  Wankah:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
If you talk to ex-squaddies and they tell you they were attached to the Catering Corp or REME...or had very insignificant roles...then they are prolly 22 or 14 men (or women)

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »
Have a look at this site and some of the comments.  happy001

waltermittyhunt.com

There are loads I could point in their direction.  lol: lol: lol:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Have a look at this site and some of the comments.  happy001

waltermittyhunt.com

There are loads I could point in their direction.  lol: lol: lol:

Asks for a user name and password...  evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »
I got in straight away through google, possibly I missed something in the title.  rubschin: