Disgusterous

Author Topic: Lost discs  (Read 3187 times)

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
Lost discs
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7103566.stm

This is good - give em all your details and they will give them away!

RTFM

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: Lost discs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:13:50 PM »
Revenue and Customs says it does not believe the records - names, addresses and bank accounts - have fallen into the wrong hands.

Northern Rock and now this.

NO, let's trust the Government. I am sure they know what they are doing!

noooo:

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:15:51 PM »
This is quite a precedent!

Civil Servant screws up - Civil Servant resigns.

Very strange indeed. There must be more too it than we are being told.
I mostly despair

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
Statement not due until 15:30 so we might get told something, just not necessarily the truth.

Offline Nick

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
I am sure we shall be told the truth. We elected them and we pay them.

Oh, I see redface:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
To be fair, everyone loses somthing at one point or another. Pens, car keys, Nick's marbles. Having said that you woudl think they'd have realised that there was something wrong before 24 million records went walkabout.

Mind you knowing this government you can expect the true number to be much much higher.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »
Why were they wandering about with that info on a disc anyway? Why wasn't it on a computer somewhere and not allowed to leave the building?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:22:48 PM »
Depends on what the information was meant for wemchy. The company I work for won't use FTP sites unless its the secure company one so certain data has to be sent via PGP encrpypted CD or DVD. I may be giving them too much credit but I'd guess it was something similar.

Either that or the government is boosting its income by flogging personal information on the QT.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »
It appears that a junior official in Tyne and Wear was asked for details of all child benefit (the old Family Allowance) recipients by the National Audit office and sent them via TNT, unregistered, on two CDs. This was not the first time this has been done apparently only this time they failed to arrive. The Chancellor says that although he has known about this since the 10th of Nov he only got round to asking the Met to investigate on the 16th. He also says that the two CDs are "password protected". The details on them are the names and addresses of every qualifying child (ie every child under the age of 16 in the UK) as well as the name, benefit number National insurance number and full bank account details of the parents or guardians who receive the money (ie the bank details and Nat Ins number, address etc of some 8.5 million people)

And they want us to trust them with ID card information on computers. I wouldn't trust them with looking after a whelk stall.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:47:08 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:00:03 PM »
This is seriously scarey eeek:. Minister on the radio lying about it, naturally! evil:

Misunderstood

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
Depends on what the information was meant for wemchy. The company I work for won't use FTP sites unless its the secure company one so certain data has to be sent via PGP encrpypted CD or DVD. I may be giving them too much credit but I'd guess it was something similar.

Either that or the government is boosting its income by flogging personal information on the QT.

Sorry to disappoint you but the already do that.  For a small sum you can buy the personal details of anyone that is a Driving Licence holder or Registered Vehicle Keeper.

For some 'special' companies, they do it wholesale, and let them look at the DVLA records for themselves via a 'secure' computer link.   ::)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 08:41:29 AM »
Good interview on R4 this morning with Darling… hopefully the odious tosser is on his way out…  cool14:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »
Don't know what you are all worried about - the Government is not that stupid - the discs are password protected. It is bound to be something completely illogical like C.H.I.L.D.B.E.N.E.F.I.T.

No fraudster could ever compete with that level of secuirty.

So all  - rest you weary heads, don't worry about checking your bank accounts - there is invariably nothing in mine to check anyway, and pass another croissant round as the breakfast club is quite hungry this morning.  lol:
Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
Good interview on R4 this morning with Darling… hopefully the odious tosser is on his way out…  cool14:
Any Chancellor who can't afford to have his eyebrows bleached evokes deep suspicion in me.

Burn him I say.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:39 AM »
Any Chancellor who can't afford to have his eyebrows bleached evokes deep suspicion in me.

Burn him I say.
Agreed...
Pro Skub  Thumbs: