Author Topic: Supermarkets own brand stuff  (Read 6822 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Supermarkets own brand stuff
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »
After watching Martin Lewis earlier this week , about saving money when shoppin', I've decided to give his advice a go.

Instead of buying the usual well know brand stuff, that we all apparently unwittingly yearn for, I've gone for Asdas own where possible, or even their 'Smart Price' grub. eeek:

So now it's testing time. eatdrink013

Wenchy would like this bit. Biscuit testing. happy088

Asdas Smart Price Jaffa cakes. 29p for 12.
 Are these made by McVities, cus they taste exactly the same to me. Brilliant! eeek:
Smart Price 'Nice' and choc chip cookies/biscuits. Identical to well know brand imo for half the price. happy088

Just cleaned me teeth with Asdas own brand tooth paste, and whilst it doesn't taste the same as the usual suspects, Colgates etc., it does what it sez on the tube...it cleans your teeth. Adequate for me, but there will no doubt be complaints from GROWLERS' jnrs. ::)

I'm just going to go and have a good scrub with Asda Smart Price soap now @ 6p a bar. lol:
It's probably got conc.sulpuric acid in it, so it'll save me having to have a shave with Smart Price shaving foam! lol:

Yet to try: Asdas own tinned fruit and butty spreads, including a chicken one that is Smart Price. I'll make two buttys for mini moose using both brands to see if she can tell the difference.
I could, to the tune of 15p a bottle.
Asda Smart Price own baked beans? I'm fully expecting these to taste like shite tbh, sick2: as Heinz...the best imo, DON'T make beans for anyone else apparently.

I'm currently running 1 car on bio diesel which is 50% normal diesel apparently, @ 80p a litre, and the Landy on 50% bio, and 50% Asdas own veggy oil @ 60p a litre, 48p a litre when I'm, passing Costco/Orbro. 
The Landy has been running sweetly on this mix for 6 months now without missing a beat. Even the recently changed fuel filter was clean, after reading all the hype about them getting clogged up more rapidly. ::)

Never knew saving dosh could be so interesting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:54:57 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Supermarkets own brand stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Put this way it isn't. What are you on about?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »
Put this way it isn't. What are you on about?

Why? What's so confusing about what I've said? rubschin:

Even I can understand what i've written, and I'm THICK, apparently. ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
Is the cooking oil thing... um legal?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »

I believe so...in small quantities.

If not, I'll delete that bit of my post. ;)

Not recommended for modern post 2000 cars anyway apparently. Viscosity is too high and can block the more modern high tech high pressure systems/injectors.
I only use the Landy for roaming around The Swamp anyway, so I suppose I could even use 'Red' if I wanted to. rubschin:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:53:43 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »
Shop wisely young Growler and may the force be with you.

With 5 to feed on a pension and Mrs Snoopy's p/t earnings we use a combo of Asda (Usually Smart Price), Local Farms, Lidl & Aldi.

At the end of the day the kids cannot tell the difference but having one who is super allergic to many things and me being diabetic we have to read all labels ~ that can be interesting.

If you have any food problems (allergies, hyper activity etc) this site is a mine of information. Worth reading anyway as you find out what those numbers on the labels really mean and the possible effects on you.
http://curezone.org/foods/enumbers.asp
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »
We do buy mostly own brand stuff. I don't think there is any point in not doing so as in a lot of cases they are all manufactured by the same people anyway.

The only three things that spring to mind that we don't are baked beans, marmite and peanut butter. There are some things that are not worth compromising on.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 11:41:04 AM »
Asda Smart Price Chocolate Spread is the only one we can find that does not have nuts in it. Little one is highly allergic to nuts but adores chocolate. As responsible parents perhaps we shouldn't indulge him but he has to go without so much that we feel justified.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »

Not recommended for modern post 2000 cars anyway apparently. Viscosity is to high and can block the more modern high tech high pressure systems/injectors.
I only use the Landy for roaming around The Swamp anyway, so I suppose I could even use 'Red' if I wanted to. rubschin:
I pour a load of old shite into my L200 – two stroke oil, paint thinners, etc. anything I can’t easily dump elsewhere but I haven’t tried cooking oil in it… yet.  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:53:10 AM »

Not recommended for modern post 2000 cars anyway apparently. Viscosity is to high and can block the more modern high tech high pressure systems/injectors.
I pour a load of old shite into my L200 – two stroke oil, paint thinners, etc. anything I can’t easily dump elsewhere but I haven’t tried cooking oil in it… yet.  rubschin:

Smells so sweet when you get a whiff of smoke on start up.

The girls on the check out at Asda look at me a bit strange when they see me fillin' up the pay in tray with 30 liters of Veggy oil.
I tell them I like a full English brekky, several times a day. lol:

The old L200 like all that shite you pour into it then? eeek:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »

At the end of the day the kids cannot tell the difference but having one who is super allergic to many things and me being diabetic we have to read all labels ~ that can be interesting.

Doing a blinfold test on Miss Growler tonight. lol:

Asdas own 'Monster Munch' v Walkers original version. ::)

Who needs the telly when you can have this sort of entertainment?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »

Is that legal?  eeek:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »

Is that legal?  eeek:

Which? The blinfold  the tank tape or the MONSTER munch? lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »

When I bought the L200 they asked if I was going to ship it to the UK. When I said 'no' they sold me the £500 cheaper version that didn't have all the complex EU emissions shite bolted on to it. Any local mechanic can fix the 2½ litre lump with a range of different size hammers…  whistle:

I’ll get some cooking oil poured into it as soon as they fill the moat up and I can get to the road again.  Banghead
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »
Try it on a gradual basis, don't just fill 'er up. noooo:

Got to be pure veggi oil I believe.
Kits are now available for converting old 'chippy' oil @ approx 8p a liter, but it's a bit time consuming and messy apparently.
Fill yer tank up for about 3 quid though. eeek:

Watch the fuel filter too, as this stuff drags all the varnish and crud out of the tank and fuel lines and can block it up quite quickly ...apparently.