Author Topic: Mad Scientists and scaring the hell out of the public  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Mad Scientists and scaring the hell out of the public
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
Ok I can understand the need to study flu virus variants in order to develop more effective vaccines but why the hell would you deliberately create a strain that is resistant to medication when you haven't got the proper lab facilities? By doing that you have crossed from a BSL level 3 virus (which your lab is rated to work at) to a BSL 4 virus. (Basially no vaccine, no cure, highly communicable and high probability of fatalities - other examples include Ebola, Marburg and Lassa Fever) where the biocontainment requirements are a hell of a lot more stringent. eeek:

Yes I know that media sensationalism sells but any student of virology or epidemeology should already be well aware of just how virulent an H5N1 variant can be. the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic was devastating and that was without the benefits of modern air travel. There are over 50 BSL 4 rated labs either active or being built across the globe, are you telling me that not one of them would have been happy to help with this research?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2678732/Are-mad-let-maverick-scientist-create-virus-wipe-400-million-people.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Mad Scientists and scaring the hell out of the public
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
I don't think they are that bothered about the elderly and infirm drinking loads BM  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
I don't think they are that bothered about the elderly and infirm drinking loads BM  rubschin:

I'm surprised they haven't reinstated the pensioner's tobacco allowance that used to exist in the 50’s as well as adding free booze allowance - it would help shorten the time thye have to pay out pensions!

Maybe I'll suggest it to Millipede and co for when they get in at the next election . . .
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

I'm surprised they haven't reinstated the pensioner's tobacco allowance that used to exist in the 50’s as well as adding free booze allowance - it would help shorten the time thye have to pay out pensions!

Maybe I'll suggest it to Millipede and co for when they get in at the next election . . .

I had forgotten about that, Woodbines and Mackeson for the old folk.

A smart move to keep the numbers down.
I mostly despair