Author Topic: Northern Rock  (Read 8890 times)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Re: Northern Rock
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »
And now the network is on a go slow as people send pictures of "Ceiling Cat" round the office...most odd.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:28:44 AM »
And now the network is on a go slow as people send pictures of "Ceiling Cat" round the office...most odd.

Care to post a copy? It would be interesting to know what is so intriguing that all your users are sending it round the office?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »

Caturday pictures?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »

eeek:

• Fool Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »

eeek:

Whatever turns kitty on then. He'll have a longish wait round here, old age being what it is!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
Agreed  sad24:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »

• Fool Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »
Item on the radio news just now:

Some woman has just withdrawn all her savings (?26,000) from Northern Rock and put it in another bank.

If all their depositors did this what would happen I wonder? Shades of the Wall Street crash spring to mind. IIRC that all started with a run on the banks with everyone drawing their money out.

Ooohh errrr, as one advert once said (for a financial institution - Allied Crowbar I think) "There may be trouble ahead. . ."

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »

Some woman has just withdrawn all her savings (?26,000) from Northern Rock and put it in another bank.

If all their depositors did this what would happen I wonder? Shades of the Wall Street crash spring to mind. IIRC that all started with a run on the banks with everyone drawing their money out.

Ooohh errrr, as one advert once said (for a financial institution - Allied Crowbar I think) "There may be trouble ahead. . ."

You've made my day Marley, I haven't heard that phrase for years !!! Have an applaud!

• Fool Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »

You've made my day Marley, I haven't heard that phrase for years !!! Have an applaud!

Why, thankyou kind sir! May I applaud your generosity!

I think they got the name from the way in which their salespeo Financial Advisors managed to 'crowbar' people into taking out their bonds (usually underperforiming if my wife's was anything to go by!)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Working in a mortgage company (still do) I had the displeasure of speaking to them regularly as they coerced poor unsuspecting souls to buy their endowments as repayment vehicles for their mortgages with us.

And then two years later, they would get the customer to surrender that one and take out another. And so it went on...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 11:13:34 AM »
It was no different back in 1970 when I worked for an insurance broker. Somethings never change.
Personally I am certain that the "Bank of the Loose Floorboard" is the safest place for my money.
I buy the cheapest, minimal insurance possible as they will all try to welch on the deal if you make a claim and I firmly believe I have more chance of making money on Number 5 in the 3.30 at Newmarket than I do by letting someone else "invest" my hard earned.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
It was no different back in 1970 when I worked for an insurance broker. Somethings never change.
Personally I am certain that the "Bank of the Loose Floorboard" is the safest place for my money.
I buy the cheapest, minimal insurance possible as they will all try to welch on the deal if you make a claim and I firmly believe I have more chance of making money on Number 5 in the 3.30 at Newmarket than I do by letting someone else "invest" my hard earned.
Thanks Snoops, I've put fifty quid on it...  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »

::) What was that about a fool and his money?  ::)

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »

I do not believe there to be any racing at Newmarket today. Now if you had said the 3.20 at Sandown, Pillar of Hercules...