Disgusterous

Author Topic: Hunting again.....  (Read 8204 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: Hunting again.....
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »
I've been rather wooly headed myself the past few days

You seemed you usual self to the rest of us. whistle:

redface:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

redface:

Not worth loosing sleep over.

RTFM

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »

redface:

Not worth loosing sleep over.

Losing sleep isn't always bad, if my memory serves me well. whistle:  eyes:

Which it often doesn't these days  surrender:
I mostly despair

Misunderstood

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
Poor Growler.

I can understand only too well what you have been suffering the last couple of days, but it may help if you realise that in the greater scheme of things it is not anger that you are feeling, but frustration.

Frustrated that such a daft act could see you out of pocket so quickly and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it because you didn't know about it.  Such a simple fix would have saved the day - but alas - it happened.

One of the first things to settle down to come to terms with, is that there are technical people, and there people that simply and literally don't comprehend things technical.

They see life through a completely different pair of eyes and to the great annoyance of people that are technically aware, they consider things like cars to be complete entities.  like people, if you will, they cannot see the irrational proposition that some parts are more important than others.  They expect some sympathy from the car to their predicament and absolutely believe that pleading with the car and treating it nicely will postpone the problem to a more convenient time where it will be loved for being so considerate and patient.   Then when all hell is let loose they really can't see where they went wrong, after all, it was the car's fault not theirs that the puncture didn't wait a bit.

It is very much an alternative logic that is in force, 'we' cannot see any sense in it in exactly the same way as 'they' can't see our 'blindingly obvious' logical reasoning.

Nevertheless, we have to come to terms with it and the only way forwards is for all of us to extend a little flexibility in trying to visualise the other's viewpoint - or logic point if you like.

As in nearly all cases, in the glaring light of hindsight, she fully realises the consequences of her action and is mortified by the outcome, hence the continuous apologising, but as is usual in human nature once the criticism has reached a certain level for the defence mechanism to kick in and attempts to present some kind of intelligence level. This becomes a priority - even if it is only to preserve some kind of self-respect - we all do it but in is only noticeable when others do it to us and seriously annoy us by the appearance of denying culpability.

The only crumb of comfort in it the fact that she is very, very unlikely to do that again.  But that should not be taken as a major re-evaluation of the 'human' approach to machines, because it is not.  She has learned the hard way that tyres are more important than some other bits but that's all.  She probably has no idea why.

We can only wait to wonder what the next breath-taking episode of mechanical ignorance will manifest itself.  So you must press home the message that whenever a similar decision has to be made, the first action will be to ask you for an opinion. 

And you will not be grumpy when you answer countless 'silly' questions and slowly come to realise that there is an entire gulf in the difference of 'common sense' between mechanical people and non-mechanical people, and take comfort in the fact that a lesson - albeit an expensive lesson - has been learned.

Hopefully by both of you.

I write this, not intending it to be critical of either side but as an attempt to bridge the wide but invisible gap between different people in their application of 'common-sense.  Common-sense is only applicable to people who are completely familiar with the subject in focus.  It took me some 40 years to make that observation but life is a lot calmer now that I have.

This calm state is helped enormously by a partner that can actually think things through.  A rare talent. 

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »
We can only wait to wonder what the next breath-taking episode of mechanical ignorance will manifest itself.

I doubt we will have to wait long! evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:59 PM »
Bouncer. Resident physcolgist. eeek:

In the glowing ::) aftermath of reflection, what you've stated is very true.

As much as she has admitted her stupidity for not ringing me for advice, and  even though she knew I wouldn't be happy, she now freely admits that my mild annoyance would have been directed at the tyre and nail, NOT her.

That therefore throws out the theory that she didn't ring me because of my somewhat 'turbulent tempremant' and 'general attitude' i'm pleased to conclude. ::)

The lesson has been painfully learnt, and she has confirmed that in future, if the dashboard shows STOP, she will.

Meanwhile, my hunt for solid tyres continues with gusto. lol:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2007, 05:53:19 PM »
We can only wait to wonder what the next breath-taking episode of mechanical ignorance will manifest itself.

TOO! evil:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »

TOO! evil:

Sorry Growler, NO!

In that sentence, the verb form (infinitive as in split e.g. 'to boldly go' where the modifier boldly is inserted into the infinitive form of the verb 'to go') is 'to wait'. You'd have been correct if it had been written thus:

I doubt we will have toO long to wait      (note: it is still 'to wait')

OK?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »

TOO! evil:

Sorry Growler, NO!

In that sentence, the verb form (infinitive as in split e.g. 'to boldly go' where the modifier boldly is inserted into the infinitive form of the verb 'to go') is 'to wait'. You'd have been correct if it had been written thus:

OK?

Wrong you are not.
I mostly despair

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »

TOO! evil:

Sorry Growler, NO!

OK?

Wrong you are not.

Know I that!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 06:41:42 PM »
I know. I was just testing. scared:
Now if he's put the 'to' after the werd 'wait', that would warrant the extra 'o'.
See? Easy!

truth be know, a bit of dyslexia kicked in, and i read the 'to' the wrong side of the 'wait'....aghhh!

Oh, and by the way DS. I hit my bloody screen this morning, thanks to YOU! ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:43:52 PM by GROWLER »

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »

What, wouldn't it fit in the dishwasher?
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:23 PM »
K?

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »

What, wouldn't it fit in the dishwasher?

No you bloody ape. THE FLY! ::)

Offline Nick

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 07:29:58 PM »
K?