Author Topic: Can someone explain this one to me.  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Can someone explain this one to me.
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
When I first read about this I thought fair play to him, he' sgot a once in a lifetime chance to do something he's always wanted to do. Then I read again and noticed something a little odd..

Defence Minister Lord Drayson has taken a "leave of absence" from the government in a bid to take part in the world-famous 24-hour Le Mans race.
The 47-year-old is resigning from his unpaid post to take part a series of qualifying events in the United States.

A government spokesman said it was "a key step towards his eventual dream of success" in Le Mans.

Lord Drayson came second in the British GT championship this year, driving a "unique bio-ethanol-fuelled" car.

'Once-in-a-lifetime'

The American Le Mans series involves four different classes of car, with the winner of each class going on to take part in the main 24-hour race, in France.

In a letter to Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Lord Drayson said: "As you know I have a passion for motor racing and over the past year have competed in the British GT championship racing a unique bio-ethanol fuelled race car, achieving a 'historic first' win for a green-fuelled car and coming second overall in the championship.

"A number of special circumstances have now presented me with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take my racing to the next level.

"I have the opportunity to race next year in the American Le Mans series in the US, a key step towards my eventual dream of success in the Le Mans 24-hours endurance race."

You are of course lucky to have that opportunity but you are showing your customary boldness and imagination by pursuing it

Gordon Brown
In letter to Lord Drayson

He said next year was the first time bio-ethanol cars would be allowed to compete, adding: "So this is a wonderful opportunity to showcase British motorsport technology for environmentally friendly racing."

Lord Drayson, who in 2004 was Labour's biggest individual donor, having made a fortune in the technology business, said: "Unfortunately it cannot be combined with the challenge of full-time government office."

Mr Brown wrote to say he was sorry to lose him and looked forward to "your return to government when your leave of absence ends".

He added: "I understand your desire to take up the extraordinary opportunity which has now emerged to achieve your great life's ambition.

"You are of course lucky to have that opportunity but you are showing your customary boldness and imagination by pursuing it."

Lord Drayson's job as defence procurement minister job has gone, on a permanent and paid basis, to Baroness Ann Taylor.

The Le Mans 24-hour race has been held since 1923. Teams have to include at least three drivers to prevent fatigue.

The American series started in 1999.

So am I right in thinking that someone is being paid to take over an unpaid post?
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Can someone explain this one to me.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:09:38 PM »
So it appears!

But despite us being involved in 2 wars at present (at the last count) the Defence Secretary is only part-time....
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Sour Puss

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
When I first read about this I thought fair play to him, he' sgot a once in a lifetime chance to do something he's always wanted to do. Then I read again and noticed something a little odd..

So am I right in thinking that someone is being paid to take over an unpaid post?

I just read that on the BBC, that is what I understand it to say... How strange...

Good on him though, not many people get that sort of chance, even if they have his sort of money. He would be stupid not to take it.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »
He is/was the defence procurement minister ~ not exactly a part time job I would have thought, considering, as Nick pointed out, we are currently fighting two wars.

"Sorry you can't have any tanks, it's his day off"

I also noted 'Lord Drayson, who in 2004 was Labour's biggest individual donor'  rubschin:

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:00:57 PM »
It's Des Broon (any relation) who is Defence Secretary. ANd he is part time

See here:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page7467.asp

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
To be fair to the man, his vacuum cleaners are great…  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
He is/was the defence procurement minister ~ not exactly a part time job I would have thought, considering, as Nick pointed out, we are currently fighting two wars.

It does explain the complete debacle over soldiers kit though.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 03:04:01 PM »
I suppose we only need a full time defense department when we have a world war.

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
To be fair to the man, his vacuum cleaners are great… 

char048

We have one, they are Sh*te and anyway................oh, why do I bother? noooo:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »

I guess we'll know that has happened when the government tries to bring out the Dunkirk Spirit with soundbites like 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Ahmed, if you think we're on the run'

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
To be fair to the man, his vacuum cleaners are great… 

char048

We have one, they are Sh*te and anyway................oh, why do I bother? noooo:
redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 03:38:41 PM »
I don't suppose "Baroness Ann Taylor" is "Lady Drayson"'s stage name by any chance?

Or perhaps it could be what "Andy Drayson" would like to be called when he returns from his "procedure" in the USA?

I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:10:45 PM »

I guess we'll know that has happened when the government tries to bring out the Dunkirk Spirit with soundbites like 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Ahmed, if you think we're on the run'
;D

or...

'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Dinnerjacket, if you think we're on the run'
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »
Superb timing Army supply 'chaos' proved fatal

Mrs Gentle said she was appalled by the way the Ministry of Defence (MoD) had behaved.

She criticised Lord Drayson, the minister who was in charge of defence procurement, for his decision to stand down on the day the inquest concluded.

Lord Drayson said he was taking a "leave of absence" to take part in the 24-hour Le Mans race.

Mrs Gentle said: "He should be at his desk, not trotting off to some race.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Superb timing Army supply 'chaos' proved fatal

Mrs Gentle said she was appalled by the way the Ministry of Defence (MoD) had behaved.

She criticised Lord Drayson, the minister who was in charge of defence procurement, for his decision to stand down on the day the inquest concluded.

Lord Drayson said he was taking a "leave of absence" to take part in the 24-hour Le Mans race.

Mrs Gentle said: "He should be at his desk, not trotting off to some race.

What a farce - he should hang his head in shame...  noooo:

Instead he'll get a cast-iron index linked pension prolly...
Pro Skub  Thumbs: