Author Topic: Mrs G gubbs this thing  (Read 11118 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Mrs G gubbs this thing
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Growler, download "Malwarebytes" and "Spybot search and destroy", update and use them often  :thumbsup:

Got Malware.
Wouldn't let me do it yesterday morning. Asking me for passwerds. Shrugs:

After it had seemingly fixed itself during the day, it allowed me to do a FULL and monster sweep last night on disc drives A B C and D ....i think.
Took 3.5 hours, swept 300,000 files and found absolutley nowt. eeek:

Turned this thing on this morning anyway, fully expecting it to have re-goosed itself overnight again, but no, it's just fine. rubschin:

Most weird the way it was changing the date back to November 2003.

Hate it.
Too moody petulant changeable and unreliable.

Woz'at remind you of ey? whistle:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
Buy a boy computer next time  :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »
This gubberation continues. However, I've sort of discovered what's up with it, and most pleasingly, I can fix it, but it has to be fixed every day which is what's cinfuzzling me. rubschin:

I turn the power off to this thing every night, which I've always done.
Flick it back on in the morniing, and the date in the bottom rh corner has always now reset itself to a date back in November 2003....possibly the date this thing was made?
If I don't reset it, the trouble as mentioned initially on this thread, kicks in, and will continue to play up (no access to emails, strange messages etc,) until I both reset the date and switch off and back on again.
Once that's done, evrything runs tickety boo.

Shrugs:

No response from Nick required thank you. whistle:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:17:38 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »
This gubberation continues. However, I've sort of discovered what's up with it, and most pleasingly, I can fix it, but it has to be fixed every day which is what's cinfuzzling me. rubschin:

Flick it back on in the morniing, and the date in the bottom rh corner has always now reset itself to a date back in November 2003....possibly the date this thing was made?
If I don't reset it, the trouble as mentioned initially on this thread, kicks in, and will continue to play up (no access to emails, strange messages etc,) until I both reset the date and switch off and back on again.

Shrugs:

It is the battery on the motherboard that powers the clock...

Need to replace it - fortunately they are analogue so you shouldn't have any problems like...  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »

Shrugs:

Need to replace it - fortunately they are analogue so you shouldn't have any problems like...  Thumbs:

I think you might possibly be taking the piss here, mmmmm rubschin:

The main box thingy wotsit, with all its associated gubbins is powerd by mains witch craftery.

If I leave this thing switched on after midnight, it doesn't seem to be resetting itself back to Nov. 2003.

All most mysterious. confused:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
TEL'S 'ere!! cloud9:

The name of sense and reasoning,  cloud9: and he NEVER takes the piss out of me either. noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »

Shrugs:

I think you might possibly be taking the piss here, mmmmm rubschin:

The main box thingy wotsit, with all its associated gubbins is powerd by mains witch craftery.

If I leave this thing switched on after midnight, it doesn't seem to be resetting itself back to Nov. 2003.

All most mysterious. confused:

How to Replace the BIOS Battery

::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
 Banghead
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »
Furry oaf....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
Tis battery as BM said. Supplies power so that unit remembers its setiings, date/time, etc. These days they normally outlast the use of the PC. Usually a round device like an over-size watch battery but can vary.

In the early days they were soldered in! Try changing one of those without frying things.  cloud9:

RTFM

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
Banghead

I SAID, you gormless useless tool, that NO reply was required from you.

Do you need new galsses ir summat, tosser. Banghead

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
Tis battery as BM said. Supplies power so that unit remembers its setiings, date/time, etc. These days they normally outlast the use of the PC. Usually a round device like an over-size watch battery but can vary.

In the early days they were soldered in! Try changing one of those without frying things.  cloud9:

In that case, I ajopolise to BM. redface:

I'm just SSSSSSSSSSSO used to having the piss taken out of me though, so I'm sure you can understand my doubts sometimes on these 'digi'  sick2: matters.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »

I Thank You!

I accept your apology growler - you clueless furry oaf!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »

I'm just SSSSSSSSSSSO used to having the piss taken out of me though, so I'm sure you can understand my doubts sometimes on these 'digi'  sick2: matters.

I can't actually remember the last time I changed one of these.

RTFM

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »

I can't actually remember the last time I changed one of these.

The 'puter is actually over ten years old now though in fairness.

My 'man'...who I now feel should have recognised this fault.....is amazed at its longevity, but sez I'll have to replace it within the next few years, as Windows won't be supporting XP after April 2014 thus leaving this thing open for attack. scared2:

It's memory thingy wotsit inside, isn't big enough to support this new fangled Windows 8 apparently. sad32: