Disgusterous

Author Topic: Lost discs  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Lost discs
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »
Depends on what the information was meant for wemchy. The company I work for won't use FTP sites unless its the secure company one so certain data has to be sent via PGP encrpypted CD or DVD. I may be giving them too much credit but I'd guess it was something similar.

Either that or the government is boosting its income by flogging personal information on the QT.

Sorry to disappoint you but the already do that.  For a small sum you can buy the personal details of anyone that is a Driving Licence holder or Registered Vehicle Keeper.

For some 'special' companies, they do it wholesale, and let them look at the DVLA records for themselves via a 'secure' computer link.   ::)

Yeah Yeah ~ we know that.
 BUT
All the DVLA have of record are my car registration details, my name, address, DoB and details of any points I may have accrued for driving offences ~ some of which anyone buying the info from them must already have before they can do a look up. IE My name/Address or Vehicle Reg must be fed in to gain access to the rest of the info.

The DVLA do not hold my bank account details nor the full names and ages/Dates of Birth/ National Insurance Numbers and National Health Numbers of me, my wife and my three children.
That is the difference.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 09:28:25 AM »
Depends on what the information was meant for wemchy. The company I work for won't use FTP sites unless its the secure company one so certain data has to be sent via PGP encrpypted CD or DVD. I may be giving them too much credit but I'd guess it was something similar.

Either that or the government is boosting its income by flogging personal information on the QT.

Sorry to disappoint you but the already do that.  For a small sum you can buy the personal details of anyone that is a Driving Licence holder or Registered Vehicle Keeper.

For some 'special' companies, they do it wholesale, and let them look at the DVLA records for themselves via a 'secure' computer link.   ::)

BUT
All the DVLA have of record are my car registration details, my name, address, DoB and details of any points I may have accrued for driving offences ~ some of which anyone buying the info from them must already have before they can do a look up. IE My name/Address or Vehicle Reg must be fed in to gain access to the rest of the info.

The DVLA do not hold my bank account details nor the full names and ages/Dates of Birth/ National Insurance Numbers and National Health Numbers of me, my wife and my three children.
That is the difference.
happ096
I mostly despair

Berek

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
Some lawyer bloke on the news last night reckons we could sue for breach of the data protection act

also, my sister in law is the manager of a bank and she told me last night that they knew nothing about it, so much for the banks being informed ahead of yesterdays statement

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »
Seems they may not have even left the building.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1293706,00.html

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »
 drumroll:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »
 happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

chuntering again

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »
Looks like the government are going to pull their usual trick of blaming a junior office clerk for "not following procedures" - the buck stops at the bottom in this country, it seems. What they fail to mention is this is the third time this year HMRC have sent NAO this data in this way; this is just the first time it got lost.

I wonder if Mr Darling will quote Edith Piaf?

Offline Nick

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
I am waiting for Darling to resign. I fear I may have to wait a long time.

chuntering again

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:22 PM »
Like Sir Ian Blair, I suspect mr Darling will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from his particular trough.

What I can't understand is why Ed Balls (fka "the real chancellor of the exchequer") wasn't given this post.

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
That is a mystery, I agree. He knows SFA about education.

Misunderstood

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »

BUT

That is the difference.

Once again you grasp the wrong end of the stick.

1.   I was replying to the observation that the government might not be above selling personal information.
2.   What information is held by DVLA is an Official Secret and may be a lot more embracing that you think.  It certainly will be after the ID integration of
      data.
3.   An example,  A wealthy individual is observed collecting their child at a boarding school, Their name and address is gleaned from the records, the
 house is

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 07:17:32 PM »

I'm just waiting for the next phase where the disks are 'found' to be safely stored somewhere and not duplicates made to cover some MP's worthless arse.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Misunderstood

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 07:21:46 PM »

I'm just waiting for the next phase where the disks are 'found' to be safely stored somewhere and not duplicates made to cover some MP's worthless arse.

Maybe you mean some PM's worthless arse...  Other than that I think you are spot on the money.

Mr Happy

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:17 PM »
A colleague of mine phoned their bank about this to attempt to secure his account (obviously has money in it) and was told to try another company.  On phoning them he was told there was a £12 charge to protect his money.  Brilliant!

I've checked the wife's statement and their appears to be some strange activity on there, The Body Shop £83?