Author Topic: The Dragon's Den  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
The Dragon's Den
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Started to watch this yesterday evening. Five minutes in and some poor sod making his pitch (something about being a celebrity) dries up completely. I couldn’t watch through sheer embarrassment for him.

I turned it off.

I can’t have been the only one who did so why start with this guy?  Someone more self-assured would have been better, unless of course the audience aimed at is one that that relishes other people’s misfortune.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The Dragon's Den
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
Started to watch this yesterday evening. Five minutes in and some poor sod making his pitch (something about being a celebrity) dries up completely. I couldn’t watch through sheer embarrassment for him.

I turned it off.

I can’t have been the only one who did so why start with this guy?  Someone more self-assured would have been better, unless of course the audience aimed at is one that that relishes other people’s misfortune.

I didn’t watch it but I know what you mean Uncle… I would have switched it off too…

I don’t get pleasure form watching people struggle to present like that – I know how hard it is.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »
Been considering an application to go on meself like. rubschin:

I wouldn't tolerate any bloody nonsense off them.  noooo:
Give us the dosh or piss off and stop wasting my precious life time. evil:

Crackin' show, but you've got to be very assertive, forceful and sure of yerself...like. eveilgrin:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:05:49 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »
Even the most accomplished of actors get "first night nerves".
I spent years as a saleman and consider myself highly trained to make presentations etc but never entered one without a feeling of trepidation.
As for the programme I have to say I have never watched it, nor do I intend to, but the trailers and written publicity for it makes me think "Bread and Circuses" ~ ie entertainment for the masses to keep 'em quiet and stop them from starting a revolution.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:02 AM »
It's just a show, if you really want some venture capital I'm sure there are better sources.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
It's just a show, if you really want some venture capital I'm sure there are better sources.

Indeed ~ like Top Gear really ... just entertainment.
If you want real information, help and support you will not get it from the TV.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »

Indeed ~ like Top Gear really ... just entertainment.

Don't start. I'm fillin' up again. sad24:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
Even the most accomplished of actors get "first night nerves".
I spent years as a salesman and consider myself highly trained to make presentations etc but never entered one without a feeling of trepidation.
As for the programme I have to say I have never watched it, nor do I intend to, but the trailers and written publicity for it makes me think "Bread and Circuses" ~ ie entertainment for the masses to keep 'em quiet and stop them from starting a revolution.

Agree with you there Snoops. Back in the mid 90's I earned my living as a 'professional presenter' fronting up big shindigs for the likes of IBM and CA - all round the world and with audiences of up to 800! Talk about frightening!

I think the worst case was going up in front of around 600 Aussies in Sydney! And the live demos went tits up! That was scary!

Still, I used to get a real buzz out of presenting, but always, always had 'butterflies' beforehand. Don't believe anyone who says otherwise - they are either lying, or fools.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »
That Chinese bird in the last series with the lease car business had it right…

They all took the piss out of her advertising ‘rocket’ but in my personal opinion she wasn’t after the money at all – she did however get an amazing amount of free publicity from the show.  lol:

Use them for free advertising and it is a good deal. Bollocks to a public humiliation then being raped for 60% of your business though…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
Thanks for the correction MG ~ I really must go back to one fingered typing .... it works better than the three fingered sort. Mrs Snoopy tells me that I don't apply enough pressure with the left hand. She bases this assertion on the fact that most of my errors, missed letters etc are on that side of the keyboard AND for no other reason before anyone jumps in with sexual innuendo.

I think my worst moment was when I had to address the National Conference of the Union of Communication Workers. It was Tom Jackson's last year and I was seconding a motion. I had prepared a witty (or so it seemed to me) little speech and got to the podium OK. Then, as I started, my eye was drawn to the end of the prepared speech which said "and I should like conference to know that although I second this motion I am a member of the Conservative Party" ~ suddenly it didn't seem like such a good idea. Certainly not as good an idea as when I had written it in the bar the night before...... but when all is lost one ploughs on ~ I actually got a cheer. eeek:
Shortly after that I switched careers ..... no connection really.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the correction MG ~ I really must go back to one fingered typing .... it works better than the three fingered sort. Mrs Snoopy tells me that I don't apply enough pressure with the left hand. She bases this assertion on the fact that most of my errors, missed letters etc are on that side of the keyboard AND for no other reason before anyone jumps in with sexual innuendo.

I think my worst moment was when I had to address the National Conference of the Union of Communication Workers. It was Tom Jackson's last year and I was seconding a motion. I had prepared a witty (or so it seemed to me) little speech and got to the podium OK. Then, as I started, my eye was drawn to the end of the prepared speech which said "and I should like conference to know that although I second this motion I am a member of the Conservative Party" ~ suddenly it didn't seem like such a good idea. Certainly not as good an idea as when I had written it in the bar the night before...... but when all is lost one ploughs on ~ I actually got a cheer. eeek:
Shortly after that I switched careers ..... no connection really.

Anyone for irony?

On the topic of humour in presentations, don't try it in Warsaw, Prague or anywhere in Belgium! You might get away with it in Holland, Germany or France. The Far East is another matter altogether - they either have a better sense of humour than us, or don't understand a word you're saying! And as for the Antipodeans - well - if it's not about beer of BBQ, forget it!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
What the fuck is the camera man on?  shrugs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
Time and a half?  shrugs:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Time and a half?  shrugs:
Amphetamines more likely…  cussing:

Has anybody watched it recently...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
I did actually, a couple of nights ago I think. More close ups than previous; Khan's beard, Meadon's bozooom, Bannatyne's nostrils? Am I right?
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"