Author Topic: TG gets his Jollies.  (Read 5833 times)

Misunderstood

Re: TG gets his Jollies.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »
If Wales was flat - it would be bigger than England.    rubschin:

If Wales were flat it would be part of England.

To be fair, they gave it their best shot; they were nicking it bit by bit,  but ultimately they had to give Monmouthshire back.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »
OK. I have been down the pit.

It is not for the dainty or the clostrepopic  clausterphop clous people who are scared of tight spaces but it is a remarkable experience and I reccomend any of you that get down this way to give it a go. The above ground museum is excellent as well.

And its free!

Ms Galore I owe you a pint!

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Sour Puss

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »
OK. I have been down the pit.

It is not for the dainty or the clostrepopic  clausterphop clous people who are scared of tight spaces but it is a remarkable experience and I reccomend any of you that get down this way to give it a go. The above ground museum is excellent as well.

And its free!

Ms Galore I owe you a pint!

Make it a Guinness and you are on.  lol:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »

Above is a picture of a welsh hill. This was pretty much the view from the back door of where we were staying. I post this not to expose the poor quality of my digital photographic skills or my inferior photographic equipment.

I post it to show you a blighted landscape.

I speak not of disused coal mines and the overgrown slag heaps that are visible throughout this part of the world, nor of communities devasted by the shutdown of the coal industry. After all the slag heaps are blending into the landscape and everywhere i went I could see the signs of economuic re-generation. I mean there are building sites everywhere!

If you look halfway up the photograph and a little to the right you can see a crucifix.

A humoungous, mahoosive bastard great cross.

It must have taken a lot of effort to make that. A LOT of effort.

I am told the church had a lot of power in this part of the world. But, thankfully I could see a lot of 'chapels' derelict or up for sale. Hopefully, soon, some one with more stamina than me will get up that hill and restore the landscape.

Misunderstood

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
That would be the infamous Clydach Vale up there then?  The only people that HAVE to go to Tonypandy.

Depressing innit?

But the bright side is, it gives the valleys girls a shapely leg and plenty of energy.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
Oooh. Off to foreign parts again. Booked a cottage at the village below for four days just after Xmas. I loathe new years eve so I will be spending it here with Mrs TG and a wheelbarrow full of white lightening.  cloud9:

http://www.pandyweb.freeserve.co.uk/

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Good for you TG ~ get away from family and friends for the "festivities" and do what you want to do. Can't fault the idea.  cloud9:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 12:52:59 PM »
In recent years Cromford has lost some of its long standing traditions and familiar landmarks have changed.
The Carnival and fair are no longer held.
The Cromford Steam Rally, originally held on Cromford Meadows, now takes place at Brackenfield, although still retaining its name.
The Masson Mill in Matlock Bath, which provided employment for many Cromford people, closed and is now a shopping village and museum.
The Blacksmith's shop on the Market Place re-opened in 1999 as three separate units - a beauty salon, an osteopathy centre, and a Chinese grocery and takeaway.
Howards Bakery closed on March 31st 2006, and there are plans for conversion to shops and flats.
Cromford Mill was last in use as a Colour Works, but is now a Visitor Centre owned and run by the Arkwright Society, with a variety of shops and businesses occupying the old buildings.
The growing volume of traffic and increasing number of accidents on the A6 led to the installation of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings at the Crossroads. Road markings and speed restrictions have helped to bring the accident rate down.

That sounds like so many villages in the UK.  cry:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »
In recent years Cromford has lost some of its long standing traditions and familiar landmarks have changed.
The Carnival and fair are no longer held.
The Cromford Steam Rally, originally held on Cromford Meadows, now takes place at Brackenfield, although still retaining its name.
The Masson Mill in Matlock Bath, which provided employment for many Cromford people, closed and is now a shopping village and museum.
The Blacksmith's shop on the Market Place re-opened in 1999 as three separate units - a beauty salon, an osteopathy centre, and a Chinese grocery and takeaway.
Howards Bakery closed on March 31st 2006, and there are plans for conversion to shops and flats.
Cromford Mill was last in use as a Colour Works, but is now a Visitor Centre owned and run by the Arkwright Society, with a variety of shops and businesses occupying the old buildings.
The growing volume of traffic and increasing number of accidents on the A6 led to the installation of traffic lights and pedestrian crossings at the Crossroads. Road markings and speed restrictions have helped to bring the accident rate down.

That sounds like so many villages in the UK.  cry:

Christ almighty unc! I'm losinng the will to live again and I aint got there yet.  sad24:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »
Well, this time next week I should be in south Wales. No internet this time so i will be unable to post any shite.

Only four more days of work.  cloud9:

Gawd, I'm looking forward to a break!

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
The wilds of Yorkshire beckon.

On the 23rd of this cold dull month me & Mrs TG are off to York for Xmas. A small but well appointed flat in the shadow of York Minster until the 27th.

Just the two of us ( scared2:).

Its been a difficult year and I am really looking forward to this break.

Midnight carol service at the Minster, Great pubs, history all around, northerners to sneer at, what more could a body ask for?

And, it has WiFi so we still be able to post shite in here!  happy088

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
Sounds great ~ enjoy!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »
Mrs S#2's First Husband's Godfather was Archbishop of York

I've only been there once ~ for the races you know ~ long story, not relevant and very boring. It rained a lot
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »
Mrs S#2's First Husband's Godfather was Archbishop of York. . .
. . . who danced with the Prince of Wales.
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »
I feel a song coming on
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile