Author Topic: National Trust against homes plan  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: National Trust against homes plan
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I know, I know. Still doesn't stop me being cross at the greedy bastards!  cussing:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
There are several factors at play here.
(i) More people are seeking to buy their own home "get on the property ladder" or whatever you want to call it because they have been convinced that this is the only measure of success in life in the UK
(ii) Many migrant families have purchased properties over recent years and as they tend to have larger families than native Brits they club together (pool their incomes) to achieve this. As their children marry and leave home again the whole family will buy a home for them thus one family can own a number of houses.(Enoch was right in this respect as in so many others)
(iii) There are more single people and/or single parent families seeking homes
(iv) Public house building programmes have been at a virtual standstill since government decided the apres war crisis had been solved.
(v) Local authorities have not been permitted to build "Council Houses" for some considerable time and anyway nobody wants them because of (i) above
(vi) The Government is a crock of shite that could not find its way out of a paper bag let alone solve the problem in any meaningful way. That is not what "They" see as their function.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
It isn't really because of the measure of success thing it's because it would be nice to be able to paint, put up a shelf without having written in triplicate permission!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »
It isn't really because of the measure of success thing it's because it would be nice to be able to paint, put up a shelf without having written in triplicate permission!

My parents lived in a council house. They could put up as many shelves as they wanted and paint the place whenever they wished, in any colour they desired. You are talking restrictive private rental ~ a very different kettle of fish. See my points about "social housing"

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »

My parents lived in a council house. They could put up as many shelves as they wanted and paint the place whenever they wished, in any colour they desired. You are talking restrictive private rental ~ a very different kettle of fish. See my points about "social housing"
I was born and brought up in a council flat – look at me now!

rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:11:57 AM »

I was born and brought up in a council flat – look at me now!

rubschin:

Exactly!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »

Ahhh I'm not though. Apparently I am not suitable for "social housing" and I don't earn enough to buy so I don't really have an option.

Offline Nick

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »
Wenchy bears a  grudge. You will have to get Mr Wench to find a new job out of London.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »
It is part of the grand plan.

Offline Nick

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 10:32:55 AM »
So where do you plan to move?

Primary schools are feminisied environments and tehy can't recruit Heads for any money nowadays. Of our four local Primaries only one has a decent head and 2 are heading for the sack. New DH of The Boy's School is only 32.................

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »
Within five years move to Wales, within eight to ten get a headship. Should be doable by all accounts.

Offline Nick

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »
He could get a headship in that time deffo. I assume he knows about this.

http://www.schoolsweb.gov.uk/locate/professionaldevelopment/careerops/ncfsl/

I write stuff for them, which is worrying!

WALES?! scared2:

Norfolk!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »

Ahhh I'm not though. Apparently I am not suitable for "social housing" and I don't earn enough to buy so I don't really have an option.

Exactly the point ~ in the old days you would have been put on a list for a council flat/house and, eventually, been granted one. Now you "don't qualify". It's called Social Engineering.
"They" want you to move out to the sticks and this is one way of making you.

Now let's look at this sensibly. Pay Scales for teachers (even NQTs) are pretty good and you also earn ~ so 3 or 4 times your joint income makes a mortgage affordable.

Properties ~ two bed semi in this area can be had for between £65 and £75k ..... Less if you are not particular about location. Teacher's pay is on the same national scale wherever and there are vacancies in all parts of the UK. If Mr Wench speaks Welsh then they'd pay him extra here because they cannot get enough Welsh speakers, if he doesn't but is willing to learn they'll still pay extra and give him time off to learn it.
If you don't want a house then you can buy a flat here for less than £25k ~ there is one in the village going for £19k today.

Another advantage to North Wales is that it is harder to get to Cardiff from here than it is from London.  lol:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
Yep. Not sure what he is doing but there is stuff in the works. His current headmaster whilst a bit of a numpty is helping in that department.

chuntering again

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »
Wenchy, how can you not afford a house on two professional wages, when lenders will give 5x income without proof of income? Are you only looking in central London or extremely cautious with your money?