Author Topic: Diabetes is now even more hazardous to your health.  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Diabetes is now even more hazardous to your health.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
I do have an ID Card giving this information in several languages which the EU kindly supply but no-one ever reads it ~ not even the paramedics when I was taken to Hospital when I collapsed in the street last year nor for that matter did the Doctors & Nurses in A&E. "We know best" seems to be the attitude. One Doctor even told me that he had never seen such a card before but then he had never encountered anyone with an ICD Implant before either. ::)

As for carrying a rucksack ~ FFS! I have a wife. Wife = Handbag. Why should I need to carry anything that won't fit in a trouser pocket?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »
Getting back on topic ~ I find this very scary ~ I am diabetic and also have an implanted defibrillator. If some trigger happy rozzers blasts me with his taser I'm a gonner.

Perhaps a badge giving this information?
::)
A terrorist would never think of that eh Wenchy?

Of course not! It's probably against their religion to wear badges! ::)
Indeed...  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Mr Happy

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 11:41:38 PM »
As the boards sole diabetic can i just point out that he'd have to be a moron to go into a diabetic coma.  If your bloods are low there's plenty of warning signs and a cure known as sugar.  It takes longer for your sugars to go high and preety much every case is caused by idiocy.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 12:23:03 AM »
As the boards sole diabetic . . .

I think not.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
I too am diabetic (I'll be Spartacus too if you like) and I have hypo'd when not expecting to. Not all diabetics have control of their condition and there is not always "plenty of warning"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »
I too am diabetic (I'll be Spartacus too if you like) and I have hypo'd when not expecting to. Not all diabetics have control of their condition and there is not always "plenty of warning"
You need to go easy on those Bonios...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 12:50:57 PM »
You need to go easy on those Bonios...  noooo:

It's those or scraps from the Landlord's table and I wouldn't get the Bonios if it were not for Wenchy's soft heart. sad24:

Mr Happy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
I was only micky taking with the 'only', Snoops and i have discussed before.

Never remember which is which Snoops, is hypo the low, in my experience there is usually warning signs and the coma takes a while.  If it's the high then you'd have to be not looking after yourself properly.

I hear newspaper reports quite often of diabetics near death experience.  One lady attempted to sue a train company because the train was stuck between signals for an hour and she 'could have died'.  She could if she'd given me her story...

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »
 lol: Indeed ~ I would have done for her too.

Mr Happy

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
lol: Indeed ~ I would have done for her too.

Help e out then snoops which is hyper and which is hypo?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:02:43 PM »
Hypo is Low: Hypoglycaemia is a condition where the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood drops below a certain point. The first symptoms are sweating, rapid heart beat, dizzyness, trembling. Depends on the individual at what point this sets in but it can cause the sufferer to pass out. They (the Doctors) Tell me that a blood sugar level of 3mmol/l is considered to be a hypo but I start to hypo at about 4.5 so I do get the warnings to top up the sugar levels ~ now that I have learned to recognise what is going on. In fact I carry some glucose tablets wherever I go and always have a couple of muesli bars in the car. The problem I found was that some days I would miss a meal because I was not hungry ~ I've always done this ... doesn't everyone? and I felt no ill effects yet on other days missing a meal or even just being a hour or so late in eating and I'm in Hypo mode.

Hyper is High ~ the danger with Hyper is not so bad really unless it is prolonged when heart problems can be caused.

Mr Happy

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
I hypo at about 4, missing a meal isn't a common experience for me.  My hypos tend to occur overnight.  When out and about I'm a proper boy scout, dextrose et al.

I knew a nutter once who used to deliberately hypo as it made hime feel invincible, nob!

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »
I've never understood why they let themselves get into this sort of a state. Surely any normal diabetic carries stuff with them, glucose tablets, chocolate etc.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
I've never understood why they let themselves get into this sort of a state. Surely any normal diabetic carries stuff with them, glucose tablets, chocolate etc.

Indeed they do but what is "normal"? An additional problem is that some, who have been diabetic for a long time, can suddenly keel over without any prior symptoms, as seems to have been the case with this chap.
But surely the issue here is the complete lack of common sense shown by the police officers involved. Someone in a comatose state should be obvious but because they (the police) had been told that the bus driver "thought" that the person MIGHT be a bomber they went in "all guns blazing" so to speak, without further thought. In my opinion it presents a good argument against arming ordinary officers with these weapons. A shock from one would kill me because of my implanted defibrillator but how many police officers are even aware of ICDs? According to latest figures from the Arrhythmia Association there are only about 2700 of us in the UK and even fewer are also diabetic so, to my mind, better training is needed. The fewer police officers that are allowed to handle these weapons the easier it would be to (i) train them fully and (ii) keep control over their deployment.

Online Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 09:12:46 AM »
...but because they (the police) had been told that the bus driver "thought" that the person MIGHT be a bomber they went in "all guns blazing" so to speak, without further thought. In my opinion it presents a good argument against arming ordinary officers with these weapons.

It's also a good argument for the authorities to stop 'talking up' the threat. The public start seeing bombers everywhere.