Author Topic: What a load of shite this is  (Read 6385 times)

Shy Talk

What a load of shite this is
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »
 I start a genuine thread asking if the Bear is ok and it just degenerates into the usual shite of one liners like kids in a playground .  cussing:

Pplease cancel my account Mr Barman I'v had enough of this shite site   surrender:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: What a load of shite this is
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
I start a genuine thread asking if the Bear is ok and it just degenerates into the usual shite of one liners like kids in a playground .  cussing:

Pplease cancel my account Mr Barman I'v had enough of this shite site   surrender:
Well your question about the bear was answered in the very first reply and perhaps we should have locked it after that? Personally, I found the rest of the ‘chat’ in the thread quite entertaining but I can appreciate that our ‘style’ does not appeal to everybody…
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Shy Talk

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »

Well your question about the bear was answered in the very first reply and perhaps we should have locked it after that? Personally, I found the rest of the ‘chat’ in the thread quite entertaining but I can appreciate that our ‘style’ does not appeal to everybody…
Its not chat BM its drivel . Stand back and look at the site from someone who visits for the first time or is a new lurker thinking of joining. The whole site consists of half a dozen posters posting nothing of worth . Sorry mate just trying to offer some CONSTRUCTIVE critism of your site . Prolly have ruffled some feathers but Hey! shrugs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:25:15 PM »
To a certain extent I agree with you and I am well aware that I am one of the worst culprits. I did have a thought today about how a lot of those postings would seem to new comers and you are right. It came across at best as terribly cliquey.

However, what would you suggest? The thread that you are actually questioning didn't get dragged off topic until your question had been answered which personally I don't see a problem with. If you want to start a thread with a serious topic then please do so and request it stay on topic and I am sure that we will all attempt to keep it so and if we have anything to add we shall do so.

However, although I may have got the wrong end of the stick this site was never set up with the intention of it being strictly for debate and topics of the moment.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:28:02 PM »

Its not chat BM its drivel . Stand back and look at the site from someone who visits for the first time or is a new lurker thinking of joining. The whole site consists of half a dozen posters posting nothing of worth . Sorry mate just trying to offer some CONSTRUCTIVE critism of your site . Prolly have ruffled some feathers but Hey! shrugs:
Well each to his own I suppose – this certainly isn’t a site for in-depth serious discussions at the moment, there are thousands of others dedicated to many subjects that cover that area….

I appreciate your feedback and certainly don’t consider myself to be ruffled by it… if you can think of a way we improve the site and increase the number of visitors without alienating those (including myself) that enjoy the ‘drivel’ and use the site on a daily basis I’d be happy to give it a trial.

A new section perhaps for ‘serious discussions’ would be easy to implement and as long as the ‘off topic’ alarm wasn’t raised every time anybody stepped minutely out of line I suspect that some of us would be pleased to post there…

Let us know your thoughts…  
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »

.... this site was never set up with the intention of it being strictly for debate and topics of the moment.

This, for me, is a vital point. I can do that at work or in my own living room or down the real pub. I have no desire to find myself in a GOM like enviroment. The 'Chat room' feel suits me better. Having said that the 'serious discussions' section idea has merit. At least everyone would know where to go when in a more serious posting mood.

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »

.... this site was never set up with the intention of it being strictly for debate and topics of the moment.

This, for me, is a vital point. I can do that at work or in my own living room or down the real pub. I have no desire to find myself in a GOM like enviroment. The 'Chat room' feel suits me better. Having said that the 'serious discussions' section idea has merit. At least everyone would know where to go when in a more serious posting mood.

Then perhaps that is the answer. It will be taken under advisement!  ;)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »

Then perhaps that is the answer. It will be taken under advisement!  ;)
I've been for that for some time...

What thinks you Shy Talk?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:16 PM »
I vote for a 'serious topics' room.

I would promise to respect it and only post seriously.

A point well made young Shy-tey.

Subject to correct grammar, spelling, factual accuracy and no explodable phalluses
I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »
Que?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Shy Talk

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:19:12 PM »
This the pub's welcome message
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to our forum!

I was searching for somewhere ion the Internet to have a moan and perhaps meet likeminded people. The idea of a ?virtual pub? came to mind where you could exchange views, argue your point and generally put the world right. Even better, we?re not obliged to introduce the smoking ban on July 1st and have no annoying pop-up advertising to distract you!

Feel free to contribute your own thoughts and views ? there are separate sections for moaning, idle gossip and posting those wonderful internet jokes and cartoons that are always doing the rounds.

Like any pub it won?t suit everybody ? perhaps the one up the road with the pool table and loud juke box is more to your taste? However, we?d be delighted if you decide to stay a while and contribute to the board ? feel free to introduce yourself

Not exactly how the site has developed is it ??

Its like going into a pub and the only people in there is a small group of friends gathered around you're there stood by them not being asked to join in nor understanding or finding the coversation interesting cos its all about either their personal life or childish banter .

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
It's how things go. You make a change then!

I see Wenchy has responded already with a serious forum!!

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »
Not wishing to stir things up, so i'll keep it short  lol: and sweet.

I must say that one of the reasons for my absence recently, has been for the very reasons that our learned friend Shy Talk has so eloquently stated.....i've felt as though i don't really fit in due to my apparent lack (to some it seems to me anyway) of intelligence and verbal ability to 'fit in' on some matters.
Rather than bite back and rant and rage, i simply decided that the best method of dealing with it was to simply keep quiet, and NOT get involved in personal slanging matches. THAT is not the way to resolve disagreements as we all know. No one wins. noooo:

Now i really really really do NOT want to fall out with ANYONE in here, as I had more than a belly full of that elsewhere as many of you will know, but i do sometimes feel quite intimidated, and without wishing to sound overly sensitive, wounded  by the apparent ( to me )  stigma that i feel is sometimes placed upon me due to my admitted lower (than most of you) educational background, and apparent bad temper and impatience towards others.
You'd really have to meet me to appreciate that whilst some of this is in fact true, especially the lower than average educational background...many reasons for that as previously documented in other threads ...that i'm not actually that thick in reality, and  i'd like to think that those that have met me in person will confirm that you don't actually see the real me on a forum, merely an impression, just like we all have in our own minds what each of us are like.
It has turned into a bit of 'chums' club imho, and i think the suggestion of having a seperate board for the more serious stuff could well be a good idea.
Certainly worth a try for the sake of pressing a few buttons. 
No one surely wants to see anyone leave the pub simply beacause of cliquiness, and that includes Shy Talk.

Have i made any sense here? rubschin:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
Welcome back!! We have missed you!

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »
Welcome back!! We have missed you!

Not really the answer i was looking for, but pleasant all the same.
I'm not so sure everyone would quite agree with your sentiments however.

No need for welcomes and flowers strapped to lamposts anyway. I haven't been anywhere ffs! ::)