Author Topic: Vulcan  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: Vulcan
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
Live Long and Prosper

The actor that plays Sylar is playing him in the new Star Trek film.

Misunderstood

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »
Going back to that Google earth Vulcan pic wasn't that aircraft on the taxiway a Canberra?  and a Victor top right?

The 'Aircraft' that early Concorde engine and wing geometry tests were done with is in RNAS Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm Museum along with Concorde 002 er...  G - BSST    I forget what it was called - but it was an engine with wings.  IIRC.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 04:59:24 AM »

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
I've just been reading up on all they have done to get this Vulcan back into the air ~ made me think of Trigger's Broom in OFaH. Lasted for umpteen years and has only had three new handles and five new heads. lol:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »
I've just been reading up on all they have done to get this Vulcan back into the air ~ made me think of Trigger's Broom in OFaH. Lasted for umpteen years and has only had three new handles and five new heads. lol:
I think it is fantastic that they’ve got such a beautiful and historically significant aircraft back in the air where it belongs.

But isn’t it stupid that we let the thing be grounded in the first place – I ‘spec the same thing will happen to the Harrier. Its amazing that the government can’t find a few million for something like this that makes many of us proud to be part of the country (for a few minutes at least).

I wonder if a similar organisation could get Concorde back in the air?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »
I think it is fantastic that they’ve got such a beautiful and historically significant aircraft back in the air where it belongs.

But isn’t it stupid that we let the thing be grounded in the first place – I ‘spec the same thing will happen to the Harrier. Its amazing that the government can’t find a few million for something like this that makes many of us proud to be part of the country (for a few minutes at least).

You are talking mega bucks for that one BM. ..... More than even you could afford.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »

You are talking mega bucks for that one BM. ..... More than even you could afford.
I don’t see why tho – they were all updated, Kevlar lined fuel tanks, new interiors, bloody millions spent on them… It was only the media that hounded them from the skies…

If they did it now it would be significantly cheaper and more practical than attempting it in ten years time when they’ve been standing out in the open without any maintenance.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »
Do you really think it was the media? ~ I formed the impression that it was:
(i) The French
(ii) Fear of litigation
(iii) The Yanks ~ who never liked it because it wasn't theirs

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
I really feel the media hounded it out of the sky… it was too good a story for them every time something went wrong on a flight. In the end it was inevitable that it would be taken out of service.

I bet there are millions that would like a chance to fly on it tho and would buy ‘shares’ for a chance to do so if a team could be put together to get it back in the air…
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
I really feel the media hounded it out of the sky… it was too good a story for them every time something went wrong on a flight. In the end it was inevitable that it would be taken out of service.

I bet there are millions that would like a chance to fly on it tho and would buy ‘shares’ for a chance to do so if a team could be put together to get it back in the air…

Sort of a Pound (£) a rivet investment .... sell enough rivets and she flies ...... Good idea 'though I 'spect we'd have trouble selling the scheme to the Revenue.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

Sort of a Pound (£) a rivet investment .... sell enough rivets and she flies ...... Good idea 'though I 'spect we'd have trouble selling the scheme to the Revenue.
We need Ant and Dec and a premium 'phone line - there are plenty of daft buggers that will call it.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
Not anymore there aren't

Oh I don't know some most people never learn

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »
 redface:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »

RTFM