Author Topic: Here we go again, I predict a national hosepipe ban and drastic rise in bills.  (Read 910 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
This is something that successive governments have all failed to deal with. We should have had a series of desalinisation and water treatment plants and vastly expanded storage as well as a cohesive national water grid built by now to deal with situations like this. We live on a bloody island, there is no excuse for a complete failure to deal with this issue. Hell if Ghana can afford to construct a major water desalinisation and treatment plant when the UK should certainly have been able to. Banghead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11047957/Lib-Dems-call-urgent-action-fix-leaking-pipes-avert-worst-drought-1976.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
This is something that successive governments have all failed to deal with. We should have had a series of desalinisation and water treatment plants and vastly expanded storage as well as a cohesive national water grid built by now to deal with situations like this. We live on a bloody island, there is no excuse for a complete failure to deal with this issue. Hell if Ghana can afford to construct a major water desalinisation and treatment plant when the UK should certainly have been able to. Banghead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11047957/Lib-Dems-call-urgent-action-fix-leaking-pipes-avert-worst-drought-1976.html

Yes, I lived in Surry and was surrounded by Reservoirs but It must have been way back in the late 60s when the last one was built (Wraysbury reservoir)...

Lots of NIMBY issues with building them...  noooo:

EDIT: Queen Mother Reservoir was completed later in 1976...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 05:30:36 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender

Yes, I lived in Surry and was surrounded by Reservoirs but It must have been way back in the late 60s when the last one was built (Wraysbury reservoir)...

Surrey, not Surry. An unforgiveable typo. I hope.  noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!

Yes, I lived in Surrey and was surrounded by Reservoirs but It must have been way back in the late 60s when the last one was built (Wraysbury reservoir)...

Ooops!  eeek:

Of course, it was Middlesex when I lived there!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster

Yes, I lived in Surrey and was surrounded by Reservoirs but It must have been way back in the late 60s when the last one was built (Wraysbury reservoir)...

Ooops!  eeek:

Typing in a hurrey.... rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!

Ooops!  eeek:

Typing in a hurrey.... rubschin:

drumroll:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Well bugger me, someone actually did build a desalination plant. Unfortunately they've just closed it as it's too expensive to run  Banghead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11086901/Thames-Water-emergency-drought-plant-SHUT-costs-run-electricity.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Well bugger me, someone actually did build a desalination plant. Unfortunately they've just closed it as it's too expensive to run  Banghead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11086901/Thames-Water-emergency-drought-plant-SHUT-costs-run-electricity.html

I know...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster

I know...  noooo:
That's the problem.  We have had decades of cheap potable water literally falling from the sky and so many Brits expect that to continue while still wanting more houses in the technically arid South East and of course denying that (for whatever reason) the climate has changed.

England:  434 people per km2

Cyprus: 123 people per km2

Well the party is quite possibly as over as the cheap gas party already is.
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Nick

Hosepipe bans are normally a precursor to torrential rain and forecasters putting up big yellow triangles warning us about how we are all going to die in floods!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
Hosepipe bans are normally a precursor to torrential rain and forecasters putting up big yellow triangles warning us about how we are all going to die in floods!

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Online Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
First lot of substantial rain = flooding  as the tough ol ground will not be willing to accept penetration  lol:

We should all live in paddling pools  :thumbsup:
Skubber