Author Topic: The All New Elfin Safety Thread  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Re: The All New Elfin Safety Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
Just walked the dog (NAE) up to the play area...

View from the road...

They covered large areas with gravel and sand - it all blew away the day after they finished it... you will see the site is quite exposed...

The trees didn't fare too well either - they need to be tied to 6 feet of rebar - not a bit of bamboo...

The view over the edge....

Not a huge initial drop but not much chance of stopping yourself once you are over!

But a nice view of the sea before you go!

noooo:
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »
Just walked the dog (NAE) up to the play area...

View from the road...

They covered large areas with gravel and sand - it all blew away the day after they finished it... you will see the site is quite exposed...

The trees didn't fare too well either - they need to be tied to 6 feet of rebar - not a bit of bamboo...

The view over the edge....

Not a huge initial drop but not much chance of stopping yourself once you are over!

But a nice view of the sea before you go!

noooo:

Needs some signs JOM....  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
It would have been better doing feck all
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »
I keep looking at the pictures and my main thought is it all needs a good season of rain

Ta though and yes a good view of the sea.

Precipices are a bit of a weird H&S case.  People are scared of them because of the "just one wrong step" thought but do that on the average town pavement and you will still be so much strawberry jam.  Yes they put railings up at the main junctions but now someone has pointed out that cyclists get squashed against them.

The most scary place I have ever been is a middle floor of the leaning tower of Pisa.  No safety rails and kids running around the outside.   I'm told there have been changes, I hope so.

H&S is about being reasonable with a sense of proportion but life and limb should not be treated cheaply just because they need a little thought.
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
It would have been better doing feck all

happy001

You're right actually... it has been a bit of empty space for the past ten years...

They had to bring a load of soil and 'build up' the cliff edge part to make it wide enough... it will be interesting to see how it all copes with the rains this winter...

Why they didn't just plant a load of Yuccas on it I have no idea....  noooo:

There is another 'play park' ( the one with the Oleander) no more than 150m (150 yards for you oldies) away...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
I keep looking at the pictures and my main thought is it all needs a good season of rain

Ta though and yes a good view of the sea.

Precipices are a bit of a weird H&S case.  People are scared of them because of the "just one wrong step" thought but do that on the average town pavement and you will still be so much strawberry jam.  Yes they put railings up at the main junctions but now someone has pointed out that cyclists get squashed against them.

The most scary place I have ever been is a middle floor of the leaning tower of Pisa.  No safety rails and kids running around the outside.   I'm told there have been changes, I hope so.

H&S is about being reasonable with a sense of proportion but life and limb should not be treated cheaply just because they need a little thought.

The rain might be the end of it...  lol:

The large patio area and pool you can see in picture 4 completely disappeared the first time it rained... the whole lot just collapsed and washed away....  noooo:

So they re-built it all....

... and the next winter the same thing happened.... doh:

Will be interesting to see what happens this year now it has been rebuilt again.....
Pro Skub  Thumbs: