Author Topic: Vulcan  (Read 3762 times)

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Vulcan
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
I'm suprised i didnt hear it from here. If you have ever had one of these fly over you then you'll know what I mean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7049694.stm

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/ (this site is busy at present)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:13:33 PM by tailgunner »
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Re: Vulcan
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »
Look here

Change to aerial view and zoom in on the northeast end of the runway.

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
That brings a lump to my throat!

I worked on Vulcans at Scampton in the late 60's/early 70's and always considered it to be one of the best looking aircraft of all time.

I remember watching a certain Wing Commander Vesey practicing for an air display once. All of us climbed on the crew room roof to get a better view.

To see one of these aircraft 'beat up' the runway at such a low level that had it dropped its undercart it would have crashed was a sight to behold. And then, he hit 105% and pulled the stick back! What a sight and what a sound! AFAIAA he was the only pilot on squadron to actually exceed 90 degrees of bank - it was never authorised for inverted flight but he came damned close. I believe one of the early test pilots did something similar.

Long live the Vulcan!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »
Live Long and Prosper

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Which of the V-Bombers was it, that they used to test the Concorde engines - made an incredible noise.

RTFM

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
Which of the V-Bombers was it, that they used to test the Concorde engines - made an incredible noise.

T'was the Vulcan (I saw one once)

This thread just reminded me that this plane flew low over my house yesterday morning on it's way into Stansted.

rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FybXMMCAHsE

NB Not in answer to the question 'bout Concorde but a good piece of video of a Vulcan for all that.

And the last show in 1992

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZ0fmTUdWo
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:56:46 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »
I remember my father working on control systems for Concorde and TSR2. He sometimes went to Bristol and witnessed some of the engine testing.

RTFM

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:18:39 PM »

That was a Vulcan.

It used to fly over here from Farnborough. cloud9:
I mostly despair

• Fool Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FybXMMCAHsE

NB Not in answer to the question 'bout Concorde but a good piece of video of a Vulcan for all that.

And the last show in 1992

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZ0fmTUdWo

Watching those brought back another memory.

T'was 1970 IIRC and we were on an exercise which took us to Hickam USAF base in Hawaii. After the 4 V's had landed, the yanks were extracting the michael unmercifully due to their not being very BIG.

Anyway, the aircrew decided that they didn't like this one bit and hatched a plot. They got us to put word out to be on the airfield with as many natives as possible a 8a.m. next morning when they were scheduled to leave.

Went out - loads of 'natives' (i.e. local USAF personnel) there to watch. 4 V's started engines and taxied to the end of the runway (shared, incidentally, with Honolulu International Airport) where they lined up. All 4 spooled up the big Olympus engines, held on the brakes until the word.

Leader got clearance, and, on his sayso, they all gave it 105% and moved off together. They all clung to the deck until well past V2 and, again on the guvnors say so, pulled back in synch.

You've never seen so many American jaws on the floor. Those things went off near vertical.

We were delighted. Turned to the locals (who had been saying "Bombers, they're not bombers" to us all night) and said: "Those are bombers!"

Looked mighty impressive compared to the lumbering old B52's they were flying which almost had to flap their wings to get off the ground!

Didn't buy a single beer that night in the BX!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

• Fool Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »

That was a Vulcan.

It used to fly over here from Farnborough. cloud9:

. . . and it turned up at Scampton on a couple of occasions.

• Fool Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
I remember my father working on control systems for Concorde and TSR2. He sometimes went to Bristol and witnessed some of the engine testing.

Cracking aircraft that was (TSR2). Pity the dozy buggers in power at the time (mid/late 60's IIRC) cancelled it. It would have been a world beater!

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
Twould still be in service, I am sure.

RTFM

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »
the dozy buggers in power at the time

Wilson. evil:
I mostly despair

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"