Author Topic: Pissed Off Puppy  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Pissed Off Puppy
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39288729,00.htm

Sums it up nicely ~ It is an offence.

As to my internet provider's agreement ~ well in the first place I have never signed one but I suppose that by using their service there is a implication of acceptance on my part ~ but as long as I take "reasonable precautions" then that should be sufficient. It is impossible to protect oneself against every gizmo dreamed up by geeks determined to infiltrate your security, be that on your PC or indeed your home. These people, who really love their toys and make any excuse to justify their use, are really sad ~ often spending more money to prove they can "do it" than any profit they can gain from their illegal activities.

Do re-read the OP and those that followed. I did have security measures in place, as recommended by all and sundry. These had been tested by the simple expedient of having a friend sit outside and inside my house with his lap-top trying to piggyback onto my system and he couldn't. The problem now encountered was caused by yet another geek who cannot do what he is employed to do but flies off on a "I know best" mission of his own which resulted in the complete refusal of the system to recognise and permit access to the various Lap-tops spread around the house.

I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Misunderstood

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39288729,00.htm

Sums it up nicely ~ It is an offence.

As to my internet provider's agreement ~ well in the first place I have never signed one but I suppose that by using their service there is a implication of acceptance on my part ~ but as long as I take "reasonable precautions" then that should be sufficient. It is impossible to protect oneself against every gizmo dreamed up by geeks determined to infiltrate your security, be that on your PC or indeed your home. These people, who really love their toys and make any excuse to justify their use, are really sad ~ often spending more money to prove they can "do it" than any profit they can gain from their illegal activities.

Do re-read the OP and those that followed. I did have security measures in place, as recommended by all and sundry. These had been tested by the simple expedient of having a friend sit outside and inside my house with his lap-top trying to piggyback onto my system and he couldn't. The problem now encountered was caused by yet another geek who cannot do what he is employed to do but flies off on a "I know best" mission of his own which resulted in the complete refusal of the system to recognise and permit access to the various Lap-tops spread around the house.

Re-reading your post is not necessary.  I was addressing my comments to the automatic assumption that logging on to someone else's network is always an offence.

It is not quite so.  A degree of intent to wilfully appropriate the resource presented is required to be present and provable in order to justify a conviction.

I was referring to that point and not commenting on whether or not you had properly secured your network.

it does however, present the notion that, if it is unlawful to make use of an unsecured wireless network, then sitting on a wall reading a book with the light provided from a private dwelling after their failure to draw the curtains also be unlawful.  In both cases is is making use of a resource supplied and paid for by someone else - but discarded.

Enforcement of this accumulating minutiae could be one of the base reasons why the net of the police state is relentlessly drawing ever tighter. And also one of the base reasons for failing to address the reasoning of the mass of sometimes mindless legislation that is drowning us.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
Gorra run ~ GEEK ALERT!
I 'spect I shall be off air for a while.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
Gorra run ~ GEEK ALERT!
I 'spect I shall be off air for a while.

You must stop chewing those cables. ::)
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
So what happened?

Is the geek under the patio?

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
Well he came back so I assume his computer is working and the geek was allowed to leave.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
Well I don't suppose he would have deaded the geek until the computer was working.  ;)

I was just interested in what the original cause was.

Knowledge is power after all.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »
Wireless issues.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 02:44:24 PM »
 Banghead

I know that.

I was after something more specific e.g. denying MAC addresses.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »
Banghead

I know that.

Ahhh ok.

It was denying MAC addresses.

cloud9:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:44 PM »
Banghead

I know that.

Ahhh ok.

cloud9:
lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Banghead

I know that.

Ahhh ok.

cloud9:
happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »
Three lap-tops all suddenly got locked out by the wireless router ~ for no apparent reason. Additionally another Geek, under the guise of "I know what I'm doing and this will be much better for you", had loaded some sh*t into my PC that I could not get rid of. Yes, Yes, I know ~ but the registry is somewhere I don't feel qualified to play. Anyway it sat there for 18 months, never used, using valuable memory and slowing me down.
Situation finally resolved by Geek#2 going into the registry and deleting the undeletable, in the process getting rid of Geek#1's "pirate-ware" that was stopping M/Soft allowing me upgrades. So now all is well. All lap-tops are recognised, though the reason for rejection is still unknown, all unwanted sh*t has been deleted, additional memory is being installed on Monday and instead of taking half an hour to open a programme I now have almost instant access again.
Hope that is technical enough for you .... the cost of Geek #1 was a lot of agro but no beer tokens changed hands. Cost of Geek#2 is a couple of free ads in the magazine.

I love trading  cloud9: Soo much better than money and NO tax.

Now I have mucho work to do so forgive me if I only pop in and out over the next couple of days.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
Banghead

I know that.

Ahhh ok.

cloud9:
happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001

Is that because I pulled a funny or because I said something stupid? Because if it is the former then I have used up my joke quota for 2007.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
Thanks Snoopy.

And Wenchy ~  it was funny.