Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Elfin Safety Thread  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: The All New Elfin Safety Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
Pippies :thumbsup:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
There is a kiddies play park just up the road from here...

When developers build a project they have to give 20% of the land back to the village... It is called the 'green area'....

Theoretically, the village maintains it, in reality they never do...  noooo:

So it either just grows weeds and has stuff dumped on it or the developer can do something with it to keep the place looking nice...

Some just put a path through and a couple of benches and lights but more popular is to turn it into a little play park... Although why anybody would want to have a play park next to their luxury villa is completely beyond me....

Anyhooo... just up the road is this little play park built in the 'green area' between two houses...

They put in some paths and planted trees... It has swings, a slide and a see-saw.... and a precipitous drop over the edge of the cliff with no barrier! happy001

I'll take some pictures tomorrer...

There is another just round the corner, lights, benches, swings and slide.... they've planted Oleander all around that one which as some of you may know is highly poisonous!
  eeek:  and  eeek: and an all round  Banghead

Is that Cyprus' version of population control?

You'll be amazed when you see the pictures!  lol:

But as far as I am aware, nobody has fallen off it or been poisoned by Oleander....  noooo:

Perhaps there is a case to be made for educating children about the dangers rather than protecting them from it...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

When developers build a project they have to give 20% of the land back to the village... It is called the 'green area'....

So it either just grows weeds and has stuff dumped on it or the developer can do something with it to keep the place looking nice...

Some just put a path through and a couple of benches and lights but more popular is to turn it into a little play park... Although why anybody would want to have a play park next to their luxury villa is completely beyond me....

Anyhooo... just up the road is this little play park built in the 'green area' between two houses...

They put in some paths and planted trees... It has swings, a slide and a see-saw.... and a precipitous drop over the edge of the cliff with no barrier! happy001

There is another just round the corner, lights, benches, swings and slide.... they've planted Oleander all around that one which as some of you may know is highly poisonous!

But as far as I am aware, nobody has fallen off it or been poisoned by Oleander....  noooo:

Perhaps there is a case to be made for educating children about the dangers rather than protecting them from it...?

Thumbs: Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

Yes

You must have had that frustrating experience of having to stop for US school buses.  I've always had this thought that once little Walt Wankerthrob III gets to be 16 he sets off for his first Greyhound bus ride, arrives in town, gets off the bus and walks straight under an 18 wheeler that he thought would stop like they always did
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Nick

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
 eveilgrin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

Yes

You must have had that frustrating experience of having to stop for US school buses.  I've always had this thought that once little Walt Wankerthrob III gets to be 16 he sets off for his first Greyhound bus ride, arrives in town, gets off the bus and walks straight under an 18 wheeler that he thought would stop like they always did

Indeed...  lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »

Thumbs: Thumbs:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
About ten minutes before the show started I made a comment about how amazing it was that the village people (yes, YMCA, etc. ::)) had managed to build the place all those years ago and it hadn't fallen down, sprung a leak etc....

Just then the power went off - pitch black the place was, not a single emergency light or illuminated 'Exit' sign in the whole place! happy001

BM is the voice of DOOM, not even Nick has that ability...  eeek:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 05:37:24 AM »
About ten minutes before the show started I made a comment about how amazing it was that the village people (yes, YMCA, etc. ::)) had managed to build the place all those years ago and it hadn't fallen down, sprung a leak etc....

Just then the power went off - pitch black the place was, not a single emergency light or illuminated 'Exit' sign in the whole place! happy001

BM is the voice of DOOM, not even Nick has that ability...  eeek:

Well, now that you mention that....  rubschin:

I was shooting (clays) with the guy that I made that comment to in the afternoon...

One of the targets was dead easy.... it came right towards you and hung in the air just waiting to be smoked....

The guy I was with said "this is one of those targets that makes you feel good about yourself as you can always hit it..."

And I said, "until one of those bizarre occasions when you miss it time and time again but can't work out why...."

How we larfed!  lol:

So he stood up at the stand, loaded and missed it... and missed it... and missed it... and missed it!  noooo:

Me >>> happy001

Him >>>  Banghead

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 05:39:51 AM »
Note to self: If I ever have to end up on a plane with BM remember to gag him.  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »
Note to self: If I ever have to end up on a plane with BM remember to gag him.  rubschin:

Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
Just walked the dog (NAE) up to the play area...

View from the road...

They covered large areas with gravel and sand - it all blew away the day after they finished it... you will see the site is quite exposed...

The trees didn't fare too well either - they need to be tied to 6 feet of rebar - not a bit of bamboo...

The view over the edge....

Not a huge initial drop but not much chance of stopping yourself once you are over!

But a nice view of the sea before you go!

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »

Thumbs:

Something tells me if LL reads this she will suggest that I don't wait for a plane...  whistle: