Author Topic: Fish dumping 'will ruin industry'  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Fish dumping 'will ruin industry'
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 09:43:47 AM »
Most of the fish are dead by the time the net is emptied as the sudden rise from deep sea pressure as they are yanked up onto the boat means that they will have drowned on route. Yes it is perfectly possible to drown a fish. All that flapping on the deck is not a sign that the fish are capable of living if returned to the sea. Think death throes.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
Think death throes.

I do every day.
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
As do many of us DS, mostly about other people though.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »
Most of the fish are dead by the time the net is emptied as the sudden rise from deep sea pressure as they are yanked up onto the boat means that they will have drowned on route. Yes it is perfectly possible to drown a fish. All that flapping on the deck is not a sign that the fish are capable of living if returned to the sea. Think death throes.
hardly the point tho...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:05 AM »
hardly the point tho...  noooo:

Oh I agree ~ it is a scandal ..... all I'm saying is that throwing them back is not the right option, no matter how quickly it is done.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 09:56:22 AM »

Thank you Snoopy, in that case it's a bloody stupid waste of perfectly good fish.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »

Thank you Snoopy, in that case it's a bloody stupid waste of perfectly good fish.
Unless you are a seagull (getting the thread full circle)
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »

Its an absolute scandal… yet more proof (if more were needed) that the EU can’t be trusted to tie its own shoelaces let alone manage something as complex as this…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:19 AM »

Its an absolute scandal… yet more proof (if more were needed) that the EU can’t be trusted to tie its own shoelaces let alone manage something as complex as this…  noooo:

Complex??  ::)
I mostly despair

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:47 AM »
Hardly complex. If fish is caught bring it back and sell it. What is complex about that?

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:34 AM »
Hardly complex. If fish is caught bring it back and sell it. What is complex about that?

Thank you for spelling it out on my behalf.
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
Banghead
Managing fish stocks...  ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 10:08:38 AM »
Much as I hate to agree with Greenpeace ~ The answer is to designate large areas (several hundreds of square miles) of the North Sea as "National Parks" and not permit fishing in those areas. This creates safe havens for the fish stocks and can be easily monitored by satellite and enforced by the Royal Navy.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 10:09:24 AM »
Much as I hate to agree with Greenpeace ~ The answer is to designate large (several hundreds of square miles) of the North Sea as "National Parks" and not permit fishing in those areas. This creates safe havens for the fish stocks and can be easily monitored by satellite and enforced by the Royal Navy.

See that makes sense to me.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »
Rocket Science it ain't.